Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 09:44 AM

45,408 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Valid advice. No foreigner is ever guaranteed re-entry to the US. Ever.

It's a failing of our public education system that so many people don't know that fact.
No it isn't a failing. Where exactly would you fit that in? And why? The vast majority of students, if not all of them in many, in most school systems are natural born citizen so they'd have zero need to know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 09:45 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Not saying they aren't.

But it's unlikely to stand because it's contrary to the spirit of the law, and the Trump administration has already backed off.
Not at all contrary to immigration law. And as previously noted, the legal expert interviewed by CNN concurs. The law and court rulings favor Trump on this.

It's a shame that so many in the US are so ignorant.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't care if it's constitutional or not.
And there you have the ideology/mindset that destroys a nation.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:50 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
And there you have the ideology/mindset that destroys a nation.
For too long conservatives have had a vision of constitutionality that was impractical. There are times when the situation demands that we go outside of the established norms to come up with the most practical, needed solution.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
I don't care if it's constitutional or not.

Most immigrants from these countries are probably peaceful and just looking for a better life, but what obligation do we have to take anyone from anywhere? We don't have an obligation.
We don't. We most certainly do not have an obligation to Wall Street either to continue the stupid wars.

Quote:
Furthermore, I wish the ban went further. These are not the most dangerous countries in terms of terrorism, but are probably the most politically passable at this point.

These migrants from majority Muslim countries are going to proportionally have a higher percentage of people who want to do serious harm to the country than non-Muslim countries. There are issues with immigration writ-large, but there are problems within this specific subset of migrants. I see no reason his ban isn't a start in protecting the public.

Yes, some people are going to have their dreams taken away or be inconvenienced, but if these people really want change, they need to be change agents to ensure their own countries are not hellholes that people want to escape from.
Actually, the U.S. a Christian nation is doing the most harm.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No it isn't a failing. Where exactly would you fit that in? And why? The vast majority of students, if not all of them in many, in most school systems are natural born citizen so they'd have zero need to know it.
I'm not getting the 'if it doesn't apply to me, I don't need to know it' mindset.

Did the Holocaust apply to them? No? Do they then not need to know about it? Did Stalin starving tens of millions of Russians to death apply to them? No? Do they then not need to know about it. Etc.....

You've expressed a very odd attitude. I'm hoping that was sarcasm.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
For too long conservatives have had a vision of constitutionality that was impractical. There are times when the situation demands that we go outside of the established norms to come up with the most practical, needed solution.
Determined by whom? Therein lies the problem. Do you not understand that?

Old 01-30-2017, 09:54 AM

8,157 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Not at all contrary to immigration law. And as previously noted, the legal expert interviewed by CNN concurs. The law and court rulings favor Trump on this.

It's a shame that so many in the US are so ignorant.

Ok, let me repeat - they already went back on the part of the order that applies to permanent residents.

Why? The answer is in others' and my comments above.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:58 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,922 times
Then the Constitution is wrong. Saying something is "constitutional" or legal" sounds great, but that doesn't make it good. It's like the phrase "freedom of the press"- as if that is something sacred. We are too "free" in America.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Ok, let me repeat - they already went back on the part of the order that applies to permanent residents.
How so? Can you cite anything that guarantees LPRs the right of automatic re-entry to the US?

FYI, US residents with a US passport don't even have that right. They must pass through Immigration and be approved for re-entry to the US.

Have you never traveled abroad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies