Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 07:50 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times

Advertisements

As much as I "get" Trump and his policies, I think it's fair that Americans should pay for it. Or at least, halve the money. You can't expect Mexico to pay in full.

P.S. I'm from Australia so excuse my ignorance, but don't you guys already have a wall between US and Mexico? Or am I seeing things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 08:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Florida.

Jobs are landscaping, agricultural, ferneries, handy man type stuff, fencing, roofing, etc,
And no Americans in FL are willing to take those jobs? I find that hard to believe. I don't think I've ever seen anyone BUT Americans (not Hispanic) doing handyman work, fencing, and roofing in IL. Furthermore, a buddy I know has a landscaping business and posts the jobs in local high schools and colleges every year and the students are thrilled to get those jobs. Our botanical gardens are filled with a good mix of people - both Hispanic and not.

Apparently, Illinois doesn't have uppity people who think certain jobs are beneath them, as they must where you live.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:21 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Yes, because that still means we don't have to pay in terms of lost jobs, depressed wages, drug-related crime, gang violence, welfare, food stamps, Section 8 housing, the money spent to education illegals and anchor babies in our colleges, etc. All that accumulates very quickly.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
As much as I "get" Trump and his policies, I think it's fair that Americans should pay for it. Or at least, halve the money. You can't expect Mexico to pay in full.

P.S. I'm from Australia so excuse my ignorance, but don't you guys already have a wall between US and Mexico? Or am I seeing things?
Ethereal, it's a great question. We have what is actually more like a fence, and it only covers a very small part of the border.

Here's a photo and article that may be helpful:

This Is What the U.S.-Mexico Border Wall Actually Looks Like

Old 01-28-2017, 09:09 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
I'll not only help pay, I'll go help construct it.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:53 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And no Americans in FL are willing to take those jobs? I find that hard to believe. I don't think I've ever seen anyone BUT Americans (not Hispanic) doing handyman work, fencing, and roofing in IL. Furthermore, a buddy I know has a landscaping business and posts the jobs in local high schools and colleges every year and the students are thrilled to get those jobs. Our botanical gardens are filled with a good mix of people - both Hispanic and not.

Apparently, Illinois doesn't have uppity people who think certain jobs are beneath them, as they must where you live.

All I can tell you is I have a tree uprooted and multiple sections of fence that need to be replaced due to hurricane damage and/or aging damage.

Mexican landscaper is eager to do the work.

Five American companies are not. They made appointments to provide estimates and didn't show. Called again, scheduled appointments to give estimates, no show.

Honestly, I would prefer American workers who are experienced with tree trimming and/or fencing.

But, if I cant get them to show up, eventually I will probably go with my Mexican landscaper who is at least a hard worker and dependable.

I'm only prepared to wait on Americans for so long.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:58 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Sure, why not. John oliver estimated it would cost $77 per person. lets round it up to $100. I'm in, and i'll even pay my liberal friends portion.

John Oliver Calculates How Much Donald Trump's Border Wall Would Actually Cost | Hollywood Reporter

Old 01-28-2017, 10:36 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Ethereal, it's a great question. We have what is actually more like a fence, and it only covers a very small part of the border.

Here's a photo and article that may be helpful:

This Is What the U.S.-Mexico Border Wall Actually Looks Like
Yeah, I've seen pictures of the wall. I could've sworn that it existed. Yes, it has a "fence" look to it. But it does look secure to me. Isn't it decent enough or can people actually climb over it (hence Trump's wall plan to fix that)?

Old 01-29-2017, 05:55 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
All this wall talk. So, if you have to pay for the wall, would you rather spend the money to physically stop intruders with more border patrol?

Can it even be done?

Which is cheaper in the long run?

Finally, what stops Mexicans et al from simply flying to Canada and walking south? Will we need another wall?
I am not for the wall if the average US citizen is paying for it in higher taxes.

Any way, the real problem now is not the average Mexican but all the illegals coming from Central & South America via Mexico into the USA.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:05 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Stopping the flow of illegals would be done quickly and economically. Just enforce the statutes on hiring illegals. Stiff fines and maybe some prison time for a few CEOs/execs would put a stop to it pronto.

The GOP, in particular, has no desire to do so.

Their corporate masters benefit greatly from the presence of millions of sub minimum wage illegals in the US workforce, holding down wages and benefits for the rest of America.

Ever wonder why the pols never mention taking this obvious step? Instead they want billions for a wall that'll have a negligible impact on border crossers while consuming a tremendous amount of resources much better spent on highways, bridges, airports and other badly needed infrastructure.

How come Pubs hate to spend taxpayer dollars to benefit taxpayers?
Personally, I think that people are not against the wall because they think it won't work. I think they are against it because they are afraid it will.

Saying "it won't work" seems to be a talking point of a lot of people on the left, but look at how they are reacting to the wall nationwide. Something that you think won't work does not draw that kind of passion.

Democrats have no problem spending over $100 billion to educate and provide health care to millions of people that have no business being here, but they go crazy over $10 billion to build a wall? It doesn't add up.

I agree that we should be enforcing laws against against hiring illegals. That would be great. It never happens. There are just too many people that have the opportunity to look the other way. And not just republicans. Look at the democratic mayors of sanctuary cities. They will surely look the other way even if the federal government tells them not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies