Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 03:15 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times

Advertisements

At approximately 2:30 am Thursday morning the Huffington Post reported that the Commonwealth of Virginia asked a federal judge late Wednesday night to force President Donald Trump, U.S. Customs and Border Protection and top government officials to show why they shouldn’t be held in contempt for failing to obey a lawful court order.

The temporary restraining order issued Saturday night by U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema of the Eastern District of Virginia required Customs and Border Protection to allow attorneys access to legal permanent residents that CBP had detained at Dulles International Airport as a result of Trump’s executive order blocking people from seven Muslim-majority nations from traveling to the U.S. Saturday’s court order also forbade CBP from deporting any of the legal permanent residents ― also known as green-card holders ― detained at Dulles for seven days.

When federal judges rule against the government, any official implicated in the order, including the president, is supposed to obey ― even if they believe the court’s order is incorrect.

However, CBP did not obey the court’s order. Instead, it openly defied it. The border agency never let attorneys near the people it was detaining. Over the past few days, as many as 6 different members of Congress asked the CBP to follow the law which allows LEGAL permanent residents to be represented by an attorney in situations such as the one we've been watching unfold at airports across the country.

In addition to Trump and CBP, the Department of Homeland Security, DHS chief John Kelly, acting CBP Commissioner Kevin K. McAleenan, Dulles CBP head Wayne Biondi and eight unnamed CBP agents are defendants in the lawsuit. Their “conduct and refusal to account for their actions last weekend suggests disobedience” to the court’s order, Virginia charged in its brief.

TEXT OF CONTEMPT ORDER

If Trump ignores this court order as he has others, the US may end up on the brink of a Constitutional Crisis. We are a nation of laws and no one gets to pick and choose which ones to obey and which to ignore - not an illegal alien and not the President of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 03:23 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,244,554 times
Sounds like a good fake news story...CNN is that you?

Old 02-02-2017, 03:25 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Huffington Post... arguably worse. Go figure.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:26 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,115,126 times
I was thinking that this would probably happen. Good. No one is above the law of the land...even if they think they are.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:32 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Bannon and Trump are using EO to see what they can get away with.

Guess we'll see.

If the courts fold, we're toast.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:33 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,769,802 times
Quote:
Yes, I was thinking along this line. Plus, isn't it interesting that somehow HuffPo (seemingly) gets the headline in the middle of the night.

It just never stops, does it? There seem to be an endless number of minions who are paid or coerced to set distracting fires everywhere. Once again, I believe it is Soros or some of his henchmen hard at work.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:34 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,860,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I was thinking that this would probably happen. Good. No one is above the law of the land...even if they think they are.
Does this include the Mayors and city councils of Sanctuary city's?

I glad you agree and these /\ people should be arrested and charged with obstruction of justice.

RR

Old 02-02-2017, 03:36 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post

I glad you agree and these /\ people should be arrested and charged with obstruction of justice.

RR
So deserving of a re-post.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:56 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,115,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post

RR
Some of the Mayors are talking about taking President Trump to task for this...he is overstepping his bounds and trying to unsurp Local and State rights.

Quote:
But, Inslee told reporters last week, “It is my belief that our local communities, our local police departments, our local city councils and mayors are the ones to decide what their police forces should be doing.
“We know that police forces believe if they’re forced to be agents for Donald Trump, it intrudes on their ability to be good police officers,” Inslee said, citing concerns that people won’t report crimes if they worry police will hassle them about their immigration status.
The Washington State Patrol has a longstanding policy of not collecting information about immigration status when conducting traffic stops, officials said. The agency has no intent to change its policy, and doesn’t think its federal money is at risk, spokesman Kyle Moore said.
Olympia has a similar policy of not inquiring about immigration status when people apply for city services or interact with police. The state’s capital city passed a resolution in December labeling itself a sanctuary city.
“We won’t interfere with the federal government in their enforcing of their laws, but we are going to leave to them what is their responsibility to enforce,” city of Olympia spokeswoman Kellie Purce Braseth said. “If it’s not ours to do, then we will leave it to the federal government to do it.”
Purce Braseth said she doesn’t know if that will put Olympia at risk of losing federal funding.
“Like all the cities that are sanctuary cities, we are waiting to see how that works out,” she said.

read more of this article here:

http://www.theolympian.com/news/poli...129947119.html

Old 02-02-2017, 01:21 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Quote:
LOL!

I love how some folks refuse to click on the links provided because it might upset their view about things. Yeah, I hacked the computers of the high courts in the Commonwealth of Virginia. I'm so damn smart. That's me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies