Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 01:58 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,860,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
BLM has founders . BLM has an agenda . They have meetings etc .
They have a website etc .

They are obviously not just a hashtag .
Nobody is buying that .
Did you look at the links I included in my response....

And FWIW when I looked at the website provided earlier, all the upcoming events said they were in Dubai lol...Black Lives Matter - Events Calendar

Their "about" section says the following:
Quote:
Black Lives Matter is a unique contribution that goes beyond extrajudicial killings of Black people by police and vigilantes. It goes beyond the narrow nationalism that can be prevalent within some Black communities, which merely call on Black people to love Black, live Black and buy Black, keeping straight cis Black men in the front of the movement while our sisters, ***** and trans and disabled folk take up roles in the background or not at all. Black Lives Matter affirms the lives of Black ***** and trans folks, disabled folks, Black-undocumented folks, folks with records, women and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. It centers those that have been marginalized within Black liberation movements. It is a tactic to (re)build the Black liberation movement
Nowhere does it say it is a group or organization. It is a "unique contribution."

FWIW many black organizations feel that BLM is similar to how you conservatives view it - a white run, Soros funded organization mean to divert attention away from real issues facing black communities and neighborhoods.

Nothing I've seen about BLM shows that they are a cohesive group or organization with a national agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 02:02 PM

19,889 posts, read 12,179,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

And FWIW when I looked at the website provided earlier, all the upcoming events said they were in Dubai lol...Black Lives Matter - Events Calendar

Nowhere does it say it is a group or organization. It is a "unique contribution."

FWIW many black organizations feel that BLM is similar to how you conservatives view it - a white run, Soros funded organization mean to divert attention away from real issues facing black communities and neighborhoods.

Nothing I've seen about BLM shows that they are a cohesive group or organization with a national agenda..

It is a tactic to (re)build the Black Liberation Movement.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:30 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,678,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Nothing I've seen about BLM shows that they are a cohesive group or organization with a national agenda.

BLM has been namedropped a LOT in conjunction with riotous activity. Even the sympathetic media has named it as the "organization" behind getting these ...events...put together. So, your saying this is a misrepresentation? That there is no actual organized effort behind BLM? The people claiming affiliation with it are presenting it as an organization as is the media. I grant it comes off as a very reactionary outfit. The aforementioned riotous activity done in its name have all seemed pretty fast and loose.

The people involved at the grass roots level seem more interested in an excuse to overtly rob, riot and create mayhem than further some actual agenda. Many of them aren't even Black. Just would be rebels without a cause. Or a clue. Still , BLM has been labeled an organization. That horse has left the corral. That's how it's being seen, and perception is what matters when stuff like this video gets out.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
BLM has been namedropped a LOT in conjunction with riotous activity. Even the sympathetic media has named it as the "organization" behind getting these ...events...put together. So, your saying this is a misrepresentation? That there is no actual organized effort behind BLM? The people claiming affiliation with it are presenting it as an organization as is the media. I grant it comes off as a very reactionary outfit. The aforementioned riotous activity done in its name have all seemed pretty fast and loose.

The people involved at the grass roots level seem more interested in an excuse to overtly rob, riot and create mayhem than further some actual agenda. Many of them aren't even Black. Just would be rebels without a cause. Or a clue. Still , BLM has been labeled an organization. That horse has left the corral. That's how it's being seen, and perception is what matters when stuff like this video gets out.
On the bold, I have personally been involved in many community and civil rights organizations since I went to college. They were predominantly focused on the black community of the areas of which I lived. All the local ones were non-profits and all the national ones were well known like NAACP and Urban League.

So yes, I am saying it is a vast misrepresentation. There is no national organization behind BLM. The media sells controversey to its viewers and the most controversial things that sell with them are sex and racial issues.

I provided a link to the local organization in my area, that the media calls BLM but they are not BLM. In Atlanta when those protestors went out and blocked the highway there, they were labeled as BLM. I know someone who took some protestors to that particular occurrence. Their organization is not affiliated with any BLM and have been around since the 1980s.

BLM is a catch all hashtag for the media to describe any black activist. IMO this serves to minimize the actual grass roots organizations in many communities and it severs the distinction between these groups politically and socially. The one in Atlanta that took part in that protest, they are primarily a neighborhood social assistance organization.

What you stated in the red is something that many people I know in the activist world speak on as well - that these groups are labeled as BLM when they are really ultra-liberal white political activist groups. They are not "black" groups they just have signs so everyone says they are BLM. Many of them are white led environmental groups or LGBTQ organizations who if they see a call for action with the hashtag will make a showing with their t-shirts and homemade signs and then the media tells everyone it is BLM. Many black community organizations feel this is done to put a negative slur on black social activism and makes media ignore those groups who are actually working on real issues facing black neighborhoods. It also causes a lot of divisiveness in our country on race unnecessarily. It also characterizes ALL black activists as rioters which further diminishes our effectiveness in building coalitions and further missions in our areas.

One that I remember occurred in Atlanta a while ago. From the link:

Quote:
According to the news site, field organizer Mary Hooks of the group Southerners on New Ground told the Associated Press that she and other grassroots groups planned the protest for a nationwide week of resistance against police brutality and mass incarceration.
Please review the link for Southerners on New Ground. It is a "qu eer"liberation" organization. It is not representative of black people in America. This group was the actual organizer of this protest.

And I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here in the thread, but just wanted to let you all know that just because someone has on a t-shirt doesn't mean they are a member of any group called "Black Lives Matter." They don't have any national organization or platform. It is a hashtag sent out by other grassroots organizations that implore people to come out for a mass protest. You never know who these people are or what they represent unless you go on Twitter really and see who issued the initial "call." So blindly calling them "Black Lives Matter Protestors" and especially to denigrate black people racially in a stereotypical way is not warranted (and please note I'm not saying anyone did this but I have personally experienced this, which is why I like to get it out there that these protestors, many times are not even black lead organizations).

Last edited by residinghere2007; 01-31-2017 at 02:58 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 02:56 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,698,860 times
So instead of sending out Twitter calls, why not call to meet with the Government, or the police departments, or whatever they are protesting against to work WITH those departments for change?

Blocking a highway, or a street, or clogging up a sidewalk to protest what some feel is an injustice to them creates havoc for those who are not involved and who are trying to live their lives peacefully. It creates bitterness, and hatred towards those who wish to inconvenience everyone else to get a point across.

For example, do you think that someone who is trying to get to work, or trying to rush to the hospital after getting a call, or who needs to get to the grocery store to buy baby formula are going to suddenly decide that they want to stand with the cause after being blocked and prohibited from getting where they need to go?

The goal should be to make lives better for everyone, not cause other people headache because they want to prove a point.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
In the case of BLM, their is a group and then there's the hashtag individuals like the lady in the video. Part of the problem is, like you said, people want to be ignorant to the fact that the actual BLM group isn't putting out these radical ideas aside from a tweet somebody posted in here that was clearly sarcastic. People are using "BLM" as code for just black people and they think they are slick. The same people will quickly point to one of the many white males that kills cops and says "lone wolf" even though said white male will have all kinds of Confederate flags, Trump Stickers, right-wing iconography displayed all over the place....but "nope, he's a lone wolf with mental issues"...but with BLM its a big conspiracy.
The red is what I'm getting at. Any group of black protesters is labeled as "BLM" and that serves to legitimize true black activist and their protests and activities, furthers the racial divide in the country whereas media will play these videos and those of you who do not have any personal association with black Americans will believe that all black "protestors" agree with this line of rhetoric, and it places the label of "violent rioter" on all black Americans who gather in public.

We should not be so guillible IMO at falling for this. I personally feel that most white Americans also agree that there can and should be smart reforms when it comes to LE and their interactions with the public based just on the videos released over the past few years and the fact that they too have issues with mistreatment by LE. Putting BLM on the news to represent all black people only causes a division amongst all Americans so that this issue cannot be addressed like it should be IMO.

But black people work on way more issues than police brutality. I honestly have never been involved in this type of direct action campaign at all. Mostly when I volunteered and administered on committees in organizations they dealt with bringing police into our neighborhoods and letting them know we wanted them in the neighborhood to help deter crime and to get to know the citizens of the neighborhood so that they wouldn't be apt to treat them poorly.

Black people also have rogue, ridiculous groups, many with nationalistic stances that are similar to the loopy uber liberal activists. Them going out and the media labeling them BLM is disingenuous and further causes the divide stated earlier. They are a fringe population of black America for the most part and should not be portrayed as being representative of the demographic.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
So instead of sending out Twitter calls, why not call to meet with the Government, or the police departments, or whatever they are protesting against to work WITH those departments for change?

Blocking a highway, or a street, or clogging up a sidewalk to protest what some feel is an injustice to them creates havoc for those who are not involved and who are trying to live their lives peacefully. It creates bitterness, and hatred towards those who wish to inconvenience everyone else to get a point across.

For example, do you think that someone who is trying to get to work, or trying to rush to the hospital after getting a call, or who needs to get to the grocery store to buy baby formula are going to suddenly decide that they want to stand with the cause after being blocked and prohibited from getting where they need to go?

The goal should be to make lives better for everyone, not cause other people headache because they want to prove a point.
On the bold, this is actually what real black activist organizations do. The public just doesn't know about it because the media says all black people are in BLM and makes it like these rogue, extremist groups represent all black community activists. The group I put a link for in my local area, they personally know our police chief and leaders and they have a good relationship with the PD here.

I have personally worked with many police officers and been a contact person for he neighborhood I lived in and went to monthly (sometimes bi-monthly) meetings on the issue of crime in the neighborhood I lived in at the time. Due to working with police, crime decreased about 50% in 4 years.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:09 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,778,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
And it is not that she is just a whacko with a megaphone. The crowd was cheering her on. The crowd agreed with her. That is the scary part. There are lots of people who think just like her.

If they have a valid point to make, it is lost when it is conveyed in such a vile racist hateful manner.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:11 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,814,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep...as soon as you agree that the Republican Party is anti black.

Til then...nope.
Wow

Talk about a disconnect

Old 01-31-2017, 03:12 PM

16,913 posts, read 10,632,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
And it is not that she is just a whacko with a megaphone. The crowd was cheering her on. The crowd agreed with her. That is the scary part. There are lots of people who think just like her.

If they have a valid point to make, it is lost when it is conveyed in such a vile racist hateful manner.
BLM has basically become a terror organization. Maybe Trump will address the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies