Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Please explain to me why the left is in such opposition to a 120 day hold on people traveling into our country from certain countries that have high terrorist ties ?
Why are the SJW’s are going ballistic over 109 people out of 325,000 have been affected ? If this hold, and that is what it is could possible avoid another Beltway Sniper (s) (21 killed), another Boston Bomber (3killed) , Another San Bernardino (14 killed), another Orlando nightclub attack(49 killed), or possible another 9/11 (3000 killed)]
Doing things just for the sake of pandering to the base, and without any coordination with government departments is stupid. No one in US has been killed by a refugee from any of the countries on his list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 09:19 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
So now, rather than being the Great Satan, are we the Even Greater Satan?

I know it's surprising, but they hated us before and hate us now. You are assuming these people act based on a Western mentality. They don't. They only understand force.
One way I can clearly see where it puts us at risk is getting help from the local populations to fight ISIS. People who helped the US in Iraq, putting themselves and their families at risk were a great asset to our troops. Now these people are targets and want to escape and we basically said, "sorry, you're on your own." These are people who were already throughly vetted in order to help troops by being liaisons and interpreters. And yes, whole families of interpreters and the like were turned around and sent back due to this EO.

What kind of message does that send? Help the US and they will double cross you and send you and your family in harms way? Who will help us now? We will lose an asset that helped our troops and our troops will be distrusted when they go back to fight ISIS like Trump promised.

As it stands now, the Pentagon is trying to figure out a way around the EO to help those who helped out troops. But its reactionary, they weren't prepared because they didn't know this was coming.

Trump's issue is he's not vetting his plans with those who might be able to see flaws. He doesn't need to announce anything, but contact other lawmakers, contact intelligence agencies, contact the military and ask for their input before rushing policy out the door.

His other issue is he's making a bunch of EOs-- all of which can be overturned. They way to get balanced and lasting laws is to put them through Congress because that's their job, making laws. It's a Republican Congress too! So there is no reason not to do things through them.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:19 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
How is it that you do not know that in every case you listed, the suspect was living in the US legally. A travel ban would not have prevented not one of those shootings. These people did Not just fly into the US and go on a killing spree.

Okay, good point. I shouldn't have even used those as examples. I should have used what is going on in Europe as an example.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:20 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Because it was a total chit show from the very beginning with five -year olds being handcuffed and people with green cards being refused entry.

It should not apply ( and now supposedly doesn't) to people already vetted such as green card holders and people ALREADY here on student visa's.

Had Trump bothered to inform his heads of state - maybe the roll out would not have been such a complete and utter embarrassment to our country.
I've been with Trump's stuff so far, but this.

This was probably the only bad thing about it. People with green cards should've been let in on Satuday morning, and they shouldn't have just been like "oh, yall are in the air already? well too bad LOL".

That was my only big issue with the whole thing. But now that green card holders are good, I don't see why people are still protesting when, at least now, it's the same ish that Obama did in 2011.

NOW, the people rioting are just doing it cause of Trump. In reality, none of those protesters give a rat's ass if people from those 7 countries come to the USA or not. The problem is, the Dems are still making this an issue than it should be.

Case in point, Amy Schumer's uncle who went on stage crying about something he literally vouched and voted for a little bit over a year ago in 2015. Come on, dude. Seriously?

Old 01-31-2017, 09:20 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Doing things just for the sake of pandering to the base, and without any coordination with government departments is stupid. No one in US has been killed by a refugee from any of the countries on his list.

So do we wait for another 9/11 and then do something ? After seeing the turmoil this has created, maybe would should just open the borders to everyone and we can all fend for ourselves.

Answer this :
If one could go back in time before 9/11 and implement this temporary hold, which would prevent it ever happening , would you still be opposed to it?

Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Okay, good point. I shouldn't have even used those as examples. I should have used what is going on in Europe as an example.
You mean the Paris attacks, where most of the attackers were native born French or Belgian citizens, or the Nice attacks, where the attacker was a Tunisian with legal French residency? (Tunisia is a former French colony.)

Old 01-31-2017, 09:24 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I've been with Trump's stuff so far, but this.

This was probably the only bad thing about it. People with green cards should've been let in on Satuday morning, and they shouldn't have just been like "oh, yall are in the air already? well too bad LOL".

That was my only big issue with the whole thing. But now that green card holders are good, I don't see why people are still protesting when, at least now, it's the same ish that Obama did in 2011.

NOW, the people rioting are just doing it cause of Trump. In reality, none of those protesters give a rat's ass if people from those 7 countries come to the USA or not. The problem is, the Dems are still making this an issue than it should be.

Case in point, Amy Schumer's uncle who went on stage crying about something he literally vouched and voted for a little bit over a year ago in 2015. Come on, dude. Seriously?
On the bold, I am also concerned about the fact that students on student visas are being denied access to their universities based on this order. A student at my alma mater was refused entry into the country this weekend and sent back to Saudi Arabia. The student has a student visa, is a Yemeni national, but lives in SA due to political instability of Yemen.

This ban has very negatively impacted American universities, many of which have decent sized populations of international students who actually pay more to attend those universities than domestic students.

This could decrease enrollment at American universities in the future due to the backlash and cause financial issues at our colleges/universities as a result.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
More than seeing little old ladies getting their carry on luggage emptied out at the airport ? More than seeing my 16 year old daughter pulled aside , patted down and checked for explosive residue on her hands ? Sure that stuff sucks and going thru security at the airport is a huge PITA , but if it makes us safer I will go with it.

Yes, maybe the rollout wasn't the best executed thing , but a change of that magnitude will always have some sort of ramifications.

So again, I ask. Does this warrant the idiocracy that is running thru our country at the moment ? Protests and blockades at the airport ? People becoming unhinged over this ?
If you don't see the difference between your daughter being patted down in a moment and people who have been vetted and should have legal access to the United States being held without warning at the border for 24, 48, or more hours (not to mention those who are currently out of the country for work or pleasure being told they cannot return to their homes, jobs, or families), then it's no use discussing.

We are not safer for a 5 year old boy being held in custody without access to his legal immigrant parents because he has Iranian citizenship. We are not safer barring professors, post-doc researchers, doctors, and others who have chosen to bring their talents to the United States (again, legally) with a stroke of a pen. We are not safer for barring an Australian-born teenager from attending space camp because he inherited Iranian citizenship from his father. These people have been vetted already.

Will the US be compensating those with green cards or permanent residency who are unable to pay their mortgage this month because they are stuck out of the country?

Old 01-31-2017, 09:26 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Our current vetting policy is efficient and effective. There is no need for a 120 day moratorium based upon the President's racial prejudice.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:29 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
One way I can clearly see where it puts us at risk is getting help from the local populations to fight ISIS. People who helped the US in Iraq, putting themselves and their families at risk were a great asset to our troops. Now these people are targets and want to escape and we basically said, "sorry, you're on your own." These are people who were already throughly vetted in order to help troops by being liaisons and interpreters. And yes, whole families of interpreters and the like were turned around and sent back due to this EO.

What kind of message does that send? Help the US and they will double cross you and send you and your family in harms way? Who will help us now? We will lose an asset that helped our troops and our troops will be distrusted when they go back to fight ISIS like Trump promised.

As it stands now, the Pentagon is trying to figure out a way around the EO to help those who helped out troops. But its reactionary, they weren't prepared because they didn't know this was coming.

Trump's issue is he's not vetting his plans with those who might be able to see flaws. He doesn't need to announce anything, but contact other lawmakers, contact intelligence agencies, contact the military and ask for their input before rushing policy out the door.

His other issue is he's making a bunch of EOs-- all of which can be overturned. They way to get balanced and lasting laws is to put them through Congress because that's their job, making laws. It's a Republican Congress too! So there is no reason not to do things through them.
Is there an exemption process? I know from experience that even if there is something like a hiring freeze in place, there is almost always a process to get an exemption.

I think the normal assumption is that people are denied from coming here unless they can prove they should be allowed in, rather than the assumption being they should be allowed in until it's proven they shouldn't be.

We have enough people already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies