Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 11:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,605,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
More than seeing little old ladies getting their carry on luggage emptied out at the airport ? More than seeing my 16 year old daughter pulled aside , patted down and checked for explosive residue on her hands ? Sure that stuff sucks and going thru security at the airport is a huge PITA , but if it makes us safer I will go with it.

Yes, maybe the rollout wasn't the best executed thing , but a change of that magnitude will always have some sort of ramifications.

So again, I ask. Does this warrant the idiocracy that is running thru our country at the moment ? Protests and blockades at the airport ? People becoming unhinged over this ?
If you define peaceful protests as 'unhinged' ~ that's on YOU.

Reasonable people can disagree as to whether this makes us safer AT ALL or whether it's just another recruiting tool for ISIS.

Perchance, if Trump has not run around screaming for a 'MUSLIM BAN' prior to the election - we would not be in this position now.

I will admit that Obama certainly didn't go all out for Syrian refugees. He let in , what, 3000 ~ while other countries took much, much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 11:43 AM

203 posts, read 246,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because law abiding immigrants in this country, our neighbors, our friends and family members have been caught up in the rush to xenophobia. You are punishing 109 people who have followed all the laws of the land, for doing nothing more than originally having been from a particular Muslim country. They are not to blame for any attacks on the US. They are greencard holders who have done everything "right, many of whom have actually risked their own lives to save other Americans in the case of the Iraqi translators.

And yes, of course I would oppose it pre 9/11, as it would do ZERO to prevent it. I say that as someone who watched the towers come down, live, not on TV and prayed that my mother had gotten out as she worked there. 9/11 was not the fault of any of those people who have had their families, lives, jobs, homes, destroyed by this poorly defined, planned and executed order.
My family suffered the same devastation and no one can know the fear we lived through. It imprinted upon my family terribly. I was a baby and remember stone cold fear being barely 1. This is causing me to cry for your suffering. Hopefully your Mother returned to you. Took a long time for me to not fear airplanes.

And yes I agree with your conclusion as well. Thank You for sharing your opinion.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:00 PM

29,752 posts, read 14,820,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
If you define peaceful protests as 'unhinged' ~ that's on YOU.

Reasonable people can disagree as to whether this makes us safer AT ALL or whether it's just another recruiting tool for ISIS.

Perchance, if Trump has not run around screaming for a 'MUSLIM BAN' prior to the election - we would not be in this position now.

I will admit that Obama certainly didn't go all out for Syrian refugees. He let in , what, 3000 ~ while other countries took much, much more.

You are okay with this ?

Protesters block LAX traffic, face off with police as they rally against Trump's travel ban - LA Times

Protests erupt at airports following Trump travel ban | Fox News

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news...rts/vi-AAmpHPL

A peaceful protest is one thing, blocking traffic and people is not part of it.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:07 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,246,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think it puts us at a much greater risk internationally and sends the wrong message bout us as a country.

I am not a liberal nor on the left, but IMO it was not a smart policy move. Contrary to what you and Trump believe, the world is a much smaller place today. Also, all Muslims are not a terrorist.

The only way I would agree to a "ban" would be if there was a "ban" on every one and every nation from coming into this country, including those in Europe, Canada, Mexico, and S. America and all other nations.

If you are going to do a ban, do a ban IMO.

Totally illogical. Those countries aren't where the primary threat originates.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:10 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FWIW I also agree on the bold. I feel that Congress should make a compromise to provide an amnesty and issue a fee to current illegal immigrants in this country who do not have a criminal background. After paying off that fee or potentially serving in the military, they should be able to become citizens. I would like to see this combined with a program to allow low skilled workers AND constitutional amendment to redefine citizenship and to place that new definition on a future date and not back date it to any previous period. I think this could please both sides and honestly have been frustrated for 10 years now that Congress cannot seem to move on this issue.

I had read previously about some of the 9/11 hijackers being here illegally due to expired visas. I also have personally known people who were here with expired visas as well, primarily from African nations that are not predominantly Muslim. It is a serious problem IMO and one that does warrant more investment into.

Honestly, I was more than willing to give Trump the benefit of my doubt in his abilities but his first week he has just been too chaotic and he has made me very uncomfortable with being our president. I'm an independent and have even considered volunteering for our local DNC to help get some Democrats elected into Congress in 2018. I don't like to be involved in party politics and I do feel he is pushing me toward this route, him and his devout followers who just see nothing wrong or odd about what he is doing and who seems to be happy that he is causing chaos in our country and the world. I especially worry about our overseas millitary personnel and contractors. I have some cousins who are in the Middle East right now as contractors and another on active duty in Afghanistan. I feel the President is not looking out for the country at large and there comes a point in time where he has to stop campaigning and begin working for the entire country. I also don't like that he calls my fellow Americans his enemies. It is very concerning for me. I don't like any extreme political ideology or position, but I have never thought of other Americans to be my enemies based upon their politics.
Good post.

I only ever personally knew one person here on an expired visa, many years ago. She was from The Netherlands, and she was working in the US as a nanny. She ended up falling in love with a guy at the bar where we all hung out, and he decided to move out west and she was going with him even though her visa had expired. I don't know what became of them after that.

I don't like turning fellow Americans into enemies, either, and I didn't like when Clinton did it with her "deplorables" remark.

I did not vote for Trump, but since I didn't vote for Clinton either, I was willing to give him a chance. I am still hoping he concentrates on the economy and on the infrastructure more than anything else. If he can handle those two things, I'd give him a thumbs up.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:41 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,117,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It was. It took 2 years per person to process the visas for those people.
You didn't address the problem, it wasn't the issuing of visas....it was the TRACKING of visas.

The 9/11 terrorists had expired visas.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:42 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,117,011 times
And it doesn't take two years to get a student visa...that's what the terrorists came in on.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,791,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Needs To Change View Post
My family suffered the same devastation and no one can know the fear we lived through. It imprinted upon my family terribly. I was a baby and remember stone cold fear being barely 1. This is causing me to cry for your suffering. Hopefully your Mother returned to you. Took a long time for me to not fear airplanes.

And yes I agree with your conclusion as well. Thank You for sharing your opinion.
Thanks for sharing your post. My mother did in fact get out of the tower, everyone on her floor was fortunate enough to be that lucky.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:45 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,791,461 times
Not directed at me but yes, I am okay with it.

Besides its LA, have you ever seen LA traffic, it was hardly a blip on the unmoving radar.

People's right to protest, is more important than yours not to be inconvenienced. One is in the constitution btw, care to guess which one?

Old 01-31-2017, 01:19 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,363,322 times
I don't particularly care about the refugee ban, I do care that they are banning people who already have green cards and have spent years, if not decades living in the United States. That's incredibly messed up. You complain that people come here illegally, yet when someone is here legally and has a skilled job or studies in college, you want to ban them anyway. Wtf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies