Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 01:45 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,082,182 times

Advertisements

The same Virginia that allowed felons to vote before this last election.........that Virginia. Forget 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 01:54 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Does this include the Mayors and city councils of Sanctuary city's?

I glad you agree and these /\ people should be arrested and charged with obstruction of justice.

RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
So deserving of a re-post.
I'm going to re-post this also. Needs to be repeated for those on this thread saying "you don't get to choose the laws to follow or ignore."

Old 02-02-2017, 01:55 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
The same Virginia that allowed felons to vote before this last election.........that Virginia. Forget 'em.
Personally, I believe that once they pay their full debt, they should be allowed to vote. This means once they are out of jail and off parole and probation.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:55 PM

5,746 posts, read 4,707,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
At approximately 2:30 am Thursday morning the Huffington Post reported that the Commonwealth of Virginia asked a federal judge late Wednesday night to force President Donald Trump, U.S. Customs and Border Protection and top government officials to show why they shouldn’t be held in contempt for failing to obey a lawful court order.

The temporary restraining order issued Saturday night by U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema of the Eastern District of Virginia required Customs and Border Protection to allow attorneys access to legal permanent residents that CBP had detained at Dulles International Airport as a result of Trump’s executive order blocking people from seven Muslim-majority nations from traveling to the U.S. Saturday’s court order also forbade CBP from deporting any of the legal permanent residents ― also known as green-card holders ― detained at Dulles for seven days.

When federal judges rule against the government, any official implicated in the order, including the president, is supposed to obey ― even if they believe the court’s order is incorrect.

However, CBP did not obey the court’s order. Instead, it openly defied it. The border agency never let attorneys near the people it was detaining. Over the past few days, as many as 6 different members of Congress asked the CBP to follow the law which allows LEGAL permanent residents to be represented by an attorney in situations such as the one we've been watching unfold at airports across the country.

In addition to Trump and CBP, the Department of Homeland Security, DHS chief John Kelly, acting CBP Commissioner Kevin K. McAleenan, Dulles CBP head Wayne Biondi and eight unnamed CBP agents are defendants in the lawsuit. Their “conduct and refusal to account for their actions last weekend suggests disobedience” to the court’s order, Virginia charged in its brief.

TEXT OF CONTEMPT ORDER

If Trump ignores this court order as he has others, the US may end up on the brink of a Constitutional Crisis. We are a nation of laws and no one gets to pick and choose which ones to obey and which to ignore - not an illegal alien and not the President of the United States.
Ha! Tell that to every politician in CA and all the sanctuary cities.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:59 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
These people should have access to their lawyers.
Answering the anonymous question in my approvals feed, it's because they have already been given residence status, were allowed in and are just returning.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
HuffPo comprised of mostly angry liberal women, even when Obama was President they were never seem fully content.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:37 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,942,450 times
Default Updateupdateupdate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Not arguably. Its a glorified blog
The news is all over the Internet, including even Conservative sites. You guys are smarter than this. Surely you know the information that's been pouring in from all sides. A sampling:

Virginia Looks to Hold Trump in Contempt of Court for Violating Order Regarding Travel Ban | Law News LAWNEWZ

Virginia Just Filed A Contempt Motion Against Trump Over Immigration Order | Rebrn.com REBORNConservative site

Virginia Just Filed A Contempt Motion Against Trump Over Immigration Order | News 24 hours BREAKINGLATESTNEWS.DDNS.NET

https://news.google.pk/news/more?ncl...er=0&ned=en_pk
GOOGLE NEWS

https://article.wn.com/view/2017/02/...rump_Over_Imm/
WORLDNEWS NETWORK

And many, many, many more. Let your little fingers do the walking with GOOGLE or has too much Fox News impaired your ability to google?

THIS IS ABOUT THE RIGHT OF LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA TO HAVE ACCESS TO LEGAL COUNSEL! READ ONE OF THE GD'ED LINKS!

From the text of the restraining order that I gave the link to in my OP:

Because respondents have failed without explanation to answer these eminently
reasonable questions by members of Congress and the Attorney General of Virginia, it is
appropriate for this Court to require respondents to demonstrate their compliance. Respondents
should be required to file a written accounting of their compliance efforts by February 7.

They should be required to submit sworn statements addressing, at a minimum:

(1) the time on January 28, 2017 that they received actual notice of the TRO in this case and in Darweesh;

(2) the number of air passengers on January 27, 28, and 29 arriving at Dulles International Airport with
lawful permanent residence status who were removed from the United States, both before and 14 DHS Statement, supra note 13 and after receipt of actual notice of the TRO;

(3) whether any such arrivals were denied prompt access to counsel in light of reports that lawyers were refused such access and there appear to be no reported cases of any such arriving passenger being granted such access; and (4) the name and title of all government officials, if any, who instructed CBP personnel not to comply with the TRO.

It should go without saying that compliance with a court order is fundamental to the rule
of law. As the Supreme Court and this Court have made clear

(The above has been re-formatted to help those with reading comprehension difficulties - the wording remains unchanged)

This goes beyond any rights of those seeking to illegally enter the US. This is about the right of legal residents and United States citizens to have prompt access to counsel. Expect to hear more in 5 days, Monday morning Feb 7, 2017.

***please do not delete any of the text from the document released from the United States courts above. Thank-you.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:13 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,942,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Fake news, there is no contempt filed against trump.

From the OP's article

There’s no indication that the court is going to actually hold the president in contempt,” said Ben Feuer, chairman of the California Appellate Law Group and a former clerk on the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. “The people who are really at the center of this, who this is actually directed at, are the agents at Dulles airport involved in this.... Here’s what’s at stake: How’s the court going to force these officers or punish them?
Wrong.

You are intelligent enough to understand what you are reading. The contempt order has indeed been filed. The actual ruling will come on or after the court mandated reply date of February 7, 2017. You gave only half of the correct quote. Here it is in its entirety:

“There’s no indication that the court is going to actually hold the president in contempt,” said Ben Feuer, chairman of the California Appellate Law Group and a former clerk on the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. “The people who are really at the center of this, who this is actually directed at, are the agents at Dulles airport involved in this.... Here’s what’s at stake: How’s the court going to force these officers or punish them?... You could conceive of a situation where the court orders the U.S. marshals to confront these officials and arrest them, the president fires the marshals and hires new officials who will not obey the court order, and then you likely have a constitutional crisis.”

Old 02-02-2017, 04:34 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,823,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
These people should have access to their lawyers.

Again you and I agree. Not only should they have access to their attorneys, but each and every case where a visa or green card is being revoked should have immediate access to due process BEFORE the government acts against ANY individual. Everyone has a natural right (including immigrants AND illegal aliens) to due process BEFORE the government acts. The government CAN detain based on reasonable articulable suspicion and it CAN arrest based on probable cause, but it CANNOT lawfully act (as in removing something previously granted) without the individual having their natural right to due process.

The founding fathers of this nation KNEW this to be true. They didn't even allow the captured British soldiers or spies from their side to be acted against without due process. Why is it considered acceptable now?

No, I am NOT a SJW. I believe in natural rights, the law and due process. I demand my government, which is based on and was formed on those simple concepts, OBEY the limits placed upon them by the very wise men who formed this nation.

Then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.

Last edited by KS_Referee; 02-02-2017 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: added "against ANY individual"

Old 02-02-2017, 04:49 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Does this include the Mayors and city councils of Sanctuary city's?

I glad you agree and these /\ people should be arrested and charged with obstruction of justice.

RR
Most of the posts by the right here are shockingly head in the sand. This one at least asks a valid question, and the answer is...

Sure. Once a court rules, and hands down its orders. The argument is that the law is unconstitutional. I think that argument is nonsense, and once a court rules that it is constitutional, and orders those mayors to comply, then absolutely.

BUT keep in mind, courts have a wide amount of latitude in how they force compliance. From daily fines, to arrest of those involved. So I would expect it to start with steadily increasing fines, followed by arrests if needed.

We need to be a nation of laws, failing to do so is a invitation to anarchy and failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies