Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 05:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's great to expose racists.

Thanks to this article I now know this family from Dallas is horribly racist and therefore sick human beings.

Awesome work Jade!
Yup totally racist for realizing that sometimes they need to exercise caution when experiencing the world. Clearly you didn't read the article, they did not mention white people. They shared some of their experiences in daily life.

Quote:
Being Harvard-educated lawyers in the wealthiest part of Dallas is a hard knock life.

Damn straight. The struggle is real.
More accurately being wealthy doesn't shield you from daily acts of minor racism.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:03 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Another great passage

This is an example of a small thing with big implications. As illustrated, no one batted an eye that this underdressed white guy belonged at the gala. Even though his outfit was wrong.

You can have the right outfit on as a black person and still be mistaken for the help.

I used to work in consulting. I went to some meetings where clients didn't think I was the lead. They may have thought I was the note taker. Or the intern. But surely not the expert. Meanwhile my white male boss was in ratty jeans to many client meetings without worry. The same thing happens at conferences. People assume I am staffing the event, not attending it.

I need to pay far more attention to my clothing choices than my peers.

Trevor Noah, during this interview for the freakanomics podcast explains things really well. And makes the argument that maybe where privilege was the wrong phrase.
Trevor Noah Has a Lot to Say - Freakonomics Freakonomics

You start with the black disadvantage you need to overcome before you get anywhere.
Thanks for exposing more racists jade!

Old 02-05-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Yup totally racist for realizing that sometimes they need to exercise caution when experiencing the world. Clearly you didn't read the article, they did not mention white people. They shared some of their experiences in daily life.

More accurately being wealthy doesn't shield you from daily acts of minor racism.
I used my "implicit bias" to reach the conclusions I did.

Isn't that what I'm suppose to do?

Old 02-05-2017, 05:07 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
It goes both ways. That's why I stay in my world as much as possible.
Does that mean that you do not deny the existence of prejudice/racism in the USA?

Old 02-05-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Does that mean that you do not deny the existence of prejudice/racism in the USA?
Of course there's racism/prejudice. Who would deny such a thing?

Old 02-05-2017, 05:11 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Of course there's racism/prejudice. Who would deny such a thing?
You would be surprised. I've been around people who think along those lines.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You would be surprised. I've been around people who think along those lines.
That's odd.

I don't think I've ever known anyone who didn't think racism/prejudice existed. Doesn't come up though.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:16 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,772,003 times
Quote:
This article perfectly articulates what it is like to be black in America. Doing all the right things is never quite enough.

A black Dallas family 'did everything America said we should' but still endures racism daily | News | Dallas News

I think most of us can think of so many similar examples as the ones articulated in this article. And this same stuff happens in progressive California. Maybe to a lesser degree than in other parts of the US, but I am not immune. There are a lot of stores I boycott because I have been followed around or ignored by sales people.
Excellent article, and informative. I have long felt bad for people like this family. They do play by all the rules and yet there are some who only see skin color. While this family lives the good life, there are multitudes of middle class black families who also play by the rules but still get lumped into the ranks of the urban underclass when people can't see past their skin color.

I will note that I am a white conservative guy that differentiates on actions and lifestyles, not color. I have no use for the dysfunctional black urban underclass, and at the same time I have no use for the white trailer trash that are also dysfunctional and self defeating.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:29 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,664 times
Quote:
Spoken like a person who doesn't endure anti-black racism. "It hasn't happened to me so it must not exist."
My life is fine because I don't get offended over everything. Stereotyping, sure but racism...I don't see it. I don't try hard to fit in. You either like me or you don't. I don't care.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
My life is fine because I don't get offended over everything. Stereotyping, sure but racism...I don't see it. I don't try hard to fit in. You either like me or you don't. I don't care.
If you insist on being an individual you're going to destroy the collectivist utopia the Left is trying to create.

Best to play along. So...are you a victim or oppressor? Pick one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies