Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 09:04 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Alright, please define racism for me. Every definition I've seen says racism is about believing in racial superiority or inferiority. Now apply that here. Are any of those examples racist? The last example might be stereotyping (and jokingly at that), but that isn't racism.

What I get from this is that a black family is looking at the world through the racism lense, "feels" like there might be prejudice involved, completely speculating, and then concludes that their experiences are evidence of a racist society. Then when people challenge them on it, they're labeled racist or unempathetic.
I believe the article was biased from the writers standpoint and stood to try to make whites consider racial biases. That is fine IMO but I also don't think that what they are describing is definitively racist. I'll also point out that the family interviewed also was quoted as thinking about both options "maybe race" and "maybe not."

When confronted with the sorts of situations described in the article, most black people do this - think of both options. It is not usually the first - they were racist option, unless it is rather blatantly racist.

I honestly don't like articles like this. IMO they serve just as all the "sob" media stories serve to make black people look like victims. Previously in media (and still to wide degree) they would focus on the poor, lowly black person who is so sad and can't do anything because of poverty and oppression and blahblahblah. Now today, they want to focus on upper income black families and try to say that they are hurt as well based on bias and perceived racism.

Sorry but I'm just not "into" sob stories. I think black people as a demographic need to wake up to the fact that we are negatively biased. We cannot change people's minds. You do like we usually do anyway and just deal with it and move on. Obviously it has not hurt this couple. It has not hurt me either to any wide degree (though I have been victim of police aggression - I chose to sue them over it and won and also got pretty heavily involved in my neighborhood and got to know the commanding officers of my neighborhood beat - mostly because I lived in a poor majority black neighborhood and I know that poor black people just don't have the time or resources to work with police like I can do in order to build a better relationship with our community).

Can it happen (we or our family member become harmed) of course it can. But I am not afraid of soft bias. IMO it is a sign of the biased person's ignorance. I do my best not to associate with ignorant people or with organizations that support the ignorant ideas of ignorant people. Like the wife featured in the article, if I go someplace where I'm followed or treated poorly and I feel it is race based, I'll just not go there anymore and tell other black people they may want to consider whether or not they go to that businesses/organization.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:11 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I believe the article was biased from the writers standpoint and stood to try to make whites consider racial biases. That is fine IMO but I also don't think that what they are describing is definitively racist. I'll also point out that the family interviewed also was quoted as thinking about both options "maybe race" and "maybe not."

When confronted with the sorts of situations described in the article, most black people do this - think of both options. It is not usually the first - they were racist option, unless it is rather blatantly racist.

I honestly don't like articles like this. IMO they serve just as all the "sob" media stories serve to make black people look like victims. Previously in media (and still to wide degree) they would focus on the poor, lowly black person who is so sad and can't do anything because of poverty and oppression and blahblahblah. Now today, they want to focus on upper income black families and try to say that they are hurt as well based on bias and perceived racism.

Sorry but I'm just not "into" sob stories. I think black people as a demographic need to wake up to the fact that we are negatively biased. We cannot change people's minds. You do like we usually do anyway and just deal with it and move on. Obviously it has not hurt this couple. It has not hurt me either to any wide degree (though I have been victim of police aggression - I chose to sue them over it and won and also got pretty heavily involved in my neighborhood and got to know the commanding officers of my neighborhood beat - mostly because I lived in a poor majority black neighborhood and I know that poor black people just don't have the time or resources to work with police like I can do in order to build a better relationship with our community).

Can it happen (we or our family member become harmed) of course it can. But I am not afraid of soft bias. IMO it is a sign of the biased person's ignorance. I do my best not to associate with ignorant people or with organizations that support the ignorant ideas of ignorant people. Like the wife featured in the article, if I go someplace where I'm followed or treated poorly and I feel it is race based, I'll just not go there anymore and tell other black people they may want to consider whether or not they go to that businesses/organization.
That sounds reasonable to me. I honestly think the one thing that would significantly help is getting black families to stay together like they used to. A lot of problems would get cleaned up, less "bad apples" coming from bad situations, and the negatives associated with black culture would begin to fade away. It might take time, but I think that's the best way.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:14 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
I just general feel like I hate everyone and everyone hates me.

Let's all get behind this idea for each one of us.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:22 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Then what are you complaining about. By your own admission the United States is the only place that allows a person on earth to have a spouse, serve in a military, serve as an officer of a court, drive a car, eat food, and have a f---ing house to sleep in. Because no one in Canada or Israel has experienced these things, running naked, hungry, and homeless as they are. And you want to complain about a minor inconvenience your husband occasionally went through?
Why is ok to go through any "minor inconvenience" solely because of the color of your skin?

If these "minor inconveniences" happened equally to all races/ethnicities/nationalities then I could accept that racism isn't an issue.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:22 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
blacks have been harmed by the war on drugs the most because blacks have been targeted the most. People of all races use drugs. If there was really a war on drugs the police could just go from dorm room to dorm room locking up white college students. If there was really a war on drugs the Reagan administration would not have sold the drugs in these neighborhoods. And when you factor in the different sentences used for something like cocaine powder vs crack, then you start to see the racism in the fake war. And please tell us how you would quantify which race is more or less active in the war on drugs.
crack has been determined to be more harmful to the user as well as to others, hence the elevated sentence for crack. the 'racism' you see is the result of you wanting to see equal outcomes in unequal situations.

Quote:
Alright, please define racism for me. Every definition I've seen says racism is about believing in racial superiority or inferiority. Now apply that here. Are any of those examples racist? The last example might be stereotyping (and jokingly at that), but that isn't racism.

What I get from this is that a black family is looking at the world through the racism lense, "feels" like there might be prejudice involved, completely speculating, and then concludes that their experiences are evidence of a racist society. Then when people challenge them on it, they're labeled racist or unempathetic.
in a nutshell. nice summary.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:25 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
As a White person I have tried to never tell someone else what their experience has been. Some people all of races have a victim complex but when you hear consistently about a problem it's hard to assume it doesn't exist.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:27 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
That sounds reasonable to me. I honestly think the one thing that would significantly help is getting black families to stay together like they used to. A lot of problems would get cleaned up, less "bad apples" coming from bad situations, and the negatives associated with black culture would begin to fade away. It might take time, but I think that's the best way.
Black people have always stayed together and there are not any negative associated with "black culture" that aren't a part of the dominant American culture either.

Not a jab at you, but I like to be consistent in the fact that I did point out that IMO black people need to be culturally aware from an historic standpoint and not let any outside overt or soft biases influence our lives. This includes the fact that the family has always been a primary factor in black culture and black culture itself is "black excellence" and has always primarily focused on being positive and forward facing. Too many black people IMO also are culturally ignorant when it comes to black American culture and that for me is the only "issue" we really need to work on. The idea that we have a lot of "negatives" is false and is not something we should even consider.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I am white and the same sorts of things also happen to me on a regular basis. Only difference is I would never assume every sleight is because of racism. Some people are just selfish and rude. Get over it.
It's pretty selfish to assume your experiences set the standard for everyone else's experiences, isn't it?

Old 02-06-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am not sure why Black people deserve the same respect when they overwhelmingly support AA which basically says "Black people are inferior and they need government's help otherwise they wouldn't qualify for schools or jobs."
Thank you for this awesome display of racism! See y'all? It's still alive and well!

Old 02-06-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iposted View Post
Bad stuff happens to good people. All the time. 1 example from a week ago and how many black people live in America, like 40 Million? A white girl recently died of starvation in a suburb of Des Moines, Iowa.
So using your logic, we really need to start dropping food baskets on rich whites in suburbia because they are dying of starvation and don't have access to food.
You should learn a little more about "logic"

Then come back and apply what you've learned.

Just a friendly suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies