Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 10:08 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're white. If you aren't a person of color in this country, you have no idea what day-to-day life is like for them.
I'm a white, 57 year old male.
I agree with you 100% - I don't fully 'get it' because I am white, therefore I'm not judged by my color by other whites - call it what you will, some call it 'white privilege'. I don't walk in the same shoes as anybody else - regardless of color.

When I hear that someone's been called a racist, it upsets me that they've done or said something that gets them that label. When I hear the reasons they were called that and can agree that they are as they were called, it upsets me more. When I hear the reasons they were called that and cannot come to the same conclusion, it upsets me again, because the claims were not proven. That's when I say that if you throw the race card and it's not proven, it's because it's the only card you have - and I'll go against you full force. And, if you are able to prove as you claim, I'll back you that same 100% with full intensity.

I am ashamed that in the year 2017 racism still exists to the level it does. Mind you, it's a lot better now than it was years ago - but it does still exist. And it will continue to exist as long as mankind base their hate for those that are different. If you're caught in a rain storm and get soaked, just because someone hands you a rain coat doesn't make you any less uncomfortable. You're still soaked, just not as much as you once were. That doesn't dry you out or make things perfect, it just took away some, but certainly not all, of the discomfort.

My grandfather made Archie Bunker look like a Mormon Priest (no offense to the Mormon's).
He was living with us when I was young and he had a lot to say about those of color - or those that weren't just like him, that could have turned me into a racist child... You are a product of your environment. But fortunately, my parents saw to make sure his influences on me was stopped, and I grew up loving people for who they were, not for what color their skin was.

I hate to hear where anybody - regardless of their national origin, race, sex or sexual orientation feels threatened by others. I have no tolerance for hatred.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:12 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
this sums up any argument that racism deniers have. This video is why i don't even take some white people "get over it" stance serious. Ask an audience full of whites if they wanted to be treated like blacks, silence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yrg7vV4a5o
I had an enlightening conversation with a very successful Asian man about this topic. He asked me (a white woman) if I would I have chosen to be born a different race? Any other race. I was surprised to think about it from that perspective. I answered "no, I would not." He asked if I would have chosen to be born male. I answered no to that as well. Now, certainly I might have answered the way I did because I am a white woman, so I'm comfortable with that. But even with all the success he's had as Asian man, he said he would have chosen to be white man. That, all other things being equal, white people have less barriers in front of them, because, while we're a melting pot, "white" is still the standard in America.

I know half of y'all won't even bother to try to see things from someone's point of view, but you don't know how much you're missing out on.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:17 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Please note, it's the black people who overwhelmingly support racism.

Jessie and Al make millions - none of which, in Al's example, are paying his taxes, but if I mention that as a white guy, I'm racist in discussing my opinions of a race bating gang that they are...

Old 02-06-2017, 10:17 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
white women have beneffited the most from Affirmative Action. you're flashcard talking points need to be updated.
Did you just call black people stupid or did you lie?

If white women benefited most from AA, why would black people overwhelmingly support it?

Old 02-06-2017, 10:18 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Your quote doesn't make sense in relation to crack. FWIW whites used crack more than blacks did.

Also, according to your own link alcohol and heroin outrank crack for "harm" and should have much harsher sentences than crack (which is not as commonly used today as heroin or alcohol). Due to that, way more white people should be locked up. They are alcoholics and heroin addicts at a much higher rate than black Americans. Honestly, one of the only subjects that really do portray to me the racism of our society is within the criminal justice system and the relation to disparate sentencing for black vs. white offenders.

FWIW, I found it interesting in an article I read recently about how black judges rule with less bias than white judges. Black female judges are the least biased when it comes to sentencing. I do feel that due to not holding as many negative stereotypes, biases and assumptions based on race that blacks are more likely to be less biased against the public in relation to sentencing. And I also believe this is an issue that black people need to be more active in highlighting. I also believe that blacks should do whatever we can to not get caught up in the criminal justice system, but when we do, I expect the legal system to treat everyone in a similar manner that is without bias and that white judges like white people at large are the ones who need to "fix" themselves of these biases. We can harrass you about it, but it comes down to you accepting these inherent biases and fixing yourself to get us to...basically shut up about it lol. Activism is also a part of "black culture" and it is something we do well - make a big stink out of something and it has worked well for us throughout this country's history.

Florida's Broken Sentencing System

An example of sentencing discrepancies based on race with the same judge.

Also from the media review of these cases:
You are right. Everything should go under the liberal media review.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:21 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
I have to get a kleenix after reading this thread.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The point is that most people can't tell the difference between the good Black people and the hood rats. So when they see a strange black person and know statistically the person is much more likely to commit a crime, they generally stay away from him or her.
Oh...my...

You just accused MOST people of being racist. Do you realize that? MOST people??

And if your theory was correct (obviously it's not) why would you expect any black people to not support affirmative action?? They'd know "most people" would "generally stay away" from them since "most people" are so racist they assume all blacks are criminals. In that scenario AA would be an absolute necessity for black people to advance in society. Why wouldn't they use the few tools available to them?

Plus, you're "understanding" of statistics is very, very flawed.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
You are right. Everything should go under the liberal media review.
I didin't mention any "liberal media review" for everything.

You spoke about crack and it being more "harmful." If that is the case why isn't alcoholism and heroin sentencing worse than crack sentencing???

Also, are you of the belief that people do not hold biases of others based on ethnicity, religion or race?

I do feel that there is bias amongst all societies, including ours.

The only "institutions" that I really care about this being a detriment to black people is in the criminal justice system - which you referenced and I took to provide an example of how racial bias is a factor in sentencing, and the educational system, which BTW, I feel the bias is a result of the paternalistic, savior complex of "liberals" primarily. Both of these "institutions" serve to cause a huge impact in the lives of the population who experiences them.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:26 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Oh...my...

You just accused MOST people of being racist. Do you realize that? MOST people??

And if your theory was correct (obviously it's not) why would you expect any black people to not support affirmative action?? They'd know "most people" would "generally stay away" from them since "most people" are so racist they assume all blacks are criminals. In that scenario AA would be an absolute necessity for black people to advance in society. Why wouldn't they use the few tools available to them?

Plus, you're "understanding" of statistics is very, very flawed.

That is the same criteria that Jesse Jackson uses when he approach strange blacks on the street.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iposted View Post
Here's something that will blow your mind. They do happen equally to all races. Only blacks always think it's racism and cry about it.
I do not think you are correct about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies