Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 03:42 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Like the Jews, the Asians and East Indians struggle?
You think they don't? Being financially well off must mean you have no problems with American culture and the way it treats your people?

Quote:
I personally know a Korean. I agree with his observation that whites making a priority out of football and not academics will probably lead to different outcomes. Yet many whites do leave a lot of resources to academic achievement, albeit less so than Asians . In black schools anyone interested in academics get the crap kicked out of them.
Does this include the 100 black colleges and universities? Is this even a fact or a dramatized stereotype you pulled from some 1990s TV movie?

Old 02-06-2017, 03:45 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
bold=myth

My foot.

"Chinese Girl in the Ghetto": An Interview with Author Ying Ma » Politichicks.com
Ying Ma: Culture matters. Family matters. When I was growing up in the ghetto, I had my books, and I had my family. My family and my culture taught me that education was important. That framework mattered a lot, and I took it seriously. Obviously, it was tough for my family to be new immigrants in the United States. My parents worked long hours and sometimes worked multiple jobs. Nevertheless, they put food on the table, gave me a roof to sleep under, and provided a stable two-parent family. That gave me a solid foundation from which to strive to do better.

Ying Ma: In the ghetto, everything was backed by violence. What you experienced sounds like the people were very territorial and some of them probably did not like White people. By contrast, racism in the ghetto is driven by its screwed up pathologies. Number one, even though everybody knows it is wrong for a White person to discriminate against a Black person, in the ghetto it often didn’t matter what Black people did. If a Black person were to racially discriminate against someone, rarely would anyone condemn the behavior. Number two, the racism in the ghetto was often backed by the threat of violence. For instance, it was quite common for black teenagers to creep up behind elderly Asian immigrants and scream at the top of their lungs to scare the crap out of them. Then they would run away laughing and screaming out an imitation of the Chinese language.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:49 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
My foot.

"Chinese Girl in the Ghetto": An Interview with Author Ying Ma » Politichicks.com
Ying Ma: Culture matters. Family matters. When I was growing up in the ghetto, I had my books, and I had my family. My family and my culture taught me that education was important. That framework mattered a lot, and I took it seriously. Obviously, it was tough for my family to be new immigrants in the United States. My parents worked long hours and sometimes worked multiple jobs. Nevertheless, they put food on the table, gave me a roof to sleep under, and provided a stable two-parent family. That gave me a solid foundation from which to strive to do better.

Ying Ma: In the ghetto, everything was backed by violence. What you experienced sounds like the people were very territorial and some of them probably did not like White people. By contrast, racism in the ghetto is driven by its screwed up pathologies. Number one, even though everybody knows it is wrong for a White person to discriminate against a Black person, in the ghetto it often didn’t matter what Black people did. If a Black person were to racially discriminate against someone, rarely would anyone condemn the behavior. Number two, the racism in the ghetto was often backed by the threat of violence. For instance, it was quite common for black teenagers to creep up behind elderly Asian immigrants and scream at the top of their lungs to scare the crap out of them. Then they would run away laughing and screaming out an imitation of the Chinese language.
You forgot to quote the part where she was beat up for trying to learn.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:54 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,890 times
Quote:
Like the Jews, the Asians and East Indians struggle?

I personally know a Korean. I agree with his observation that whites making a priority out of football and not academics will probably lead to different outcomes. Yet many whites do leave a lot of resources to academic achievement, albeit less so than Asians . In black schools anyone interested in academics get the crap kicked out of them.

So no, there is no external force at work.
Only a prejudiced, misinformed idiot would make a statement like this. I'm sure this person voted for Trump.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:56 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,890 times
Quote:
My foot.

White people only use Asians as an example when they want to continue to justify their belief in the inferiority of black people.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
You think they don't? Being financially well off must mean you have no problems with American culture and the way it treats your people?

Does this include the 100 black colleges and universities? Is this even a fact or a dramatized stereotype you pulled from some 1990s TV movie?

If the stereo type holds true, then those university are full of black women and not men. Furthermore if the stereotype holds true, its not in STEM.

Black Women Students Far Outnumber Black Men at the Nation's Highest-Ranked Universities

Study: Women don

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=16
In each year from 1990 to 2014, the status dropout rate was lower for White youth than for Black youth, and the rates for both White and Black youth were lower than the rate for Hispanic youth. During this period, the status dropout rate declined from 9.0 to 5.2 percent for White youth; from 13.2 to 7.4 percent for Black youth; and from 32.4 to 10.6 percent for Hispanic youth. As a result, the gap between White and Hispanic youth narrowed from 23.4 percentage points in 1990 to 5.3 percentage points in 2014. Most of this gap was narrowed between 2000 and 2014, when the gap between White and Hispanic youth declined from 20.9 to 5.3 percentage points. Although the rates for both White and Black youth declined from 1990 to 2014, the gap between the rates in 2014 did not measurably differ from the gap between the rates in 1990. However, the White-Black gap narrowed from 6.2 percentage points in 2000 to 2.2 percentage points in 2014.

Again we can only surmise that black women are the ones making progress closing this gap.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:59 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post

For the most part American culture treats people exceptionally well. Better than any country in world history. Its time to put away the identity politics which only work to divide us.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
White people only use Asians as an example when they want to continue to justify their belief in the inferiority of black people.

Yet they do this by placing themselves below Jews , Asians and even other immigrants like East Indians. That certainly implies more objectivity than the idea that other minorities are just oppressed and that otherwise they would be the top of their class.

Seems to me Asians are just a bone in your throat.

Also its interesting that I tend to follow the academic form of citing my sources while you deny it with an old cliche`.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Only a prejudiced, misinformed idiot would make a statement like this. I'm sure this person voted for Trump.

Only racist scum blame their failures on white people. Funny how people can just toss that around and not expect anyone to actually know who is kicking the crap out of teachers around the country.( hint: its not Asians) . Blacks violently assault teachers routinely.

I notice you did not care to stand up for whites when I said:
I personally know a Korean. I agree with his observation that whites making a priority out of football and not academics will probably lead to different outcomes.

Its just the truth. Whites spend a good deal of their energies on things with a poor return, just not at the level of other minorities who look to sports or music as a way out. There is a reason why native whites in the rural areas drive trucks or join the military. its not because they are too well read or reading math books all day.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:49 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMF View Post
My grandfather made Archie Bunker look like a Mormon Priest (no offense to the Mormon's).
One wonders who it was, then, that you were trying to offend.

Quote:
I hate to hear where anybody - regardless of their national origin, race, sex or sexual orientation feels threatened by others. I have no tolerance for hatred.
Neither do I. Zero. And I'm married to a Mormon High Priest who doesn't either. I would also add religion to your list.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-06-2017 at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies