Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 07:21 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This article perfectly articulates what it is like to be black in America. Doing all the right things is never quite enough.

A black Dallas family 'did everything America said we should' but still endures racism daily | News | Dallas News

I think most of us can think of so many similar examples as the ones articulated in this article. And this same stuff happens in progressive California. Maybe to a lesser degree than in other parts of the US, but I am not immune. There are a lot of stores I boycott because I have been followed around or ignored by sales people.
Maybe what they view as racism is their view of a different culture, where I work, the management is mostly black, now lets talk about racism.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
You clearly don't get it either.
White people have had their fill of blacks crying racism at every turn, maybe work hard and move on.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
wow...

If there's something I've learned from conservatives, and especially Trump supporters, it's that they're unflinchingly unwilling to try to see another perspective or walk in someone else's shoes.
Bullzhit, you can't label every Trump supporter the same. Most Trump supporters I know are good people and willing to accept people as they are, as long as they behave like human beings.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:30 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Bullzhit, you can't label every Trump supporter the same. Most Trump supporters I know are good people and willing to accept people as they are, as long as they behave like human beings.
On the bold, all people behave like human beings...

I agree with the previous poster in regards to many Trump voters, not all though in that they are very...I can only say self centered and do not seek to understand anything from another's perspective.

However, I will note, I feel the same way about super, uber liberals. Too many people are self-centered IMO. That is also a part of behaving like a human being

Old 02-07-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
How about empathy?
Most people don't have time to give a rats ass about your problems, they are busy living life and raising children, sorry, but no time left for you.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:34 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Most people don't have time to give a rats ass about your problems, they are busy living life and raising children, sorry, but no time left for you.
Monday through Saturday:

'MURICA.

**** yeah!!

Sunday: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.'

'Bout sums up 'Muricans today.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:35 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm Asian and we get the crap, too.
Not usually overt, but little, little things, over and over...
Steve Harvey just said on TV nobody likes Asian and nobody needs to date Asian. Steve Harvey didn't even have to apologize if "I am sorry you feel that" is any kind of apology.

If it were a white guy or Asian guy saying nobody likes Blacks ..., he would be fired and get death threats.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iposted View Post
And what kind of attorney did they hire? Where were they caught selling drugs? Selling drugs at a house in the suburbs WILL NOT get you the same time as selling drugs on a dope block known for murders in a gang injunction zone. Where any of them in gangs? I the state of TN getting caught selling dope AND being a gang member adds another 15 possible years to your sentence. Did they apply for a PSI report and what did the report state there family background was?

I'm blown away that black men only do 10% more time for the same crime as white men, it should be much more, because...
1. Black men are much more likely to be caught committing crime in high crime areas.
2. Black men are much more likely to be members of violent gangs that kill over territory.
3. Black men are much more likely to use a public defender.

That's just the start now to the PSI Report, AKA optional Pre Sentencing Investigation. Your PSI report often determines how much time you will do because it can accurately predict your chances of recidivism. Things a PSI report looks into.

1. Do you have relatives that are gang members/incarcerated
2. Are you from/ going to be paroled to a high crime neighborhood.
3. Were you suspended, expelled a lot from school.

People just see a statistic that black men do more time than whites for similar crimes and immediately think it's racism because they probably do not understand how the judicial system and sentencing works. If black men are being sentenced to the same time as whites for the same crime by black judges, it's obvious knowing all this the judges are being biased. No gang member from a gang controlled area, and family of gang members should to the same time for a crime as a guy from the burbs and a good family because his chance of recidivism/ being a career criminal/ murdering somebody is 100 times lower.
Again, you did not read the link I posted. And both were caught selling drugs. It was their first offense. The fact that someone sold drugs in the suburbs should not matter with their sentencing. They received the same points and had the same amount of drugs in the same county.

FYI - you are greatly showing your own racial bias. You believe that a white kid from the suburbs shouldn't be punished as hard as a black kid from a gang invested neighborhood.....

FWIW I think a lot of people believe the same thing that you do and this is the reason why black people need to continue to be active on this issue.

The red is the major factor when it comes to crime statistics. IMO and in the opinion of many other people - if whites were as heavily policed in the suburbs as black neighborhoods are, then they would be "CAUGHT" doing just as many crimes as blacks in most instances and especially related to domestic violence and drug abuse/selling.

What you are describing is the fact that racial and class bias exist in our legal system. It should not be a part of our criminal justice system. Everyone should get the same time for the same crime.

Do you think that someone white from the burbs deserves to have a more lenient penalty than a black person from the hood? If so, why?

You also mentioned recidivism rates. Studies show that people sent to prison have very high recidivism rates. So if less black men were sent to prison, then recidivismm would be lower amongst them. That does not occur though in Florida, which the link was specific to. Blacks are sent to prison. It is harder to get a job if you've been to prison. In prison you have to become more of an animal. You lose time that could be spent making amends for crimes or getting an education.

So all the things you are speaking about above are related to racism in our criminal justice system. You are just not willing to look at it from that angle and are instead making excuses for richer white kids thinking they need a slap on the wrist. You believing they are "less dangerous" than a black kid when they have the same record is based in a biased, racist belief system.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:46 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Yeah I bet they aren't telling the truth either

Old 02-07-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
They know that it exists....they don't care....and neither should we.

"WE" need to stop giving an "F" about what "THEY" think about us.

"WE" need to focus on supporting our own and stop worrying about "THEM" allowing us into "THEIR" spaces.

"WE" need to stop worrying about whether "THEY" like "US", want "US", accept "US".

The MAIN reason that the Civil Rights Movement was not fully successful was because "WE" were too busy thinking that "THEY" are better. "THEIR" places, spaces and things are better. "WE" traded what we built for "THEIR" mediocrity and it has been our greatest downfall.
ITA on the blue and that is what I think all black people should be aware of.

Most Americans do not and have never cared about us and our issues from a legal perspective when it comes to racism or the fact that we have endured racism.

We should stop focusing on them accepting us as "equals" and instead focus on ourselves individually and on those legal issues that affect us we need to be heavily active in decreasing those negative ills.

I'll also note that black people highlighting racism and seeking a decrease and removal of it from our criminal justice system, is not us asking "white people" for help. It is about demanding our government to not discriminate against us. And I think in today's climate that too many white people still think it is about them when it is not. It is about the fact that we blacks are Americans and our governing documents protect our rights and we want them protected and upheld based on legal facts and not for us not to be treated worse by our legal systems due to race or class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies