Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 08:49 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Alright, please define racism for me. Every definition I've seen says racism is about believing in racial superiority or inferiority. Now apply that here. Are any of those examples racist? The last example might be stereotyping (and jokingly at that), but that isn't racism.

What I get from this is that a black family is looking at the world through the racism lense, "feels" like there might be prejudice involved, completely speculating, and then concludes that their experiences are evidence of a racist society. Then when people challenge them on it, they're labeled racist or unempathetic.
You racist.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:51 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Once again, the war on drugs is the prime reason for that.

Prohibition promotes violence. That violence will always be greater among groups traditionally discriminated against by the regular labor market.
Why don't any other groups of people have this problem?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 02-06-2017 at 09:02 AM..

Old 02-06-2017, 08:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
On the OP article and to all posters, it has been an historical fact since the 1700s in all parts of this country that black people are "dangerous" or "suspicious" and "lazy" and all other sorts of negatives.

IMO it is the fault of the upper income blacks for thinking that "doing everything right" would make any difference in the way that they are viewed as black Americans. They should do these things IMO for personal gain and as a result for the gain of the demographic, but the views of whites or other biased individuals should not be as much of a focus or concern like it seems to be for many middle to upper income blacks.

IMO it is silly to be concerned too much with stereotypes. We need to focus on making sure we are wealthy in regards to our cultural and historical knowledge as a people, do like these couples and become highly educated, increase our economic standing and if race issues based on negative biases come about (which they will) then mobilize to get recompense for those crimes. We cannot stop people from looking at us negatively. That is the "problem" of those other groups and not ours and we should not accept their issues, prejudice, and racism as our own or something we can "fix" for them. That is idiotic IMO.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:54 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,227,035 times
Many white people panic if they get bullied on social media by people of their own white ethnicity, which they can't handle... !!!! and they have the audacity to try and tell black people how to handle bullying via racism that comes from some of white ethnicity.

Geez.....

Old 02-06-2017, 08:57 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why don't any other groups of people don't have this problem?
which groups? Are you going to bring up all the groups that were allowed into whiteness at some point?

Old 02-06-2017, 08:58 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Many white people panic if they get bullied on social media by people of their own white ethnicity, which they can't handle... !!!! and they have the audacity to try and tell black people how to handle bullying via racism that comes from some of white ethnicity.

Geez.....
exactly. constantly trying to equate name calling to systematic racism.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:59 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
yes you can tell the difference between poisonous snake and a non poisoinous snake...lmaooooooooooooooooooooo

And if you can't tell the difference between "good Black people and the hood rats" that's on you. It's not our responsibility to let YOU know if we're good or bad. And in the OP's examples, what do crime rates have to do with checking into a hotel? You see how stupid it is to fall back on that flawed stance. Your trying to apply it to basic day to day things, then you wonder why you get called out on that flawed logic. Somebody rolls over your foot at the airport..."well crime rates". This is how you sound.
First I want to say that I wish things worked that way, honestly.

The thing is, people don't know you. I'm probably one of the nicest guys you'll meet, but I used to do a lot of skateboarding back in early high school and had the shaggy hair, etc...I had old ladies with their grandchildren move to the other side of the street or give me a suspicious look when they walked by, or I was blatantly watched very closely when I went to get a Gatorade at a gas station.

I'm a regular white guy and I experienced that. The thing is, I understood that even though most skater kids were decent people, there was a percentage of them that you had to watch out for. It would have been stupid of those people to give me the benefit of the doubt and risk me turning out to be one of the bad ones.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:02 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
wow...

If there's something I've learned from conservatives, and especially Trump supporters, it's that they're unflinchingly unwilling to try to see another perspective or walk in someone else's shoes.
Excuse us while we work hard and struggle to raise our families.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
which groups? Are you going to bring up all the groups that were allowed into whiteness at some point?
Any other groups but Blacks. No other group of people kill each other at the rate Blacks are doing.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
exactly. constantly trying to equate name calling to systematic racism.
That systematic racism is called Affirmative Action, which black people overwhelmingly support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies