Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 04:43 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,211,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
blah blah

No freaking kidding!
They see racism everywhere because they want to.

/end
I love the United States and know that I have been given opportunities here that I would not have gotten anywhere else on Earth, but.... When we lived in California my husband and son's got pulled over all the time. Two of the times my husband, a military JAG officer, was pulled over because "he was driving suspiciously" he was handcuffed while they called in his license. Handcuffed. A middle aged, well dressed, cooperative, non-violent, polite man who had broken no laws. Not even a mike over the speed limit. I can't begin to tell you how many times he's been pulled over and grilled about the vehicle he was driving. It exists, you just don't think it does because you haven't been subjected to it.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:46 PM

27,714 posts, read 16,213,676 times
It goes both ways. That's why I stay in my world as much as possible.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:47 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,119,178 times
So what do liberals want? Some kind of laws passed or something?

Old 02-05-2017, 04:48 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,637,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
So what do liberals want? Some kind of laws passed or something?
How about empathy?

Old 02-05-2017, 04:51 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,041,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're white. If you aren't a person of color in this country, you have no idea what day-to-day life is like for them.
And I don't care, anymore than you care what it's like to be female of Russian/German and Swiss ancestry.

And you won't hear me whining and bellyaching about it.

If you have it so bad here, feel free to go elsewhere. I won't mind.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
And I don't care, anymore than you care what it's like to be female of Russian/German and Swiss ancestry.

And you won't hear me whining and bellyaching about it.

If you have it so bad here, feel free to go elsewhere. I won't mind.
I do care what it's like for others. I'm just not sure why you don't. I have it pretty good here, actually, since I'm white.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:53 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,415,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
How about empathy?
Emotion over logic.

Straight out of the Leftist playbook.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:55 PM

Explain the logic of tolerating racism.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,948,345 times
Another great passage

Quote:
Two decades ago, he and Frances attended a fundraising gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. They were thrilled to get tickets through work: Whitney Houston was scheduled to perform. First lady Hillary Clinton was in attendance.

An underdressed white man who looked to be in his 50s sat down at their table. He asked what event he was attending. He did not have a ticket, he explained, but lived in the neighborhood and often popped in when something interesting appeared to be going on.

“And that,” Frances explains, sitting on the couch next to her husband, ” is white privilege.”
This is an example of a small thing with big implications. As illustrated, no one batted an eye that this underdressed white guy belonged at the gala. Even though his outfit was wrong.

You can have the right outfit on as a black person and still be mistaken for the help.

I used to work in consulting. I went to some meetings where clients didn't think I was the lead. They may have thought I was the note taker. Or the intern. But surely not the expert. Meanwhile my white male boss was in ratty jeans to many client meetings without worry. The same thing happens at conferences. People assume I am staffing the event, not attending it.

I need to pay far more attention to my clothing choices than my peers.

Trevor Noah, during this interview for the freakanomics podcast explains things really well. And makes the argument that maybe where privilege was the wrong phrase.
Trevor Noah Has a Lot to Say - Freakonomics Freakonomics

You start with the black disadvantage you need to overcome before you get anywhere.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:00 PM

25,866 posts, read 16,579,920 times
It's a big world. If this country makes them this paranoid maybe they should try somewhere else. Or therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies