Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 03:55 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Yeah, sure, replacing environmental protections with a tax... very logical, eh? Really looks like they simply want to cut the regulations, and raise a tax, so the consumer loses all around. So very republican of them.

"The Republican and business leaders lent their stature to an approach for addressing climate change that mirrors an idea already advanced by Exxon Mobil Corp. Supporters say the tax is a conservative solution to climate change that replaces a regulatory regime with a free-market approach for addressing the greenhouse gas emissions."

And, there is this: will there be a lot of screaming about how the government is stealing their money to give to the poor on this one?

"To avoid an undue burden on the poor from the higher energy bills that would result, the projected $200 billion to $300 billion in annual revenue would be redistributed to households in the form of quarterly checks from the Social Security Administration. Families of four would see an average annual payout of $2,000 under the plan, they say."

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...ut-regulations
Putting a price on pollution is another way of regulating. I think it's a good idea frankly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 03:56 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
How are we going to fund road repair? The more you drive, the more you damage the road. The more you drive, the more you pay in carbon tax. It's the most fair way to collect tax without discriminating on any single class.
First thing you do is stop raiding the Highway Trust fund and state fuel taxes to fund mass transit.

Switch to a per mile tax based on the weight of the vehicle, this will adequately distribute the taxes becuse the more miles you drive and the more your vehicle weighs the more damage it does. Whether it's a 4K pound gasoline car or electric car you pay the same. More importantly you do the same for trucks which are currently subsidized by motorists. Those increased taxes will be passed onto all consumers thus the motorist will pay less in the long run.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:17 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
That's has no bearing on civilizations. Simple as that.

It's wrong to take someone's bicycle without consent, but taxes are not theft. End of story.
Your first sentence doesn't make any sense. Your second needs to be explained, because both are the same thing - violations of property rights....theft.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Your first sentence doesn't make any sense. Your second needs to be explained, because both are the same thing - violations of property rights....theft.
Nope. Where you live, you have to abide by those rules. Don't want to pay taxes then either move or hire a great tax attorney/or learn how to game the system.

If you believe it's a violation of property rights then take it to court and see what happens..... just because you think something, it doesn't make it true. I know I can't convince you taxes aren't theft, but we both know you'll never win your case in a court of law or any place that actually matters. You'll more than likely just complain over internet message boards and push your theory that will never be accepted.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:27 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So everyone who wants to see the price of gas go up $0.33, please raise your hand.
Only lunatic liberals want to pay more at the pump.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:27 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Nope. My links gave more up to date information.
No you didn't. I posted the 2014 poverty rates.

2014 Poverty Rates:

City: 18.9%
Rural: 16.5%

http://www.irp.wisc.edu/faqs/faq3/2015-FAQ3-Fig7.png

Plus, cities have MUCH more population density on top of that, exacerbating their poverty problem.

Quote:
Rural areas are now more poor than their urban counterparts.
No, they're not.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 02-11-2017 at 04:39 PM..

Old 02-11-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
LOL. How convenient. So this is a competition to you....
It's not a competition. It's a matter of understanding factual data. How can we address the problems if we don't acknowledge what they are?

This actually requires critical thinking skills.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Poor policies of race to the bottom. Doesn't mean much if you are a democrat in a Republican state as the state controls the purse strings from education to healthcare.
That may be what you believe, but why are Republican voters more likely to thrive, while Dem voters have to go on public assistance at a rate of over 2 to 1 compared to Republican voters?

These are questions that have to be asked, and contemplated. This actually requires using critical thinking skills.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No you didn't. I posted the 2014 poverty rates.

2014 Poverty Rates:

City: 18.9%
Rural: 16.5%

http://www.irp.wisc.edu/faqs/faq3/2015-FAQ3-Fig7.png

Plus, cities have MUCH more population density on top of that, exacerbating their poverty problem.

No, they're not.
Yes I did, you completely ignored it.

Yes they are... here's something more specific that I already posted which you ignored....

Yep. Urban areas beat out rural areas for poverty across the entire country in every region.

Urban areas are where the economic growth and the vast majority of the US economy. LA metro has a trillion dollar a year economy and has added +150k jobs in 2016, what's happening in small town America?

Quote:
It's not a competition. It's a matter of understanding factual data. How can we address the problems if we don't acknowledge what they are?

This actually requires critical thinking skills.
I was never making a democrat vs republican debate.... you made it one for some reason.....

It requires reading comprehension, of which you failed.

Quote:
That may be what you believe, but why are Republican voters more likely to thrive, while Dem voters have to go on public assistance at a rate of over 2 to 1 compared to Republican voters?

These are questions that have to be asked, and contemplated. This actually requires using critical thinking skills.
They aren't thriving in rural areas.... which was my entire point....

Perhaps you are a rural resident and this hits home so you are projecting.... I have no clue.... You keep moving the goal posts away from my original comment....

Old 02-11-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Yes I did, you completely ignored it.
You're posting noise. What does "regions" have to do with it when we know 2 very basic facts:

1) Cities have a higher poverty rate than rural areas. And on top of that cities have a MUCH higher population density.

2) Democrat voters need public assistance help at a rate that's 2 or more times higher than that of Republican voters.

Look, if you can't acknowledge what the problem is, nothing is ever going to get any better. You can't fix a problem you won't even admit exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies