Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 09:06 AM

36,718 posts, read 67,826,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
You dont even understand the stats you are quoting, csa numbers are not metro gdp numbers
What Im not understanding is your dramatic response

Combined Statistical Areas are the result of Metro Areas being merged when 15%-24.99% of the residents of one Metro Area commute to jobs in a neighboring Metro Area.

In some cases, tens of billions of dollars in earned income cross metro area borders.

Once the percentage reaches 25% or greater, they become a single Metro Area.

Quote:
and what does that have to do with the costs of illegal immigration?
Well, you asked for info, remember?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 09:14 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,585,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
So, if a major fraction of SoCal illegals were reported, rents and mortgages would become affordable to the legal citizenry middle class?
I live in SoCal . You have certain neighborhoods that are going to have more illegals than others .

Even the city of L.A itself is a very large area with many neighborhoods within the city limits .

A mass deportation of illegal aliens could cause higher vacancy rates in apartments or rental properties in those areas .

I don't know how many illegals are on a lease though . It's possible for example for an illegal to be living with legal citizens or maybe young adults that are here on DACA .

In that case maybe the rental unit would maybe not be vacated and they would bring on roommates .

There is a strong demand for housing in la and a housing shortage .
I'd argue that replacing illegal residents with legal ones would improve neighborhoods

Even the most left liberal in la will be unlikely to want to live in an area with a high percentage of illegals.
These are more the high crime areas with not great amenities .

Illegals also of course are unlikely to be involved in working with local politicians to improve the neighborhood because they usually like to stay under the radar .

therefore that graffiti and trash etc doesn't get reported or at least not often enough .
Causes the neighborhoods to degrade more .

Old 02-10-2017, 09:15 AM

7,837 posts, read 6,430,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Sanctuary cities represent the majority of economic activity, don't bite the hand the feeds. Trump country is puny economically.

NYC metro - $1.7 trilllion
LA metro - $1.04 trillion
SF-SJ - $711 billion
Chicago - $618 billion
Boston - $531 billion
Houston - $525
DFW- $508

Remind me when Trump country can produce those numbers.... That's just the top 6 metros.
I'm sure all of the dishwashers, cab drivers, landscapers and drug dealers are responsible for that.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:21 AM

17,429 posts, read 11,444,963 times
That 1 million number is a farce. Anyone that lives in So CA knows it. There are more likely 5-6 million here and that's being conservative with the numbers.
Also, that number doesn't include millions of anchor babies, just the illegal parents.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:23 AM

20,741 posts, read 19,453,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
So, if a major fraction of SoCal illegals were reported, rents and mortgages would become affordable to the legal citizenry middle class?

Which is exactly what the California FIRE sector does not want. I have always said what this country thinks it needs is

"cheap, affordable housing , that rises in equity and becomes a valuable asset".

The financial press will run alternating sides of this equation in an infinite loop . Housing is too expensive. Housing is in negative equity....

The problem with our economy and the politics it creates is its too dependent on cash flows from rising asset prices. Moreover its fictitious capital based on demand and scarcity , not supply. So of course they want mass immigration. However when will it end? Do we want a billion people here? Do we want 5 billion?

Old 02-10-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Which is exactly what the California FIRE sector does not want. I have always said what this country thinks it needs is

"cheap, affordable housing , that rises in equity and becomes a valuable asset".

The financial press will run alternating sides of this equation in an infinite loop . Housing is too expensive. Housing is in negative equity....

The problem with our economy and the politics it creates is its too dependent on cash flows from rising asset prices. Moreover its fictitious capital based on demand and scarcity , not supply. So of course they want mass immigration. However when will it end? Do we want a billion people here? Do we want 5 billion?

I can definitely see the real estate and other sectors want population numbers to remain as high as possible despite people being legal or not .

Middle class can't buy homes in L.A county now .
This isn't really news of course but it's this is a new article with updated numbers

Middle-class workers can’t afford to buy homes in L.A. County and the future looks dim

It is kind of ridiculous that people think only large population areas can have a good economy.
I'd rather have a leaner and stronger economy than just a big economy with a lot of people that has a high GDP .

People will post these raw numbers .. look how big the L.A economy is !
Yeah but you still have way too many people in poverty .
CA has the highest poverty rate in the country if you adjust for cost of living .

Since everyone pretty much has to deal with cost of living it makes sense to adjust for it .

Old 02-10-2017, 09:44 AM

14,532 posts, read 11,354,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
They're certainly not hurting them. Liberal strongholds ARE America's economy.

Now kindly point us in the direction of the predominantly right-wing economic powerhouse that exists within our borders. Bullit County KY makes good bourbon, but I don't think they qualify.
How do you know they're not hurting them?

It costs 19,000/pupil/year to educate a child in the Boston Public Schools. Even if an illegal immigrant has only one child that they dragged with them from the war torn nation of Guatemala, do you think that they are going to pump 19,000/year into the Boston tax base?

Old 02-10-2017, 09:46 AM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,722,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That 1 million number is a farce. Anyone that lives in So CA knows it. There are more likely 5-6 million here and that's being conservative with the numbers.
Also, that number doesn't include millions of anchor babies, just the illegal parents.
Could this be the reason for political candidates that cater to illegals? And they say we don't have voter fraud? Otherwise the legal residents would have a chance to be heard and get rid of these criminals. Sounds like a bunch of crooks are running California.

Legal tax paying middle class cannot compete with government supported illegals and the companies who are benefiting from their low paying salaries. Middle class who voted for Trump are tired of this corruption.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:50 AM

25,916 posts, read 16,644,726 times
I'm willing to make sacrifices for the law and the Constitution. Just like my Dad did from 1942-1945 in the Marines. If it hurts the economy and costs me more for services so be it.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm willing to make sacrifices for the law and the Constitution. Just like my Dad did from 1942-1945 in the Marines. If it hurts the economy and costs me more for services so be it.
It's possible there could be some "hurt" in the economy but long term we will be better off .
Of course I could see those that own property or businesses where illegals are their bread and butter or workers being worried but that's not a good enough reason to keep the status quo .

I'd argue that CA would be more attractive to legal citizens without the huge numbers of illegals .

No not all illegals are gang members or criminals but some are .

Also even if they are just working they have no right to do so just because they want to .

Also why don't we hear their home countries ever say they are welcome back there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies