Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 02:04 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,000,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
There are plenty of miners that makes 6 degrees and this is in low cost of living areas, not high cost of living urban areas.
Tin roof,walk around porch on the side of the hill,satellite dish 4x4 Suv been thar done that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 02:06 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
They say the corn additives to gasoline cause even more green house gases why liberals even blame cow farts !
Eat mor chikin!
It does. And it's not farts.

They have to burn fossil fuel, coal for example, to generate the heat, a great deal of it, needed to distill ethanol from corn. Of course growing the corn takes gasoline to run the farm tractors. i.e. It takes a lot of fossil fuel energy to produce ethanol from corn.

This is the kind of idiotic thinking, turned into policy, that we have gotten from the EPA.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:09 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Coal mining employment peaked in the early 1920's and has been on the decline ever since. Save a small uptick in the 1980's the trend has not reversed.

There was another small uptick middle to late 1940's (WWII?), but once the 1950's hit things hit the skids again. This post WWII era was when the railroad and shipping sectors were moving from steam to diesel in a big way.

Am not hating nor blaming but clearly the handwriting was on that proverbial wall.

Of course some of this decline in employment can be attributed to introduction and use of modern mining equipment and methods that allowed increased productivity with fewer workers, but still.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:12 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I've no idea what this is supposed to mean or how it addresses what I said.
You said, "And it's absolutely stupid to spend all the money it would take to simply change over to a different fossil fuel. "

I said.... "Actually We're trying"

You said... "No we haven't, not even close."

Do you work in the energy business specifically the transportation side of energy? So you know with all certainty that plants are not being converted to natural gas? Well... my family does. And we've been converting them for 20 years now. Like I said, it will never be to 100% I agree. And truthfully, while cost is a huge factor in why we haven't converted more, the regulatory and community issue side has just as much to do with it. All one needs to do is go back and look at the complete and total timeline and fiasco getting the REX-East natural gas line through the northeast. Crude lines are a complete and total other ball of wax....

I'm sorry if I came off as rude. I'm at wits end today and suppose I've procrastinated my 1040 prep work for the day long enough...

Old 02-11-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
This is because they have to burn fossil fuel, coal for example, to generate the heat needed to distill ethanol from corn.

This is the kind of idiotic thinking that we have gotten from the EPA.
We had the EPA with their training on the railroad before all day long and who said you don't get a free lunch we did!
Olive Garden all we could eat!
Even more green house gas emitted!
To the people who want solar or wind locate and build them in Pritchard WV the NS railroad has a container yard there just built on the Heartland Corridor.Put your money where your mouth is!

Old 02-11-2017, 02:14 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Chronic exposure to anything you are surrounded by is just as or more hazardous to your health than coal. For example, radon in you house, RF frequency from all of your appliances at home, carbon monoxide from your vehicle, or from your furnace/boiler, RF from your cell and other cordless phones, radiation from air travel, and so on.

Also, natural "air exposed" asbestos deposits outdoors (or in your home), dust you inhale in traffic (you don't see it, but it contains all kinds of hazardous materials from internal combustion engines to asbestos from commercial vehicle brake linings, etc.).

Old 02-11-2017, 02:16 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,380,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
There are more jobs in renewable energy than in burning coal. We shut down a lot a farmers who used to raise tobacco for a living too. That's the way the work works. The coal era is ending. Get over it. In 2015 there were 2 new coal-fired plants built and 111 retired.
Well, then that will be 113 now. It was announced this week that Dayton Power & Light is shutting down two coal fired plants along the Ohio River in southern Ohio. Ohio's first truly large natural gas plants are under construction (it already has a number of smaller plants that operate during peak demand times), including one in Middletown a few miles north of the aforementioned coal plants. If Ohio, long a stalwart of coal produced power due in part to its coal mines in the eastern part of the state and even more so it's proximity to the coal states of Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and WV, coupled with it's reliance on cheap power for it's massive steel mills, auto plants, and other industries (for most of the last century Ohio led the nation in numbers of manufacturing workers, and not on a per capita or percentage basis either) is making this shift...that surely does not bode well for coal. But it is a change we need to make. We can find other jobs and careers, but we only have one planet.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:18 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
tRump promised everyone everything. And the uneducated heard what they wanted to hear. He conned them, hook line and sinker.

PS....as the song goes, I really was born a coal miner's daughter.

But my Dad (deceased from black lung in 1988) did not want any of my brothers to work in the coal mines. Or in a factory. He made sure all of us went to college.

I don't get these trumpholes who think a new factory means jobs for them, their kids and their grandkids. What happened to wanting something better for your kids???
I don't get it either.

Those $60K - $80K jobs working in the coal mines are disappearing and they aren't coming back.

Now you can curse Clinton and the "damn Democrats" all you want, but that train has left the station and they are tearing up the tracks.

Time to move on.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:18 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
It does. And it's not farts.

They have to burn fossil fuel, coal for example, to generate the heat, a great deal of it, needed to distill ethanol from corn. Of course growing the corn takes gasoline to run the farm tractors. i.e. It takes a lot of fossil fuel energy to produce ethanol from corn.

This is the kind of idiotic thinking, turned into policy, that we have gotten from the EPA.

Am no fan of the EPA, but we cannot lay ethanol policy totally at their feet.

Rather it is that agency's political masters (Congress and the POTUS) who forced ethanol upon us: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy...ty_Act_of_2007

Much of the push coming from mid-west farmers seeking a market for corn: The Shocking Truth About America's Ethanol Law: It Doesn't Matter (For Now) : The Salt : NPR

As with various other agricultural subsides such as sugar; good luck trying to reverse these laws. It just won't happen. Too many are making vast sums under the current arrangement for the plug to be pulled.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
You said, "And it's absolutely stupid to spend all the money it would take to simply change over to a different fossil fuel. "

I said.... "Actually We're trying"

You said... "No we haven't, not even close."

Do you work in the energy business specifically the transportation side of energy? So you know with all certainty that plants are not being converted to natural gas? Well... my family does. And we've been converting them for 20 years now. Like I said, it will never be to 100% I agree. And truthfully, while cost is a huge factor in why we haven't converted more, the regulatory and community issue side has just as much to do with it. All one needs to do is go back and look at the complete and total timeline and fiasco getting the REX-East natural gas line through the northeast. Crude lines are a complete and total other ball of wax....
Duke Energy plant Haverhill Ohio is a newer gas plant just had a fire in one of their big transformers the other day.Another energy company planned a second plant that never came to fruition nor has the steel mill that was to produce energy on the side with a steam turbine why waste good heat huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies