Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2017, 02:37 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Yes, but even the more remote areas are within a few hours drive of more prosperous cities in neighboring states. I do realize, though, that many don't have a couple of grand just laying around to move on. Maybe we could provide some relocation assistance, could be grants or loans, to those in certain dying industries along with retraining?
Yes. Exactly.

We cannot just tell these people, "Go get an education because life is not fair." or "go clean the toilet" lol

If the industry is dying (and I am sure it is), there should be an option for these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 02:39 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Energy experts give Trump the hard truth: You can’t bring coal back
Coal wasn’t killed by a political “war” — cheap renewables and fracked gas were the culprits.

https://thinkprogress.org/coal-wont-...b77#.gea4eu180

My son works in the oil industry and agrees with this. Most of his colleagues do as well.
Bloomberg Energy Finance? What makes them the expert? I am afraid they may be biased: https://about.bnef.com/about/

Fracking? Really? Many places are trying to close that down due to contamination of the water, dangerous spills and 25% increase in heart disease and cancer that appear to happen in areas where they are fracking.

I believe that Bernie Sanders is one of the most intelligent people in our country and cares more about the environment and actually understands more than most: Bernie Sanders: Fracking presents profound danger

I think the coal industry will rebound. I also think fracking will decrease as I just did a great deal of reading on that one. Fracking must be stopped!

I trust that Trump did his homework before making the statement. I trust Trump across the board.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:41 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yes. Exactly.

We cannot just tell these people, "Go get an education because life is not fair." or "go clean the toilet" lol

If the industry is dying (and I am sure it is), there should be an option for these people.
You're right but also politically speaking the Democrats could win those states over if they actually tried...if they had started working on that during the Obama admin. it's quite possible even Hillary would have won. They deserve everything they got in the election imo they deserved to lose. You can't just rely on 5 states to win your elections.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:44 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Yes, but even the more remote areas are within a few hours drive of more prosperous cities in neighboring states. I do realize, though, that many don't have a couple of grand just laying around to move on. Maybe we could provide some relocation assistance, could be grants or loans, to those in certain dying industries along with retraining?
Many, I fear, just think that the government has some sort of duty to ensure high paying jobs in whatever little locale they happen to already be in. That wasn't our attitude years ago...remember we are the nation that is mosy descended from immigrants and that got on covered wagons to cross the continent. A nation based on going where the opportunity is, and on technological progress, which means that their are always industries that are going to be going obsolete.

Out migration has been a problem in the Appalachia region for decades, and is one many locals are trying to stop/slow. That same debate also reared its head during the POTUS race and is what in part propelled His Orangness into office. A certain demographic in the Rust Belt, Appalachia and other "small town" regions don't want the continued movement of people away, especially their young.

Many younger people from these affected regions do go to college and or whatever means move away and find employment elsewhere. That is good for them, but it doesn't help the various small towns or areas that see their population dwindle year after year. At some point you are left with the elderly and or those that for various reasons will or can not move.

His Orangeness's message about "making America great again" is all about returning to a pre-WWII USA where vast swaths of the nation had booming manufacturing sectors. It remains to be seen how his administration is going to pull it off.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:45 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Bloomberg Energy Finance? What makes them the expert? I am afraid they may be biased: https://about.bnef.com/about/

Fracking? Really? Many places are trying to close that down due to contamination of the water, dangerous spills and 25% increase in heart disease and cancer that appear to happen in areas where they are fracking.

I believe that Bernie Sanders is one of the most intelligent people in our country and cares more about the environment and actually understands more than most: Bernie Sanders: Fracking presents profound danger

I think the coal industry will rebound. I also think fracking will decrease as I just did a great deal of reading on that one. Fracking must be stopped!

I trust that Trump did his homework before making the statement. I trust Trump across the board.
Yeah like I said earlier NY banned drilling. The war on coal shills claim natural gas is better, but they don't want the drilling in their backyard because apparently it's actually "not" cleaner or better, and on top of all that it's been debunked that it's cheaper.

lol, amazing stuff from the libbies I must say. Their logic and reasoning is firmly grounded in reality as always.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:45 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
I think the reality is that coal mining is probably not a very promising venture unless we can identify a niche market, develop new mining techniques that are more efficient than existing methods, or identify some other economic advantage not currently being exploited by an existing company.

Maybe the future is a more niche market. Coal jobs can be safer and more environment-friendly. Win win for everybody.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
i have no ideas what you are complaining about. NONE of my post is directed at you. Your response is certainly very strange.
No. It's not. Go back and read your post.

My original post wasn't dismissive of "the working class."

It was dismissive of coal mining. It's an industry that ruins the air, ruins miners' health, and destabilizes the ground beneath our feet.

I suggest that alternate industries are better sources of careers.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Aluminum production needs vast amounts of electricity we didn't have that capability till the TVA was built during FDR's New Deal before WW2.Aluminum was vital in the war effort and it would take a s#!t pot load of wind and solar panels to generate that amount of power.
Which is why work on making our uses of energy more efficient buys time to find better, cleaner alternatives.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Yes. Exactly.

If they're unemployed and uneducated, they'll qualify for the maximum grants and student loans.

They can put themselves through school just like all the liberals they like to rag on for going to college and having student loan bills.

But, hey...they'll be trained for other careers.

Community colleges offer a variety of options for very affordable prices.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:59 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
I think the reality is that coal mining is probably not a very promising venture unless we can identify a niche market, develop new mining techniques that are more efficient than existing methods, or identify some other economic advantage not currently being exploited by an existing company.

Maybe the future is a more niche market. Coal jobs can be safer and more environment-friendly. Win win for everybody.
Our coal industry is efficient machines are doing most of the work it took one hundred men to do like in China today there is where we need to send clean coal tech to...also India big polluters.
Haven't any of you here seen the mini series Coal on the History channel a few years back ?
Williamson WV had a big sign that said "Welcome to the heart of the billion dollar coal field."
You could smell the money back in the day had some good times wonder what it is like now ?
Depressed like every where else in Appalachia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies