Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 06:55 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
It is the apathy of American voters that elected Trump. We have them to blame for this disaster.
We were forced to choose between two sociopaths. A lot of people are sick of voting for the lesser of two evils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 06:58 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Funny how with an opportunity to criticize Trump, liberals forget all the ways they constantly criticize America. Wealth inequality, corporations buying elections, institutional racism and white privilege, bombin and droning people all over the world, poverty and homelessness in a wealthy country, the high cost of education, the remaining millions of people without insurance, the school to prison pipeline, the war on drugs, and on and on.
You're not allowed to criticize these things about America unless you're a liberal, remember?

Otherwise, it spoils their narrative.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:04 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
This is hogwash! Anyone who has any understanding of global economics knows that Adam Smith's invisible hand has far more power than Trump's tiny hands. Stated like a joke, but it is deadly serious.

The flaw in your argument is this: Sure, we can bring the jobs back to USA for $20 an hour, but sooner or later (more sooner than later) another competitor will realize they can make the same product for cheaper, but using cheaper labor, and they will, 'as if guided by an invisible hand', do it.

While it appeals to those who pay the price for globalism, it does not, and can not solve the problem. You see, Globalism is not some conspiracy, it is simply the 'science' of economics. It IS the invisible hand at work. The world has realized efficiencies, and any business, as if guided by an invisible hand, will take advantage of them.

The way to beat it is to either find a way to do things SO MUCH better, that it's worth the higher price, or to innovate and do other things that the competition can't. (Uber, WholeFoods, McDonalds have all created their niche, and are all over the place for different reasons, they have remained competitive. Why on EARTH would anyone pay $6 for a head of organic lettuce, but they do...).

Ultimately, our macro-economy benefits from being nimble. It means retraining coal workers to become blue collar technicians in a bio-lab or a space program, or a driverless car program. It does not mean they all have to go to harvard or MIT. It means we retool our "professional development infrastructure" to face today's economy, rather than clinging to yesterday.

No matter how you spin it, the Carrier deal has no long-term value. It is a short term band-aid, if even that. Some things are bigger than Trump. Some things are even bigger than America. The good news is that we are in the cat-bird seat to beat it all. We have the people, the economy, and the smarts. It's merely a distraction and a waste of time to try to compete with low-wage countries to keep unskilled jobs. It just is. Don't dumb us down, we can be (are) so much better.

And finally, if you do want to keep mfg jobs here, and support the $20/hr jobs, the ONLY way you'll be able to do it is to allow enough immigrants in who are willing to do the low-skill jobs that support them. Americans have resoundly stated (and I agree) they can't live in our economy on minimum wage.
LOL What a load of hogwash. What exactly are these people supposed to do? They all are going to grow organic lettuce?

The argument is NOT that the jobs have to return to pay $20 an hour. They argument is that we can't allow them to continue to leave, period. $14 an hour jobs are better than minimum wage jobs and yes people will work them.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
We were forced to choose between two sociopaths. A lot of people are sick of voting for the lesser of two evils.
For some reason, a large number of people are simply unable to understand this.

I've brought up a big winner for the (D)'s this morning. (the unjustifiable costs of health care). No one comments on it. It's all RUSSIA, RUSSIA, RUSSIA.

They for some odd reason do not understand that they are simply turning people off, not getting them on their side. This drug mess is a big winner for someone that would run with it but the parties would rather continue to divide as opposed to doing the things that would bring people together.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:10 AM

33,553 posts, read 18,143,148 times
The forgotten blue collar worker. Many Americans are coming out of colleges and have no job. College is not the answer. We have many industries that were totally destroyed by Nafta being shoved through . Since then we have had a major shift of what the landscape of American industry looks like.

Many areas across the country had factories that the local people depended on for a living. They have closed and the people have been forgotten. No party ever spoke up for the millions of Americans who kept losing jobs and wound up very poor . That was when they thought America was great. They pulled a good paycheck and life was good . They didn't have to depend on food stamps and scrimp by.

Today the men had to travel to find any kind of work and that ate up their paychecks.They had pride and wanted to work. Many have to go where the work is, leave the family , stay in a motel with other workers to make a few bucks. I talked to them on my travels. Do you think the senators and congressmen or the president cared about how they struggle?

They had no voice. They were invisible , off the radar . The cities , sure they had jobs but the towns across America were suffering and I saw the poverty. I talked to the people. One woman told me how the whole town was on welfare because their last factory closed. This woman and a few others were sitting on the stairs of the little church that was closed.

I saw main streets that looked like ghost towns . Everything closed. No money to keep them opened. Some were so far out from a grocery store they shopped monthly because they couldn't afford to go there weekly.

Yet our country allowed all these illegals in , cost us billions and billions while our own American family scrimped to get by. I saw trailers that should have been demolished they were so old and falling apart. It was hard to understand how it got like this. Poor people hide. The kids have no hope as their watch their family try to get by. Our country left many Americans behind and many made sure to go out and vote. They had hope again. They had someone talk about their plight. The forgotten man would not be forgotten anymore. Trump was right on every aspect and the people listened. They came out , rich and poor who knew he was talking for the forgotten American. I went to the rallies and they wanted better for the families who were brought down by our legislation of globalism. We stood for hours in the scorching heat to hear the message that rang true. We knew we had a country that destroyed many American families dreams. The left makes fun of those who are poor and in America. They have no compassion for their own. They think it is so easy for their path of prosperity was carved out for them. They should think,, by the grace of God go I.

Many try to overcome their poverty and it is hard to do when there is no way they can get out. Poverty is a stranglehold. A good job, food bought by the labor of your own hands and minds, strive to live a better life for your children. What parent wants to be poor and pass on poverty to their children? I know of none.

Trump has an eagle eye and saw how Americans struggle. His heart knows he can do so much more if he could be in the oval office to bring jobs to the people who are in need. This is why people voted Trump. Blacks , whites, Asians, Hispanics came out for the American family because of their compassion for their fellow American. God Bless the USA and its people.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:15 AM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Fear. tRump preyed on their fears. Hitler did the same in Germany. Hitler blamed the Jews; tRump blamed anyone who isn't white.
Ah, the fear thing again. That's a fantasy you're projecting onto your opponents.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:17 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's racism, plain and simple.

don't forget to add:

Bigotry
Islamophobia
Xenophoia
Misogynistic
White privilege
the NRA
Ted Nugent
Homophobia
Deplorable

Is there any other labels the left has given us that I missed ?

Old 02-15-2017, 07:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Trump is like no other politician before or probably after. He goofs up, says what's on his mind, he speaks the language of the common man. He goes to the issues that matter to the middle class family the most. The middle class working man wants a job and does not want illegals here, wants rule of law, and wants our military and law enforcement officers respected.

Also regarding my comment about Main St vs Wall St and corporate America. Where do I start, bailouts, NAFTA, wages, squeezing more productivity out of us without compensation, the list goes on... I knew that Hillary would continue the war on the middle class man that's been going on since Reagan, I'm hoping that Trump will reverse this.
But, would you not be happier with a president who spent more time doing that stuff you say you want?

I think all people REALLY want is more job opportunities that pay a respectable wage.

I realize politicians have trained people to think all the "illegals" are taking their jobs, but the reality is that most of them are not taking the jobs that pay good wages. They are also employed only because there are no repercussions for prople who hire them.

Not sure what you exactly mean by rule of law, but I do know you cannot force respect.

The way I see it is that if people are not particularly miserable with their personal, financial situation and their living environment, they are less likely to desire dramatic upheavals.

Trump is focusing on what people identify as symptoms and has convinced people those symptoms are the cause.

He may "speak the language of the common man" (not sure what that means except dramatically smaller vocabulary), but he has not EVER been a common man. He was born into a household that was firmly part of the elite class that so many Middle Americans revile. He has NO idea what it's like to live as "regular folk."

How can he really understand?

Old 02-15-2017, 07:27 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
LOL What a load of hogwash. What exactly are these people supposed to do? They all are going to grow organic lettuce?

The argument is NOT that the jobs have to return to pay $20 an hour. They argument is that we can't allow them to continue to leave, period. $14 an hour jobs are better than minimum wage jobs and yes people will work them.
There is a shortage of trained, technically competent people in our country. The ALREADY have the capability to learn new skills. I don't think everyone needs to grow organic lettuce (LOL), but here in NC, where Tobacco reigned for centuries, those who know farming were forced to change. Example: Some of them went to cotton, some went to soy, some raised corn for ethenol. Those people were equivelent to your $14/hr is better than minimum wage. But a lot of people took what they already knew, and specialized in crops like herbs, or locally grown (for farm to table), or any host of other innovative, out of the box things. Many of those people are making a great living, and they are also employing people. One guy here took his farm and made it into a pumpkin farm. He recognized that he had a big audience, and started doing hay rides, then put in a train. Now he has a small-scale theme park that people come from long ways. He's doing well.

...or we could just tell everyone they should keep smoking, so we don't lose those jobs. Because in an analogous way, that is exactly what the Carrier Deal is doing.

So yeah, maybe the farmers can grow "organic lettuce" (or whatever). The people who worked in a textile mill could work in a high-tech fiber plant. The people who were displaced out of Carrier might work in a vaccine plant. It takes "some" training, but we have the resources in place to do that, and it truly would keep American great still (KAGS).

Old 02-15-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But, would you not be happier with a president who spent more time doing that stuff you say you want?

I think all people REALLY want is more job opportunities that pay a respectable wage.

I realize politicians have trained people to think all the "illegals" are taking their jobs, but the reality is that most of them are not taking the jobs that pay good wages. They are also employed only because there are no repercussions for prople who hire them.
Trump just started. IMO he started off poorly, EO, EO, EO, but this is where people should be hitting him. Not for getting along with Russia.

Quote:
Not sure what you exactly mean by rule of law, but I do know you cannot force respect.

The way I see it is that if people are not particularly miserable with their personal, financial situation and their living environment, they are less likely to desire dramatic upheavals.

Trump is focusing on what people identify as symptoms and has convinced people those symptoms are the cause.

He may "speak the language of the common man" (not sure what that means except dramatically smaller vocabulary), but he has not EVER been a common man. He was born into a household that was firmly part of the elite class that so many Middle Americans revile. He has NO idea what it's like to live as "regular folk."

How can he really understand?
Bernie seemed to understand.

As to the thread title......why shouldn't I think the country awful for all the wars we have started? For our insistence that Wall Street is all that matters? For ignoring things like I posted earlier where a drug company wants to charge $90,000 that is available elsewhere for $1500?

Is all of this not enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies