Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 06:57 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,425,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I don't think you know what the phrase "decades long trend" means.
You implied that there was an uninterrupted drop in homicides until Obama. That is false - - from 2001-2006 it trended UP.

You're just trying to save face now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 08:17 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,570,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
So your argument is that Republicans in the 1980s did not do enough to reverse the epidemic of violent crime that began in the '60s? They should have cracked down harder? ...started putting even more people in prison?
Did enough? The violent crime rate was going up throughout the second half of the Reagan presidency and all of the Bush presidency. It goes down once Clinton gets into office.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:46 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,869,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Liberal cities like New York City? A city that had 404 murders in 1928 (the first year the number was tabulated) and just 335 last year, despite the addition of an extra 2.5 million people over that time? A city that had 539 murders a year when Giuliani was in his last year of office? Or were you talking about Los Angeles, which had a murder rate of 6.3 per 100,000 last year instead of 34.2 per 100,000 in 1980. Or maybe you're talking about San Diego, where Democrats outnumber Republicans 42% to 25% - - after all, we are the safest of the ten most populous cities in the United States and only had 32 murders out of our 1.35 million people last year.
San Diego has a Republican Mayor Kevin Falconer. I know Democrats outnumber Republicans in San Diego but it does have a Republican Mayor.

San Diego though is very conservative in my opinion. It is very much a suburban city of single-family homes and apartment buildings that are super selective due to very low vacancy rates.

The apartment vacancy rate is very low in San Diego and landlords can afford to be extremely selective. Supposedly, even most single room occupancy units tend to insist on a stellar record. The barrier's to entry to San Diego are very high.

New York City like Boston is a different sort of liberal city. They both have unlimited resources at their disposal and have a blank check book for any social ill's the city has.

New York City also has one of the highest police to citizen ratio's in America. Several times more police per-capita then many cities.

I am very conservative but I will admit that at least New York City and Boston have liberalism that works. Then again New York City is the finance, insurance, real estate powerhouse in a finance, insurance and real estate dominated economy now days.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
San Diego has a Republican Mayor Kevin Falconer. I know Democrats outnumber Republicans in San Diego but it does have a Republican Mayor.

San Diego though is very conservative in my opinion. It is very much a suburban city of single-family homes and apartment buildings that are super selective due to very low vacancy rates.

The apartment vacancy rate is very low in San Diego and landlords can afford to be extremely selective. Supposedly, even most single room occupancy units tend to insist on a stellar record. The barrier's to entry to San Diego are very high.

New York City like Boston is a different sort of liberal city. They both have unlimited resources at their disposal and have a blank check book for any social ill's the city has.

New York City also has one of the highest police to citizen ratio's in America. Several times more police per-capita then many cities.

I am very conservative but I will admit that at least New York City and Boston have liberalism that works. Then again New York City is the finance, insurance, real estate powerhouse in a finance, insurance and real estate dominated economy now days.

You completely skipped over the city you love to hate, Los Angeles. Maybe when you're done whiping the egg from your face, after creating yet another FAILED thread, you can explain why LA's murder rate is a fraction of what it was at the turn of the century.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:33 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,768,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
You completely skipped over the city you love to hate, Los Angeles. Maybe when you're done whiping the egg from your face, after creating yet another FAILED thread, you can explain why LA's murder rate is a fraction of what it was at the turn of the century.
Latino gangs won the war with blacks?

Old 02-14-2017, 09:56 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,869,765 times
Quote:
Los Angeles has had a huge increase in the violent crime rate as of late with robberies up 29% and aggrevated assaults up 49%

Audio: Violent crime up for second straight year in Los Angeles | 89.3 KPCC

I have been in the roughest parts of Los Angeles several times the last couple of years and there tens of thousands people on the streets and there are a massive sense of hopelessness, despair and disorder.

Unlike the NYPD, the LAPD has very few resources. I have not been in New York but have heard one of the first things police notice is law enforcement everywhere. Los Angeles on the other hand is very light on police presence as the city has a much less police per-capita.

I have been in downtown Los Angeles several times in the last year and there is huge sense of desperate and hopefully. There are tens of thousands of homeless with no sense of hope.

Besides, Los Angeles had 30 homicides through February 4th.

New York City with more then double the population has had 24 homicides.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...en-us-city.pdf

I think Los Angeles is a terrible run-city with a massive unsheltered homeless population, lots of communicable diseases because of the lack of sanitation in certain areas and it also has many people in very crowded, unhealthy living conditions.

All that aside, Los Angeles does have a relatively low homicide rate compared to many cities. The violent crime rates have skyrocketed but are still way below what they were.

I think it will be interesting when last years violent crime numbers are released. Los Angeles is certainly spiraling upward rapidly on violent crime rate.

Los Angeles is no New York City it that regards. New York City homicide rate just keeps tumbling but Los Angeles more or less has gotten rougher.

It seems like in general, that cities have an increase in violent crime rates a few years before an increase in the homicide rate. I know in Denver for instance violent crime started going up after 2010, but the homicide rate didn't skyrocket until 2 years ago and last year was even worse.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 02-14-2017 at 10:10 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 10:11 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,570,177 times
Quote:

San Diego has historically been more purple than blue, to be sure, but even when you expand out to the county as a whole, the number of murders is very low. That's with a huge Middle Eastern population in El Cajon, a huge Filipino population in Mira Mesa, and obviously a large Mexican population throughout the county (especially in San Marcos, Escondido, and the like). It's a very cosmopolitan area - - and, in theory, it's never too cold to go out and shoot.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:16 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,603,038 times
This is probably a result of guns, slavery, and institutionalized racism.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Los Angeles has had a huge increase in the violent crime rate as of late with robberies up 29% and aggrevated assaults up 49%

Audio: Violent crime up for second straight year in Los Angeles | 89.3 KPCC

I have been in the roughest parts of Los Angeles several times the last couple of years and there tens of thousands people on the streets and there are a massive sense of hopelessness, despair and disorder.

Unlike the NYPD, the LAPD has very few resources. I have not been in New York but have heard one of the first things police notice is law enforcement everywhere. Los Angeles on the other hand is very light on police presence as the city has a much less police per-capita.

I have been in downtown Los Angeles several times in the last year and there is huge sense of desperate and hopefully. There are tens of thousands of homeless with no sense of hope.

Besides, Los Angeles had 30 homicides through February 4th.

New York City with more then double the population has had 24 homicides.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...en-us-city.pdf

I think Los Angeles is a terrible run-city with a massive unsheltered homeless population, lots of communicable diseases because of the lack of sanitation in certain areas and it also has many people in very crowded, unhealthy living conditions.

All that aside, Los Angeles does have a relatively low homicide rate compared to many cities. The violent crime rates have skyrocketed but are still way below what they were.

I think it will be interesting when last years violent crime numbers are released. Los Angeles is certainly spiraling upward rapidly on violent crime rate.

Los Angeles is no New York City it that regards. New York City homicide rate just keeps tumbling but Los Angeles more or less has gotten rougher.

It seems like in general, that cities have an increase in violent crime rates a few years before an increase in the homicide rate. I know in Denver for instance violent crime started going up after 2010, but the homicide rate didn't skyrocket until 2 years ago and last year was even worse.

I like how your thread attacks liberal cities, yet you keep gushing over NYC one of the most liberal cities in America.

This thread keeps failing, and no, violent crime in LA has not skyrocketed, LAPD tweaking their methodology led to the sharp increase. Homicide and violent crimes almost always rise or fall together but that hasn't been the case in Los Angeles.

Conservatives should spend more time producing a right-leaning city that actually helps the economy instead of obsessing over liberal strongholds.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:48 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,768,591 times
Quote:
I like how your thread attacks liberal cities, yet you keep gushing over NYC one of the most liberal cities in America.
NYC is an interesting case, undeniably liberal, yet willing to turn a blind eye to hard core police tactics and racial profiling for years and able to get away with it. I guess when you reach a certain level of eliteness you're allowed to do what it takes to ensure security - sensitivity for thee but not for we.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies