Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 10:27 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Did you not get the memo?

The freedom of speech stops at any speech liberals disagree with!
They didn't catch the irony of Milo being prevented from speaking in the Berkeley free speech zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 10:30 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Be careful what you wish for. If this were to happen the OP and many of their cohorts wouldn't be able to post the bigoted things they do here.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:35 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Be careful what you wish for. If this were to happen the OP and many of their cohorts wouldn't be able to post the bigoted things they do here.
They know not what they do.

That's how useful idiots are useful.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:41 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
The elimination of civility will leave people exposed to even more bigotry than they are already unjustly subjected to. And the elimination of civility and tacit toleration of racist terminology will serve to perpetuate negative stereotypes and societal ugliness.

This said, I think the IDEA of political correctness is good. It is to be kind, to refrain from hurtful language and to treat others as we would like to be treated. Can "Political Correctness" be taken too far? Certainly.

Just like everything in life, balance is the key?

Is censorship the answer? No.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:41 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
A lot of the problem with comments sections is a few extremists take over and moderate people don't step in and put them in their place. It's usually White Supremacists vs Black Supremacists on a lot of Facebook local news station comment sections in my area.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:44 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you not understand the difference between self-censorship and government censorship? Seriously?
Yes I do. I was just asking you an honest question. For example, I don't curse in my home or the home of my parents or at work. Hence, many people that see me daily do not know that I actually curse. My point being is that you can be around someone.....and not really know them because everyone self sensors themselves. This goes back to my OP. When things are censored, whether it be on forums, by the government, by the media, or whether it be self censor.....it prevents people from having a complete picture. Thus, where I do curse....often times people are shocked.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:45 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
A lot of the problem with comments sections is a few extremists take over and moderate people don't step in and put them in their place. It's usually White Supremacists vs Black Supremacists on a lot of Facebook local news station comment sections in my area.
^This is the raw truth right here. It does us moderates a disservice in that it eventually convinces us that everyone around us is totally insane. The truth is that it's in actuality a small number of people just making the loudest noise.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes I do. I was just asking you an honest question. For example, I don't curse in my home or the home of my parents or at work. Hence, many people that see me daily do not know that I actually curse. My point being is that you can be around someone.....and not really know them because everyone self sensors themselves. This goes back to my OP. When things are censored, whether it be on forums, by the government, by the media, or whether it be self censor.....it prevents people from having a complete picture. Thus, where I do curse....often times people are shocked.
Generally speaking, I curse very little.

Do I self-censor? Of course, everyone does with the exception of the character that couldn't lie in that Jim Carey movie Liar Liar.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:52 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
That's my point, though. There are people literally calling him a racist because of something simple like this.

People are wearing out the term, and classify silly stuff as "hatred" or "white supremacy" when they basically slander these terms to make them work for their narrative.

And now, these same people want to censor people who aren't on the same page as them.

Twitter is about to begin rolling out similar policies, also. This is why that's a scary thing, imo.
Is it possible that you may give more weight to those absurd examples than to more legitimate examples? How can you be sure that you are not guilty of "selection bias"? For example, do you dismiss studies that show racism is prevalent?

Here is my point. If you WANT to discredit or dismiss something, you will tend to look for evidence that will create that effect. For example, if a person does not like hearing something, regardless of how true it is or not, there low tolerance will create an abnormal sensitivity. In other words, a person can hear an argument about left right politics 100 times, but not be tired of hearing about it, but hear an argument about white black racism 10 times and be tired of hearing about it. Its not that a person is actually tired of hearing something.....its just that they do not want to hear it.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:55 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
But only a white person can be censor, only a white person can be a biggot or racist, all other get free ride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies