Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 05:05 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Rest assured you were not lied to, as the Founding Fathers thought a free press was essential to the survival of our republic.

That said, they were afraid of a state controlled press, typically by coercion, force, or ownership
. They probably didn't imagine that the profession would become so ideologically one sided, that most of the media of the time would ever align with only one party. That is especially true if most of the press actively tried to frame false narratives about one side negatively, but ignore the real problems with the candidate/s they agreed with politically.

So yes, everyone should want a free, fair and balanced press/media. Trouble is that we lack one presently, and it has become increasingly obvious to many more Americans than ever before.
You mean like Breitbart? I'm far more fearful of having Bannon involved with the President, intelligence, and foreign affairs than I am of some left-leaning biases in other publications. Bias is one thing - outright lying is a completely different matter.

I don't want to think that this is what Trump and his administration are doing, but it does feel like they're aiming to de-legitimize all media except for "sanctioned" ones (perhaps Breitbart?). At that point, what's the difference between America and an authoritarian dictatorship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 05:10 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl
Isn't that how these dictators get the people indoctrinated? Cut their information off then keep them ignorant.
Exactly is!!!!!!!

My friend keeps saying to me "CHECK OUT TRUMPS TWEETS TO FIND OUT THE TRUTH ABOUT HIM.....Everytime the media says something HE TWEETS THE TRUTH..."

Oh my lord......... If I didnt care about them so much,I would tell them off!! (I dont wanna risk losing thier friendship)

Old 02-17-2017, 05:12 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,787,848 times
Has Trump never heard freedom of the press!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2017, 05:13 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
On Fox News this morning Bill Hemmer interviewed former CBS newsman and outspoken critic of liberal bias in reporting, Bernard Goldberg.

Goldberg estimates that approximately 35% of voters not only support Trump, but would have continued to support him had he chosen to shoot a couple of reporters at his press conference yesterday, rather than simply raising hell.

He said that Trump's error is not realizing that he was elected not because of that fanatical hard core of zealots, but because of a lot of voters who voted for him with reservations, either because they hated Hillary or just thought it was time for a change. He didn't think that the press conference yesterday did anything to reassure those soft supporters.

Neither does this tweet.
Precisely. WHY? Why tweet? Why complain? What does Trump or anyone really expect to happen? Why take a risk that you start to appear slightly unhinged to voters outside your base? Certainly, he's not going to change the minds of those who've already concluded he is unhinged? And the base will defend him to the end. No wavering there. So what's the upside?

Maybe he does just respond to the impulse of the moment.

Maybe his new communications director will have some influence.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'm ok with his calling out the press. I'm less ok with this being the only thing he seems to want to talk about. He's more than made his point, move on Trump.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:34 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Yes, Trump the press, the intelligence community and the judiciary are all your enemy you greedy slob...and you know why? Because they can fact check your bull-****, expose you and control your fascist agenda. Suck it up you swindler!
a melting snowflake

Old 02-17-2017, 05:47 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times
the MSM is completely biased. you have to be blind not to see it. hopefully this will get more people to think about the line they take.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:55 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
His war on the press is pure insanity.

So much time being wasted on such inconsequential issues.

Can't this guy just worry about doing his job and not worry about what people are saying about him? What a freaking petulant child.
The press is disgusting.

NYT CNN Washington Post are all garbage. There is a reason why they are losing viewers and readership, they no longer reporting unbiased news. Journalism are supposed to report unbiased news, but they just make **** up.

If you have watch what Trump has said on his press meeting yesterday 2/16 and saw CNN put out-today, then you know what I mean.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:17 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The news is clearly biased. The media pushes propaganda that does not serve the interests of the American people as a whole. They aim to distort reality and push a narrative that is harmful to Americans.

Trump is correct that the press is an enemy of the American people.
No, Trump is an enemy of the American people.

You may want him to be able to ignore the rule of law and collude with foreign powers and throw away the constitution, but I for one want to know when an administration is lying to me. I want to know when members of an administration are guilty of treason.

Unlike Trump and his worshippers, I rather like the United States. I quite enjoy living in a stable country. I like it when the president and his aides don't lie to me on a daily basis.

Alas, the Trump cult does not like the United States. They do not like the truth. They enjoy propaganda and having everything reduced to a series of simplistic, childish, easily disproven lies.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:21 PM

610 posts, read 533,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I guess they lied to me in school when they said that a free press was essential to a democracy.

(link to the story

Trump tweets: Press ‘is the enemy of the American people’ - POLITICO)
No they are correct, a free press is essential. But we don't have one anymore, the left and its imbecile cohorts have taken it over and prostituted it. When President Trump is finished with them and they go into their holes, it will be free again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies