Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2017, 04:18 PM

1,362 posts, read 874,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Are you serious that you don't understand he misspoke and when he said last night he was referring to the fox story he saw last night?

When people you know in real life misspeak, do you immediately jump on them and call them a liar.

This is a non story created wholly by the media.
He didn't misspeak. He misunderstood. He watched some B-roll footage of some rioting from who knows when and thought it was currently happening. That is an uninformed president, out of touch with current events, which clearly impacts his decision-making skills. Perhaps he would've learned that nothing had happened that night if he had attended his daily briefing.

Please, for the sake of our country, everyone, destroy every VHS, DVD, and BluRay of War Games you can find. Red Dawn as well.

We have a president who does not read, does not listen to anyone, and takes everything he sees on TV as fact. He's more interested in his own ratings than he is in our security. I beg his supporters to start paying attention to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 04:19 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
It has nothing to do with hating Trump. No other president has misspoke as much in their complete terms as much as Trump has in the first month. You can't get mad at the press for reporting the things that he says.
Steve Bannon is a genius.

Make the "press" the enemy.

Then everything reported from the "bad" media.

Beautiful. Ain't it?

Old 02-20-2017, 04:21 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Are you serious that you don't understand he misspoke and when he said last night he was referring to the fox story he saw last night?

When people you know in real life misspeak, do you immediately jump on them and call them a liar.

This is a non story created wholly by the media.
He "misspeaks" more often than any other public person now or in history and he never corrects himself. That pattern of lies/misspeaks is a major reason why he is a terrible president. No one knows on any given day what the heck he means. He's supposed to be a world leader whose words are translated into dozens of languages. He needs to be precise.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:21 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Okay, let's be honest, shall we? I just listened to the actual tape of what he said. He didn't say anything about any terrorist attack. He didn't even make reference to any event. He said, "...you look at what's happening in Sweden..."

That's what he said. And what is happening in Sweden? They are experiencing a huge rise in crime and violence, including RAPE since they have begun opening their doors to "refugees." Note that is a fact, supported by numerous articles, a couple of which I have already posted here.

Dishonest media, criticizing him, claiming he "made up a terrorist attack." Not true!
Did you actually listen to the tape? You're lying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0tSLV3GGQc

Quote:
"You look at what's happening last night in Sweden. Sweden! Who would believe this? Sweden! They took in large numbers, they're having problems like they never thought possible."
Listen, this doesn't even have to be a big deal. We can easily just move on - he lied. Not a big deal, he's done it countless times before.

Maybe he "meant" something else...whatever. But he said what he said.

And if you want to make it about Sweden and the "problems" they're having with refugees (even thought that's not what Trump said), let's actually examine that (because just because Trump says something, that doesn't make it true):

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/20/politi...ees/index.html
Quote:
"The crime rate has not skyrocketed," Azita Raji told CNN's Chris Cuomo on "New Day," citing data showing a weak correlation between terrorism and the migrations.
Quote:
"I think that when we talk about these immigration patterns we need to use the facts that are available. There's absolutely no data to support that," Raji said of the Trump administration claims.
Sweden has a population of about 10 million people and has accepted around 200,000 recent migrants, she said.
"Based on that we should be reporting terrorist attacks in Sweden every week. You (saw) no such thing last year," Raji said.

Factcheck.org: Trump Exaggerates Swedish Crime
Quote:
Swedish authorities and criminologists say President Donald Trump is exaggerating crime in Sweden as a result of its liberal policy of accepting refugees from Syria and other Middle Eastern countries.

Statistics show there has been an uptick in some crime categories since the country took in 160,000 asylum-seekers in 2015. But experts said there is no evidence of a major crime wave.
Quote:
While there has been an uptick in some crime categories, government statistics from Sweden do not corroborate the claim of a major crime wave due to immigrants.

According to the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention (BrÃ¥), lethal violence (murder, manslaughter and assault that results in death) totaled 112 victims in 2015. That’s up by 25 (a sizable increase) from 2014, but it’s about the same as the number in 2007, which was 111 victims.

“In a long-term perspective, ever since the 1990’s when BrÃ¥ started the measurements, the trend shows that lethal violence is declining,” the website says.

The group’s latest Swedish Crime survey for 2016 found that 13.3 percent stated that during the course of 2015, they were exposed to offenses that included assault, threats, sexual offenses, robbery, fraud or harassment.

“This is an increase as compared with the preceding year (in 2014 the percentage was 11.3%), but is approximately the same level as in 2005,” the report states. “When compared with 2014, the increase was greatest for threats, sexual offences, and harassment. The results from coming years will show whether the increase for the most recent year is the beginning of a new trend, or a temporary deviation from an otherwise relatively stable level.”

There was also a slight increase in the perception of crime, as the percentage of people with “great concern about crime in society” increased from 22 percent in 2015 to 25 percent in 2016. That’s still down from 29 percent in 2006. The survey also found that the percentage of people “anxious about being a victim of an attack or assault has increased from 11 per cent in 2015 to 15 per cent in 2016, which is the same level as in 2006.”
Quote:
Henrik Selin, head of the Department for Intercultural Dialogue at the Swedish Institute, told us the surge of asylum seekers in 2015 has created challenges for Sweden, but he said reports from right-leaning media about a surge of immigrant crime have been “highly exaggerated.”

“So many things are being claimed,” Selin said. “If you look at the facts, there is nothing to support the claim that the crime rate took off after the 160,000 came in 2015.”

Crime has generally been trending down for the last decade, but there was a small uptick last year, he said. While it’s true that immigrants have been over-represented among those committing crimes — particularly in some suburban communities heavily populated by immigrants, he said — the issue of crime and immigration is complex. Upon closer examination, Selin said, researchers have found that the crime is more closely associated with factors like joblessness, poverty and exclusion from society. “It is not clear that immigrants are susceptible to committing such crimes,” he said.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 02-20-2017 at 04:32 PM..

Old 02-20-2017, 04:24 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Trust me, people are blinded by the hatred for him and use any excuse to trash him. I don't have a dawg in the fight because like I said I didn't vote for him. Objectivity is really out the window for a lot of news outlets. Yeah, they report some facts, but the bias clearly shines through.

They ripped Bush W too because he spoke about as well as a farm animal, he made his share of missteps too.
These are not just "any excuses". He is stating things that are factually wrong.

His inauguration crowd was not the biggest in history.
It did rain during his inauguration.
He did not have the biggest Electoral College margin of victory since Reagan.
No terrorist attack occurred in Sweden last Friday.

“We’ve allowed thousands and thousands of people into our country. There was no way to vet those people. There was no documentation, there was no nothing.†- most go through 2 years of vetting.

There are not "misspeaks", they are verifiable facts that he is altering to fit his narrative.

There's a long history of presidential untruths. Here's why Donald Trump is 'in a class by himself' - LA Times

From 09/16/2016:
During the height of Donald Trump’s relentless birtherism in 2011, the reality TV star claimed he had personally sent investigators to Hawaii to uncover information about President Barack Obama’s birthplace and boasted that they couldn’t “believe what they’re finding.â€
Trump made the claim about the detectives in April 2011, during an interview with NBC’s “Today†show.
“I have people that actually have been studying it and they cannot believe what they’re finding,†Trump told host Meredith Vieira.
“You have people now down there searching, I mean in Hawaii?†she asked.
“Absolutely,†he replied. “And they cannot believe what they’re finding.â€
When ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos asked him about the investigators later that month, Trump refused to say what they had found.
“It’s none of your business right now,†he said. “We are going to see what happens.â€
CNN’s Anderson Cooper also confronted him about the investigation that month.
“Can you name even one person who your investigators have talked to?†Cooper asked.
“I don’t want to do that right now,†Trump said. “It’s not appropriate right now.â€
The time apparently still isn’t right. More than five years after he first made the claim, Trump hasn’t provided any proof that his probe actually happened.
There's Still No Evidence That Trump Sent Investigators To Hawaii To Dig Up Dirt On Obama | The Huffington Post

Old 02-20-2017, 04:24 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This is exactly what I was trying to say up thread. People misspeak all the time. People are so blinded by their Trump hate that any objectively goes out the window. People need to lighten up a bit and be a little bit less reactionary. I say this as a guy that didn't vote for the guy, but I feel objectivity is important to me. I didn't like Obama either, but I never had this intense hatred for him and use any excuse I could muster up to lambast the guy.
Its unclear to me whether or not people are so blinded by hatred they have lost all objectivity or they are just stupid and cannot connect all the dots when its been spelled out for them.

The media has made it clear to the public that they are going to pounce on and overhype every little thing they can find to jump on. You are on notice fellow Americans........the media plans to spin you every day for as long as they can while Trump is president.

The country would be much better off if everyone stopped overreacting to this sort of nonsense.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Did you actually listen to the tape? You're lying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0tSLV3GGQc

Listen, this doesn't even have to be a big deal. We can easily just move on - he lied. Not a big deal, he's done it countless times before.

Maybe he "meant" something else...whatever. But he said what he said.

Trump - lowering the bar for everyone.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Its unclear to me whether or not people are so blinded by hatred they have lost all objectivity or they are just stupid and cannot connect all the dots when its been spelled out for them.

The media has made it clear to the public that they are going to pounce on and overhype every little thing they can find to jump on. You are on notice fellow Americans........the media plans to spin you every day for as long as they can while Trump is president.

The country would be much better off if everyone stopped overreacting to this sort of nonsense.
And the bar keeps getting lower.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:26 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Trump - lowering the bar for everyone.
Well, I'm certainly not happy about it. I think it's disgusting how often Trump and his team lies and obfuscates.

I just wish people would actually recognize when it happens. Instead of denying the reality that we have on tape.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:31 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
The attacks on Trump by the Left on this Sweden thing is proof that pure hatred is clouding their ability to understand context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies