Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:42 PM

8,155 posts, read 3,680,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That isn't the point. The point is that AGW isn't happening at the rate 36 of the 38 climate models predicted. The models' predicted rates of warming are off, quite significantly.
So you don't want us to believe in scientific consensus but in what you are saying.

Ok then, please do share what area is your Ph.D. in, and what is your track record in peer-reviewed journals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,835,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
*That are involved in the violation of Palestinian Rights*...if they operate in settlements or support settlements, they are under the purview of BDS.
That's NOT AT ALL what it says. The "that are involved" qualifier applies to COMPANIES, not Israel. Sheesh!

BDS calls for the unqualified Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions for Israel the country. Period!

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-23-2017 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 02-22-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
*That are involved in the violation of Palestinian Rights*...if they operate in settlements or support settlements, they are under the purview of BDS.

The ADL does some great things. They also do things that are counter productive. They have their opinion, and we have ours.
And I know what you're doing with your little selective incomprehension. You BDS supporters love to down-play the role of BDS to make them seem like good guys. They're not. They're an anti-Israel hate group.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:55 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
And I know what you're doing with your little selective incomprehension. You BDS supporters love to down-play the role of BDS to make them seem like good guys. They're not. They're an anti-Israel hate group.
In addition: The key words here are "They're an anti-Israel hate group" and not a "Pro-Palestinian people help group" as each company that has pulled out of the territories has caused massive job loses for the Palestinian people. What are they offering the Palestinian people to replace the companies that leave?

BDS fails to mention some of the same companies they are protesting against, Palestinian leaders use. It's okay for them to use certain bulldozers, but not the Israelis.

Hamas bulldozing Gaza homes | The Daily Caller

Old 02-23-2017, 09:04 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,556 times
Quote:
An Anti-Israel hate group that is supported by Israelis and Jews. I suppose those Israelis just want the destruction of their own State. Is that correct?

Old 02-23-2017, 12:52 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
Quote:
Does that make the Berkeley rioters an anti-American-Nationalist hate group?

Old 02-23-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
An Anti-Israel hate group that is supported by Israelis and Jews. I suppose those Israelis just want the destruction of their own State. Is that correct?
That's pretty much the case. However they are a fringe minority.

So far you've denied the BDS Movement's stated goals which I've shown you and and also what the ADL thinks of them. I think it's safe to say you're talking out your ass.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:41 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,556 times
Quote:
That's pretty much the case. However they are a fringe minority.

So far you've denied the BDS Movement's stated goals which I've shown you and and also what the ADL thinks of them. I think it's safe to say you're talking out your ass.
Oh? Do tell what Palestinian rights are being violated and *how* BDS perceives that? Hint: It's the settlements and occupation

To Peter Beinart: We pro-BDS Jews are just as much part of the Jewish people as you are - Opinion - Israel News | Haaretz.com

"The stories of Jewish students who support the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) of Israel until it ends its violations of Palestinian rights are often painful stories of exclusion from the Jewish community."

"More and more Jews today are leaving establishment Jewish institutions: they are flocking to independent minyanim, alternative havurahs and DIY ritual spaces across the country. In these heterogenous alternative spaces, they find not only many Jews who are against the occupation, but also many Jews who support BDS. Spaces like these, and organizations like JVP, are striving to create exactly what yesterday’s withering institutions cannot- a multi-racial, multi-ethnic, intergenerational, interfaith community centered around Jewish values of justice."

Old 02-23-2017, 11:48 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Oh? Do tell what Palestinian rights are being violated and *how* BDS perceives that? Hint: It's the settlements and occupation

To Peter Beinart: We pro-BDS Jews are just as much part of the Jewish people as you are - Opinion - Israel News | Haaretz.com

"The stories of Jewish students who support the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) of Israel until it ends its violations of Palestinian rights are often painful stories of exclusion from the Jewish community."

"More and more Jews today are leaving establishment Jewish institutions: they are flocking to independent minyanim, alternative havurahs and DIY ritual spaces across the country. In these heterogenous alternative spaces, they find not only many Jews who are against the occupation, but also many Jews who support BDS. Spaces like these, and organizations like JVP, are striving to create exactly what yesterday’s withering institutions cannot- a multi-racial, multi-ethnic, intergenerational, interfaith community centered around Jewish values of justice."
You're quoting an opinion by Ben Lorber. Being an American he gets a freedom of speech soapbox just like any other American. He can state whatever he wants as facts, but it doesn't mean it's 100% the truth. He's part of a small group which doesn't carry much weight among the majority of Jews. The group they are among is called Jewish Voice for Peace. Pretty much most of mainstream groups treat them at background noise.
https://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Voice_for_Peace

Old 02-24-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Quote:
You're kidding, right? You think by having vibrant Jewish Studies program they're immune from anti-antisemitism? Hardly. The Palestinians have Berkeley by the balls. Are you really not aware of the BDS movement's infiltration of the UC schools that make them pretty miserable for Jews now?

Institutionalized antisemitism at UC Berkeley

In the Safe Spaces on Campus, No Jews Allowed - The Tower

Why a Controversial Palestinian History Class at Berkeley Was Canceled, Then Reinstated

And this is not new...
Jewish Students Sue UC Berkeley for Allowing "Violent Anti-Semitic Attacks" | The Snitch

Southeast Berkeley Blanketed With Racist, Anti-Semitic Literature. Category: Page One from The Berkeley Daily Planet
Give me a break, the school as an institution is not anti-semitic. Do you know what that word actually means???
I never said that the school as an institution is antisemetic. But there are a lot of antisemetic incidents, enough for Algemenier to call rant it 12th of the worst 40 colleges for Jewish students.

You quoted my page of links above with some examples of antisemetic attacks at Berkeley and then accuse me of not knowing what antisemetism is. Most curious.
Quote:
And did you actually read about the course (started by a student, not the University) regarding Palestine? Or are students not allowed to explore this very complex issue?

Why a Controversial Palestinian History Class at Berkeley Was Canceled, Then Reinstated
I have no problem with the course at all. However, when it causes an up-tick in antisemitism on campus, THAT I have a problem with.

Funny you should post a link about the UC denouncing the antisemitism at their colleges, and Berkeley in particular, while at the same time claiming there is none. You seem very confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies