Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:13 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times

Advertisements

Politics in a soundbite
Republican form = "What's mine is mine, what's yours is yours, don't trespass."
Every other form = "What's yours is mine, so shut up, sit down, pay and obey."

Old 02-21-2017, 06:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This is a serious question. Considering conservatives are against minimum wage, against redistribution of wealth, against the commons (i.e. publicly funded things like police, schools, fire, etc), against unions, against healthcare. Really, what are they 'for'? And don't use the old personal responsibility line, because that isn't the question.
i am not against unions, except public sector unions(they need to be abolished), and i am not against health care or health insurance, i just dont want the federal government requiring these things since it isnt their purview.

as for being against police, schools, fire departments, etc. i consider these things not only essential, but being the purview of government at all levels. as fort eh minimum wage, once again i dont necessarily object to the minimum wage, but i DO object to the federal government setting said minimum wage. what works for arizona, does not work for california. and the federal government only deals in one size fits all approach, which in the end screws up everyone.

redistribution of wealth? what gives you the right to take what i earned? if i go out and put forth the necessary blood sweat and tears, and make myself very wealthy, why should you end up with a portion of that? you didnt earn it I did.

the problem here is yu think the government should solve all your problems for you, and give you everything, where as i, and most conservatives, dont. so even though you dont think so, there IS an element of personal responsibility. about 50% of all the court decisions and government regulations are due to people not taking personal responsibility for their own actions.

one glaring example from a number of years ago, remember the lady that sued mcdonalds because their coffee was too hot? remember what she did? she took the coffee cup, put it between her legs, and while driving she removed the cap to put in her cream and sugar, and she spilled the coffee on her. it was her mistake, she was the one that caused the problem, yet she was able to sue mcdonalds, and win a huge settlement. and mcdonalds in reality had NO responsibility for her actions, she did. but mcdonalds paid the price, as did every customer since.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:15 PM

45,238 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
I'm not against it because I believe in a certain level of redistribution. Not totally communistic, but enough to at least get people educated and get them healthcare, which helps society as a whole.
How much theft is acceptable to you?

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Minimum Wage. The problem conservatives have with it, is that there is a balance that liberals don't get. You cannot arbitrarily raise the wage just because it feels good. These are entry level jobs and the rise to 15 which is completely arbitrary will affect everyone because do you think the apprentice electrician who is now making 15 will be happy that the no skill laborer is making 15. It will trickle up quickly. Then you will have employers offering few jobs and what has been a right of passage for teenagers will dry up.

Redistribution of wealth is inherently unfair. Right now the top 50% of wager earners pay ALL of the income taxes in the US. Right now. So lets be honest and say you just want them to pay more, not their fair share which they already do.

Commons - Are fine, just not when the beauracracies get out of hand and the costs don't equal output.

Unions - become corrupt very quickly and almost universally. Would you be surprised to know that in California the teachers union spends more on lobbying than oil, health and high tech....combined!

Healthcare - is important obviously but conservatives do not see it as a right. Meaning you don't have the right to someone elses services without pay. We are all for excellent healthcare, but not the socialized kind.
Who said the doctors wouldn't get paid?

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
I have worked hard for everything I have. You should do the same.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:20 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
I want humans to be able to succeed or fail of their own accord using free minds in free markets with as little government meddling as possible. I want humans to earn what they have and keep what they earn to the greatest extent possible.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:23 PM

7,515 posts, read 5,758,525 times
Quote:
This is a serious question. Considering conservatives are against minimum wage, against redistribution of wealth, against the commons (i.e. publicly funded things like police, schools, fire, etc), against unions, against healthcare. Really, what are they 'for'? And don't use the old personal responsibility line, because that isn't the question.
Why don't you work for what you have instead of wanting to take it? Sound fair?

The problem
Is you don't have a clue what the answer is.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:25 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I have worked hard for everything I have. You should do the same.
Yawn. I do, and I make decent money, but still, the $52k/year I make doesn't go far these days. The thing that baffles me is that the plutocrats have convinced the slightly better off than the working Poor's that they are one of them and get them to vote against their own interests.

For example, someone who makes say $100k/year really isn't at that much higher of a level as someone who makes $20k/yr compared to a multimillionaire, but because that $100k/yr earner doesn't want to be associated with the working poor (who they are closer to than to being wealthy) they turn into your average false consciousness Republican voter

Old 02-21-2017, 06:26 PM

35,714 posts, read 21,081,460 times
They got proud, and greedy and started with me, myself and mine. But when they have their way, they will have less, watch...

Old 02-21-2017, 06:27 PM

15,537 posts, read 10,512,774 times
"Why don't conservatives want anybody to have anything?"

I can only speak for myself, but I'd like for you to have things. Really nice things, perhaps even own your own small business. If you would like a prosperous future, it would be in your best interest to support leaders who lean right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies