Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 07:40 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdcamaro1220 View Post
i asked because the false consciousness of the average republican who isn't rich and is never going to be rich, but supports the rich baffles me
Quote:
“i’ll tell you what’s at the bottom of it,” he said. “if you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.”
-lbj

Old 02-22-2017, 07:56 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
They got proud, and greedy and started with me, myself and mine. But when they have their way, they will have less, watch...
That's it exactly. Many, not all conservatives, have this selfish idea that every penny they earn and everything they do is mine, mine, mine, mine, mine. But that's not true. And it will never be true as long as you live in civilized society. You want roads to drive on? You want your kids to go to school? You want to call the police or fire trucks if your home catches on fire? You want a parking lot to park your car to go to the DPS for your driver's license? It's not all yours, you must pay taxes, and we must get along in civilized society whether you like other people and think they deserve whatever or not. And you're not the judge of what people deserve anyway.

If you are a Christian, you believe in a higher power who is the ultimate judge of who deserves what. If you are of another religion, you believe in a higher power who is the ultimate judge of who deserves what. And if you are a nonbeliever and you think you are a moral person, you still wouldn't be judging what other people deserve. The only person who thinks they legitimately have a right to judge what a stranger deserves to own or have in our world is a jerk who actually admits that to themselves. Are you a mean jerk? If you are, go right ahead and decide in your mind that Ms. X in the grocery checkout line shouldn't buy Coke because she is using a SNAP card; she should be buying milk instead. How petty can you be?

Old 02-22-2017, 08:02 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I want humans to be able to succeed or fail of their own accord using free minds in free markets with as little government meddling as possible. I want humans to earn what they have and keep what they earn to the greatest extent possible.
then we need to take a time machine back to the 1800's because there is absolutely no possibility of having a "free market" in the US in the 21st century. A free market works when there are two shoemakers in town and the best one gets the most business because customers have a choice. In 2017 if a small store opens and is in every way better than Walmart, Walmart still wins because it has the power to force out the competition.

When we have a political system that continually reward billionaires and corporations at the expense of people who work for a living, and lies to us about how our homage to the rich will eventually pay off, there is no free market, that is just neo-feudalism. It's the same economy that existed in Feudal Europe where starving peasants were executed for taking a deer from the King's hunting grounds.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:08 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I asked because the false consciousness of the average Republican who isn't rich and is never going to be rich, but supports the rich baffles me
because they have convinced themselves that they are among the 'chosen few' who will eventually become wealthy. It's bizarre but it's all part of the philosophy of Calvinism which unfortunately has become part of the psyche of people in the US, particularly the self proclaimed "Scots-Irish" in Appalachia and the rust belt.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:26 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,734,055 times
Conservatives want everybody to have everything, first and foremost.......a functioning brain, capable of critical thought.

Everything else falls in place after that.

CN

Old 02-22-2017, 08:27 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,562 times
Quote:
This is a serious question. Considering conservatives are against minimum wage, against redistribution of wealth, against the commons (i.e. publicly funded things like police, schools, fire, etc), against unions, against healthcare. Really, what are they 'for'? And don't use the old personal responsibility line, because that isn't the question.
The way you word this question makes it sound like fact- instead of opinion. We want people to earn/work for what they get. I realize that personal accountability and responsibility goes against the liberal agenda in today's America.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:29 AM

17,007 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Quote:
Yawn. I do, and I make decent money, but still, the $52k/year I make doesn't go far these days. The thing that baffles me is that the plutocrats have convinced the slightly better off than the working Poor's that they are one of them and get them to vote against their own interests.

For example, someone who makes say $100k/year really isn't at that much higher of a level as someone who makes $20k/yr compared to a multimillionaire, but because that $100k/yr earner doesn't want to be associated with the working poor (who they are closer to than to being wealthy) they turn into your average false consciousness Republican voter
Disagree.

The life of a 20K er is very likely light years worse in almost every respect than the 100K who cant begin to imagine the wealth AND POWER of the 100 million guy, many of whom make money with money. (See the HFT sites in North Jersey.)

Old 02-22-2017, 08:29 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
This is a serious question. Considering conservatives are against minimum wage, against redistribution of wealth, against the commons (i.e. publicly funded things like police, schools, fire, etc), against unions, against healthcare. Really, what are they 'for'? And don't use the old personal responsibility line, because that isn't the question.
Why does putting a gun on my head to take my legally earned money to pay for your stuff become moral, just and fair?

Old 02-22-2017, 09:17 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
We are for free will. Get government out of the economy and back to it's small defined roll like the Founders set up. The use of force to get what you want should never be tolerated.
And yes it is about personal responsibility, since it is relative to the discussion.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:23 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Yawn. I do, and I make decent money, but still, the $52k/year I make doesn't go far these days. The thing that baffles me is that the plutocrats have convinced the slightly better off than the working Poor's that they are one of them and get them to vote against their own interests.
Your purchasing power has gone downhill because of the inflation tax. The dollars you earn are buying less.

Quote:
For example, someone who makes say $100k/year really isn't at that much higher of a level as someone who makes $20k/yr compared to a multimillionaire, but because that $100k/yr earner doesn't want to be associated with the working poor (who they are closer to than to being wealthy) they turn into your average false consciousness Republican voter
The average false consciousness??? lol what in the world does that mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies