Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:44 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,909,844 times

Advertisements

And I do mean ALL....every current issue folds into this one question:

Globalism, or Americanism??
It is THE question for our age.

Trump knew this instinctively.
The Clintons didn't call their foundation "The Clinton American Foundation".
(But don't be fooled: the question is MUCH bigger than Trump, Clinton or any other person).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 08:49 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times
I watched this yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szt7f5NmE9E

It is a bit "leftist", but does explain the problem. What does the future hold?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:14 PM

I have never known what "Ted" talks are, and something tells me that the time to find out has not yet arrived.........lol

Old 02-23-2017, 10:19 PM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Technology Entertainment and Design.

Some of the discussions are (or were) fascinating. A lot of breakthrough technologies discussed, solutions to real world issues. I generally tune out of the entertainment elements, but for the most part it is a very cool program.

Certainly more illuminating than listening to political hacks on A.M. radio in my opinion.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:30 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,953,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I have never known what "Ted" talks are, and something tells me that the time to find out has not yet arrived.........lol
The TED talks are a contest where liberals try to out pretentious one another. The competition is fierce.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:39 PM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The TED talks are a contest where liberals try to out pretentious one another. The competition is fierce.
https://www.ted.com/about/our-organi...king-ted-myths

Quote:
Is TED elitist?
In one sense, yes — we curate our speaker list and our TED Talks lineup very carefully. And we "curate" our audience at conferences to make sure we have a balanced, diverse group that can support our mission of bringing great ideas to the world for free.

But we also work hard not to be elitist in ways that matter. We actively seek out ideas from all over the world in multiple languages. We work to diversify both our lineup and our attendee roster, devoting time and budget to seeking out and supporting attendees who couldn't afford to come on their own, but who'll be great contributors. We also devote significant time and money to bringing TED Talks to people who lack access to broadband or have other accessibility issues. We hope the proof of the pudding is that our talks are available for free to anyone in the world.
Actually it's not liberal. But I can see how people that are opposed to listening to others talk about new technologies, ideas or other advances could make it out to be that way.

No offense but the more conservative one is, the less likely you are willing to think 'outside your box'. Kinda a proven trait.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:17 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
And I do mean ALL....every current issue folds into this one question:

Globalism, or Americanism??
It is THE question for our age.

Trump knew this instinctively.
The Clintons didn't call their foundation "The Clinton American Foundation".
(But don't be fooled: the question is MUCH bigger than Trump, Clinton or any other person).
I don't understand really. We invented globalism. Now we hate it? The bigger question is why are they mutually exclusive? Can't we have a well regulated global market that helps America and others too? It is possible to have a win win if done right.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

This is exactly what my "pretense meter" said the one time I listened for five minutes.
I knew it was pointless and useless.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:52 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Actually it's not liberal. But I can see how people that are opposed to listening to others talk about new technologies, ideas or other advances could make it out to be that way. ...
How is it that liberal came to mean science, ideas, technology... and conservative came to mean creationism, believing misinformation, going back to a simpler time?

Old 02-24-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I don't understand really. We invented globalism. Now we hate it? The bigger question is why are they mutually exclusive? Can't we have a well regulated global market that helps America and others too? It is possible to have a win win if done right.

As to your last question, of course that is possible. BUT the question entirely evades the massive philosophical/ideological battle which is raging (in cold, hard real-world time). They are "mutually exclusive" because of the very nature of the debate.
There are one-worlders, who don't believe in Americanism. And there are Americanistas, who don't believe in one-worldism. They are two totally different ways of viewing things.
The one-worlders are fine with America existing as a small-s state. Kind of like Arkansas or Nevada is to America. But as an independent, robust nation?? No to that. The modern version of globalism sees an independent State called America as evil and an impossibility. Modern America-firsters (properly) see globalism as an existential threat to something they hold dear.
(I didn't say that all Americans hate globalism. Only some of us do.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies