Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 03:11 PM

26,009 posts, read 22,198,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Ok... and? Does this lead to a bigger discussion?

I've always maintained that it may very well be a mental disorder. My issue with that is that this is usually said as an insult. A lot of people have mental disorders and we should want to help them live comfortable and support that. If you have an issue with that, it's because you're an *******. Simple.

What the **** are you even talking about?
Yes, a lot of people have mental disorders, but most don't impose on society in general to change the ways things are done to support their mental disorder.

Should a transgender with a penis be in the women's shower because he/she, whatever, feels comfortable there? That is where the breakdown is happening. The twenty real women in the locker room are made uncomfortable to support the delusions of the transgender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It has nothing to do with "treating with disdain", it has everything to do with getting people help. By REFUSING to acknowledge that this is a mental disorder, the left has allowed these people to live in pain their entire lives. The video above shows the man who decided he was a 6 year old girl talking about how he "can't stop" being a transgender, it's who he is.

Yes, schizophrenics are who they are and can't stop their mental disorder, either. Do we leave them to live in anguish their entire lives? Or do we stop this BS! and help them with their mental disorder so that they can maybe find some kind of peace?

Stop enabling and start helping.
The mental health community does do a disservice to the transgender community, as well as, others when implying the help is not needed for transgenders to deal with their "reality".

It is my understanding that the since the mental health community doesn't feel they "change" them, that they just wrote them off. And, it is not just feeling that they are the opposite sex of what they are, but things like depression, anxiety and possibility of suicide that should be addressed by mental health professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
What charade? And what are forced to go along with?

I don't have a problem treating anyone however they to be treated and I wouldn't really want to know the reasons why anyhow. That would be TMI. No skin off my back if they want to be a woman or a man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
You can't force people into treatment for an issue that doesn't hurt other people. To suggest that all transgenders are as unhappy as you think they are is ridiculous and is based on nothing but your opinion. Anecdotal examples of some person or another should not be what you base that opinion on.

Live and let live. It's the American way. Even (and probably especially) if they want to live different than you!!!
At the point a man in high heels, fake hair and bust line follows the teen girl into the women's locker room and disrobes in front of several women, that person is hurting someone else. When one follows me in, I am supposed to make them feel "comfortable", that will be the last thing in the world that I will think of doing or probably do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
They mean that for example they should still get to call Caitlyn Jenner Bruce and still say he instead of she 😒 Jerks
Old Bruce has a penis which means he is a male. High school biology! That is not a part of my gender!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Maybe, maybe not, but who cares? So are, for example, autism and ADHD. As a shrink, loved one, educator, public health official, etc., you don't tell an autistic person to stop being autistic, you help them adapt to their environment and help adapt their environment to their needs, if they want your help.

What often determines whether something is a "disorder" is how maladaptive it is in a given society or situation, not something inherent to the condition. ADHD, for example, could be an asset for a hunter-gatherer, but it's a disorder for a cubicle drone.

Additionally, what determines how severe a "disorder" is also often dependent on how well equipped society is deal with it. Probably the most classic and understandable example is extreme myopia. In a society without readily available optometry, it's crippling. In a society where anyone can get glasses, it's a minor inconvenience. We don't treat people like moral failures for not squinting hard enough or say "ewww" when someone gets lasik.
Autism and ADHD are not mental health disorders, they are developmental disorders. There is a BIG difference between the two. Comparing "apples to oranges" to make your point fails.

Needing glasses is not a mental disorder, it is a physical impairment. Again, a big difference.

Male can never be a biological female. A female can never be a biological male. Do they not teach biology in high school anymore as a mandatory course for graduation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Holy stretch Bateman!

A mental illness is a disability, and schools have to meet the needs of the students protected under IDEA. Accommodations will vary from child to child and are based on their doctors recommendations. Are there reasonable accommodations that schools can make that will make other parents uncomfortable? Absolutely. So all I am doing is warning that you be careful before you rush to label trans kids as disabled.
This is what IDEA covers: https://www.understood.org/en/school...red-under-idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
They do get help. Anyone that does transition gets a tremendous amount of psychological help and evaluation. It is not a decision made lightly.
But, not all of them choose to get the surgery to change their outward male or female traits, many remain "intact". Imagine feeling like a woman IF one has a penis. Jenner still has a penis, males have a penis. Feeling like is not being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Aren't there legitimate physical cases of wrong sex assignment? Are those cases excluded? Sorry, I didn't read the link.
I believe that only happens in the case of hermaphrodites where there are both male and female sexual organs present. This is biological and not about feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
the problem is not with transgenders but rather, the inability to legislate federal policies, which affects everyone, surrounding an area that hasn't been fully understood. More so, an area in which many scholars disagree on.
And, that is what we are seeing in the news. Make the rest of the population bow down to 0.03% of the population to make them "comfortable" with their delusion. And, it is a delusion, it is a feeling that is not the reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I agree with the bolded. But, when you want to live way outside the way the majority lives, at a certain point you have to sometimes conform to the majority rather than asking them to conform to what you want.

Its ridiculous for every tiny segment of the population that lives differently to expect society should make concessions for their convenience.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:13 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,132,950 times
Then he can take up with the APA.. until then its been refuted and corrected officially in the DSM.

Last edited by usayit; 02-25-2017 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 03:14 PM

26,576 posts, read 15,140,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't know if TG is necessarily a mental disorder because there is controversy surrounding that possibility. But I do think people who believe in a silent invisible entity who controls everything that happens in the world every minute of every day and sends us to heaven or hell based on its version of a Santa Claus checklist IS a mental disorder The individuals who believe in this religion thing have no right to be judging others as mentally ill, IMO.
Just be careful, a liberal may accuse you of being a cultural bigot!

Old 02-25-2017, 03:20 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,132,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Should a transgender with a penis be in the women's shower because he/she, whatever, feels comfortable there?
Interesting scenario bias....

Then Buck Angel should be allowed in women's shows as well... I hope you ok with that. If you don't know who Buck Angel is.... look him up... He is about as masculine (and built) as they get. He would blend right in with a group of hard core bikers. Still though.. Birth certificate and hardware says female so he must use women's showers... right?

Oh and before you say this is corner case.. it isn't. If you dig you will find many discussions regarding how to accommodate transgendered athletes in sports. One student just won Regionals Female wrestling H.S. level... and people claiming foul because this student is better suited towards wrestling males because of strength and size..... He (transgendered female->male) said he wanted to compete with the males H.S. wrestling team but his birth certificate prevented it.

A lot of arguments are framed around binary female/male thought... in reality it is a lot of grey.

Last edited by usayit; 02-25-2017 at 03:29 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 03:22 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,879,849 times
Quote:
Old Bruce has a penis which means he is a male. High school biology! That is not a part of my gender!!!
Gender and biological sex aren't the same thing, which is also high school level biology.

Quote:
Autism and ADHD are not mental health disorders, they are developmental disorders. There is a BIG difference between the two. Comparing "apples to oranges" to make your point fails.

Needing glasses is not a mental disorder, it is a physical impairment. Again, a big difference.
Autism and ADD/ADHD are both listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Also, the brain is an organ; physical issues and mental issues are not separate categories.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:23 PM

27,704 posts, read 16,194,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Did I not talk about quality of life? Or suicide rates?

I ask bigger questions than you. I'm not interested in debating who should be allowed on a wresting team.
What do you suggest? Allow the .1% to shower with your kids? Quality of life? How? Give some bigger answers

Old 02-25-2017, 03:23 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,231,091 times
Quote:
Yes, a lot of people have mental disorders, but most don't impose on society in general to change the ways things are done to support their mental disorder.

Should a transgender with a penis be in the women's shower because he/she, whatever, feels comfortable there? That is where the breakdown is happening. The twenty real women in the locker room are made uncomfortable to support the delusions of the transgender.
Actually, there are employment discrimination laws that protect people with mental illnesses. That does in fact impose. Combat veterans suffering with PTSD, a mental illness, seem to want healthcare for some reason... guess who pays for that? The United States government, using taxes collected from you and other Americans. Large sums of efforts were put in place in adjusting how people view mental illness. So what you're saying is not true. And if you think it is, well... it's ironic that you throw the world delusional around so loosely.

As for showers, I don't believe that to be the height of a political issue. If you want my solution, a post-ops trans person should absolutely have every right to use a public shower. Pre-op is a different story and the standards for that vary from thing to thing. If it's just a restroom, who gives a ****? A shower is more complicated. I'll also say to you what I said to the OP; you're focusing in on a very specific aspect of the issue, likely because it requires minimal actual critical thought to talk on this.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
What do you suggest? Allow the .1% to shower with your kids?
You're still trapped on that superficial issue. How often does what you're referring to even happen? When are kids showing in public? Rarely. I don't know how it works everywhere, but there weren't even showers in lorckerrooms until I was in middle school, and no one ever really used them. And if they did, when would adults have access to them? You're talking about a problem that's less common that commonality of a person even being trans, yet you throw out the small number like it's so significant.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:26 PM

22,675 posts, read 24,654,149 times
This mental-disorder, transgenderism, is harming a lot of people.

The trendiness and encouragement is making it easier for some to buy into this nonsense.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
This mental-disorder, transgenderism, is harming a lot of people.

The trendiness and encouragement is making it easier for some to buy into this nonsense.
What's the nonsense that people are buying? You say it's a mental disorder, so that means it exists but your language after suggests it's just made up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies