Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 02:05 PM

7,448 posts, read 2,850,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Pretty soon you press a button like a vending machine at McD's and out pops your order. I heard the other day there are robots that will cook a full meal....Bye bye $15 an hour!
To be fair, they will probably happily pay the 2 or so humans left in a chain location $15 an hour to manage stock, setup the robots at the beginning of each day, make cash deposits, sweep and keep the store clean etc.

Cashier jobs will be first to go because they are basically glorified vending machine interfaces anyway - you tell a person what you want, they beep boop on a "vending machine" console (and get it wrong half the time, SIRI would probably be more accurate already), order goes to the back and gets cooked... The only thing stopping them from phasing out cashiers all together at this point is a more user friendly consumer facing interface. Self payment kiosks have been done and dusted by super markets and the like for going on a decade or more already so that isnt an issue.

Cooking will be next, more complex task with more variables and more "intuitive" decisions to make.

By the time they start replacing management staff we will have passed a threshold where not just fast food jobs are being replaced, but many high skill jobs in professional fields as well. That is probably at least 2 or 3 decades away though, maybe more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 02:13 PM

79,909 posts, read 44,416,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Because Trump went about it through nationalism and xenophobia despite America being the number one country continually for direct foreign investment and despite America having it's own tariffs and subsidies to protect our industries.

Obama was populist too, but it was in the opposite direction of some nonsense about "America first".
Obama didn't actually try.

Quote:
Somewhat surprised that Congress didn't match the Fed's monetary policy (ZIRP and QE) with the appropriate fiscal policy (spending on infrastructure and job training). I had hope they would do what's best for the country and essentially a econ 101 solution.

Otherwise, I thought the bailouts were appropriate given the circumstances.
After the initial money that was gave to Obama that went to campaign donors no one trusted him with any more.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:15 PM

1,896 posts, read 816,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Pretty soon you press a button like a vending machine at McD's and out pops your order. I heard the other day there are robots that will cook a full meal....Bye bye $15 an hour!
And hello more welfare spending! The "producers" are more than happy to get the taxpayers to pay for their employees' groceries and insurance.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Obama didn't actually try.
Sure he did, what makes you think he didn't try?

Quote:
After the initial money that was gave to Obama that went to campaign donors no one trusted him with any more.
What are you talking about? Are you talking about the how the bailouts were paid back with interest by the still solvent companies? Did I incorrectly assume you weren't a tin foil hat wearing partisan?

Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,138,749 times
It's going to happen if the minimum wage is $8 or $15 per hour. Look at places like the post office. Think about all the people who used to be employed sorting mail. Almost all those jobs are gone. Or bookkeeping. Hundreds of people entering numbers in ledgers. And manufacturing is now done by robots. Banks full of employees, not ATM machines.

But people still have to make a living. And people should be more important than machines. I think MW should be enough for an efficiency apartment, utilities, food, health insurance and a bus pass. A basic living. Nothing extravagant.

If a company can't pay a living wage, they need to go out of business.

Me personally, I don't use kiosks or self checkout. People need jobs more than we need more machines. I expect that the day will come when I am forced to but not yet. After all they don't pay me a cashier's salary to do the work myself!

Old 03-01-2017, 02:34 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,824,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
You must have not read a thing I posted. Yes they are here and coming. Congress can provide incentives/disincentives to hiring people over robots. The opposite is mandating $15/minimum wage which thrusts this into hyper drive.

To think we're all going to be chilling on the beach sipping margaritas in our little social dystopia while the robots do all the work big brother floats the tab is not only idealistic but it is dangerous.

This is the model; however, of many in the liberal thought paradigm.

What we learn from history is that we do not learn from it. The vast majority of the populace has their heads in the clouds. Based upon your response, you seem to be no different.
Regardless whether it creates an incentive or not. The problem is people need money to survive. That's priority #1 regardless of what happens.

Until you remove this need of money to survive, there's no option.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Sure he did, what makes you think he didn't try?
The fact that he didn't.

Quote:
What are you talking about? Are you talking about the how the bailouts were paid back with interest by the still solvent companies? Did I incorrectly assume you weren't a tin foil hat wearing partisan?
They were never paid back. (note, not a right wing partisan site)

Banks Repaid Fed Bailout With Other Fed Money: Government Report | The Huffington Post

Banks Repaid Fed Bailout With Other Fed Money: Government Report

Old 03-01-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The fact that he didn't.
Facts require proof. I remember the worst modern financial crisis occurring back in 2008, do you? Maybe you are just too spoiled to realize where we were just over 8 years ago.

Quote:
They were never paid back. (note, not a right wing partisan site)

Banks Repaid Fed Bailout With Other Fed Money: Government Report | The Huffington Post

Banks Repaid Fed Bailout With Other Fed Money: Government Report
They were actually.

Your own link says half did:

Quote:
But 48 percent of the banks that have repaid the CPP used money they’d gotten from other federal programs, according to the GAO report. Those programs include the Community Development Capital Initiative — another TARP program — and the Small Business Lending Fund, a program designed to encourage lending to small businesses. Both of those programs have more favorable borrowing terms for the banks than the original CPP.
So half the banks used money ear-marked for something else. Oh well. Better than an actual modern- day bank run on a global scale.

So is your argument that we should have never bailed out the banks or auto industry? I was talking about monetary and fiscal policy here..... what happened?

Old 03-01-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Facts require proof. I remember the worst modern financial crisis occurring back in 2008, do you? Maybe you are just too spoiled to realize where we were just over 8 years ago.
I can't prove something that never happened.

Quote:
They were actually.

Your own link says half did:
You said it was paid back. Are you now agreeing it wasn't?

Quote:
So half the banks used money ear-marked for something else. Oh well. Better than an actual modern- day bank run on a global scale.

So is your argument that we should have never bailed out the banks or auto industry? I was talking about monetary and fiscal policy here..... what happened?
Yes, we should not have bailed them out. GM and Chrysler already had a way to restructure. We should have let the chips fall where they may with the banks. Vacuums fill. If one bank fails another steps in.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:23 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,569,856 times
Of course they can't handle wage increases, people are buying their food less and less because there are higher quality options at comparable prices out there. $7-$9 for a fast food meal that isn't off the "value" menu is absurd.

Their model is not compatible with employing people. People better off not buying their product as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies