Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 07:05 PM

52,387 posts, read 52,861,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Let's just be clear -- Wendy's would automate even without rising wage costs.....shaking my head. That's what businesses do -- they work at become more efficient.....all the time...with or without rising production costs.
I posted this way way up thread. Automation is going to happen on some level through a range of industries. It's clearly happened in the past and will continue to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 08:24 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,562,978 times
They're even automating in China. CHINA!

The best thing we can do as a society is reform k-12 education AKA "FREE" education that better prepares Americans to be more self sufficient and learning to prosper in the new economy. The education system was, and as far as I know, still is preparing children for an economy that does not exist. It just doesn't pay to be a good little worker for most people like it may have in the "old days".

Old 03-01-2017, 08:39 PM

34,136 posts, read 17,199,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Of course they can't handle wage increases, people are buying their food less and less because there are higher quality options at comparable prices out there. $7-$9 for a fast food meal that isn't off the "value" menu is absurd.

Their model is not compatible with employing people. People better off not buying their product as well.

Agreed. For fast food to survive, the ratio of cost a casual dining vs fast food for the equivalent meal needs to be, as it was 20 years ago in my area, must be at least 3-1. It is nowhere near that. I can get the same burger and fries made fresh as I want it, with tip, for under 2x mcd's prices at most casual dining with service restaurants.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:47 PM

50,491 posts, read 47,270,331 times
No min wage worker spitting in your food. I like it.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 PM

3,619 posts, read 3,895,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Agreed. For fast food to survive, the ratio of cost a casual dining vs fast food for the equivalent meal needs to be, as it was 20 years ago in my area, must be at least 3-1. It is nowhere near that. I can get the same burger and fries made fresh as I want it, with tip, for under 2x mcd's prices at most casual dining with service restaurants.
McDouble* is between $1 and $2 dollars depending on location, fast-casual is going to run you $5-$8 after tip & tax. Quality is a lot different but the ratio is still 3x+. Sure fries + burger + drink at a fast food place is going to be more than 1/2 just a burger at a casual dining place, but that's not an apples-to-apples -- or dare I say, burgers-to-burgers -- comparison.

Great if we automate this, it's unpleasant work that doesn't build skills. Incentivizing productivity improvements is one of the positive results of a minimum wage increase.

*I have no clue why people buy Big Macs. Very overpriced for what it is, where it is. For those your observation is dead on.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:36 PM

42,876 posts, read 26,418,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Easily.. there's a fantastic dine in sandwich place near my house, an awesome burger (must be 5-6 ounces) with fixin's and fresh home cooked fries is $8.99 add a pint of ice cold Anderson Valley Stout for $4.75. If I get hungry for a burger it's real hard for me to convince myself that McDonalds or Burger King is preferable to that. *darn it now I'm going to go to bed thinking about that stout.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:53 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,625,858 times
I hate Wendy's.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:59 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,805,691 times
I get the egg Mcmuffin at McDonalds, but I think it's silly to go here for healthy food. I think they better layofff the healthy part and focus on the cheap and fast.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:11 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,425,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I get the egg Mcmuffin at McDonalds, but I think it's silly to go here for healthy food. I think they better layofff the healthy part and focus on the cheap and fast.
I'd say my opinion of mcdonalds is lower then yours. Those monsters got rid of my favorite breakfast burrito of all time. They are dead to me.

As for the original topic. Folks, when Elon Musk talks about his concerns in the future, you know what it is? That we will have to have a universal basic income. He (like me) believes its inevitable. His concern isn't paying for it.....its how people will deal with not having to work.

And the automation thats coming is nothing like what most of you think. The work on AI is advancing rapidly, this results in something FAR more capable then what you folks are expecting. You are quibbling about the leading edge-cashiers being replaced. Something we could do years ago.

Look towards people like doctors, oncologists at first. Later? car mechanics, teachers, etc etc. I work as a SDET, (software developer in test), which means I can both develop the software, and test others software. 20-30 years from now I will not work in this field. Automation will have taken over. Know who will probably be employed the last? Politicians, and judges.

Trump is most likely going to be president when the massive job loss begins. I doubt he will handle it well.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:31 AM

34,136 posts, read 17,199,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
McDouble* is between $1 and $2 dollars depending on location, fast-casual is going to run you $5-$8 after tip & tax. Quality is a lot different but the ratio is still 3x+. Sure fries + burger + drink at a fast food place is going to be more than 1/2 just a burger at a casual dining place, but that's not an apples-to-apples -- or dare I say, burgers-to-burgers -- comparison.

Great if we automate this, it's unpleasant work that doesn't build skills. Incentivizing productivity improvements is one of the positive results of a minimum wage increase.

*I have no clue why people buy Big Macs. Very overpriced for what it is, where it is. For those your observation is dead on.

Their Double Quarter meals run $8-$9, which can be had with tip under $20 at say, Chilis. Chilis includes fries in hat pricing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies