Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 12:30 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,234,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
No sympathy at all. You ever been in a bar fight? You walk up to someone a foot taller and 70 pounds heavier and slap him in the face, do you blame him for the fact that he broke your jaw?
Had they not had a gun, and walked up talking their crap, they probably would have gotten beat up. And in that case, I would have had no sympathy for them.

I have no doubt that they needed to be taught a lesson. All I'm saying, is that 28 years is excessive.

They were out being dumb. I've seen it a thousand times.

I don't think they had any intention of hurting anyone. They were just running their mouths because they were mad.

Remove the gun from the situation, there wouldn't have been a situation. But at the same time, they had no actual intention of using the gun. They just wanted to be tough guys, and the gun was convenient.

But seriously, 28 years? Come on now.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:39 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,252,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/nbc4i.com...ate-flags/amp/

I can only imagine what these scumbags were thinking as they terrorized party-goers (mostly kids) with a shotgun:

"Hooray, Trump won! We can totally get away with this stuff now!"

Have fun in prison, Deplorables.
Sad when Liberals are left to celebrate only when some illegal immigrant fool (Jose Ismael Torres) said mean things at a birthday party and now is going to be on the taxpayer dole for many years.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:39 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,652,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Had they not had a gun, and walked up talking their crap, they probably would have gotten beat up. And in that case, I would have had no sympathy for them.

I have no doubt that they needed to be taught a lesson. All I'm saying, is that 28 years is excessive.

They were out being dumb. I've seen it a thousand times.

I don't think they had any intention of hurting anyone. They were just running their mouths because they were mad.

Remove the gun from the situation, there wouldn't have been a situation. But at the same time, they had no actual intention of using the gun. They just wanted to be tough guys, and the gun was convenient.

But seriously, 28 years? Come on now.
I've seen it a thousand times too, and to be honest, done some pretty stupid **** too. But the fact is, you can't just say, "well if there HADN'T been a gun, or if they hadn't PULLED the gun," or whatever - because there WAS a gun, and they DID pull it. Game over. That's it, man. After that, there's really nothing they can say that's going to reset the clock. Their last chance was to walk away before they whipped out the shotgun, and once they passed up that chance, there was only one way this was all going to turn out.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:56 AM

38,650 posts, read 26,444,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
....with a shotgun. at 8 yr olds.

I got the shot gun + threats = prison part, but I am a little confused by the Judge's reference to confederate flags and racial slurs.

While distasteful, flying confederate flags and speaking words commonly used by rappers are not criminal acts.

If there was an issue proving motive, I would think just being an idiot (as seems to be the case) would suffice.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:58 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,441,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Sad when Liberals are left to celebrate only when some illegal immigrant fool (Jose Ismael Torres) said mean things at a birthday party and now is going to be on the taxpayer dole for many years.

Torres is a confederate-flag waving right-wing POS, and he committed assault with a deadly weapon. He did far more than utter a few mean words.

One aspect of your garbage post is correct: the celebratory mood I'm in. Two Deplorables down, 63 million to go.

Quote:
While distasteful, flying confederate flags and speaking words commonly used by rappers are not criminal acts .
It's proof they committed a hate crime, which possibly led to the stiff sentences.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:01 AM

710 posts, read 581,643 times
Quote:
https://www.google.com/amp/nbc4i.com...ate-flags/amp/

I can only imagine what these scumbags were thinking as they terrorized party-goers (mostly kids) with a shotgun:

"Hooray, Trump won! We can totally get away with this stuff now!"

Have fun in prison, Deplorables.
This happened in July 2015 and had nothing to do with Trump. Did you not see that in the article?

Old 02-28-2017, 01:13 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,339,990 times
Quote:
Torres is a confederate-flag waving right-wing POS, and he committed assault with a deadly weapon. He did far more than utter a few mean words.

One aspect of your garbage post is correct: the celebratory mood I'm in. Two Deplorables down, 63 million to go.
Thats not a good posting name, Raymond Chandler is one of my favorite crime writers. Guys like Chandler or a living writer like James Ellroy were and are not the typical LA- Hollywood liberal rich pampered and bourgeoisie leftists

Old 02-28-2017, 01:15 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,234,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I've seen it a thousand times too, and to be honest, done some pretty stupid **** too. But the fact is, you can't just say, "well if there HADN'T been a gun, or if they hadn't PULLED the gun," or whatever - because there WAS a gun, and they DID pull it. Game over. That's it, man. After that, there's really nothing they can say that's going to reset the clock. Their last chance was to walk away before they whipped out the shotgun, and once they passed up that chance, there was only one way this was all going to turn out.
This isn't about whether they were being stupid, or whether they committed a crime. Everyone here recognizes that what they did was stupid, and that there should be consequences.

What I'm saying is, based on the circumstances, and based on their disposition, the punishment by no means seems to fit the crime. And that seems to be the feeling among most of the posters in this thread.

Please watch this video, maybe it'll soften your rather cold heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMmSdxZpseY

Old 02-28-2017, 01:56 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,807,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
This isn't about whether they were being stupid, or whether they committed a crime. Everyone here recognizes that what they did was stupid, and that there should be consequences.

What I'm saying is, based on the circumstances, and based on their disposition, the punishment by no means seems to fit the crime. And that seems to be the feeling among most of the posters in this thread.
I suspect the sentence will be reduced following a successful appeal (if it hasn't been already.)

But I have to say that I am finding satisfaction in this verdict. Georgia is a tough-on-crime state, and I have no doubt that the defendants are all for that. It apparently never occurred to them that they were not exempt from being treated toughly.

Here's a quote from a more detailed story -

"Assistant District Attorney David Emadi detailed how the group had gone on a drunken, two-county rampage in pick-up trucks laden with Confederate battle flags through Paulding and Douglas counties on July 24 - 25, 2015.
Emadi said the group threatened African-American motorists, yelled at them and walked up to one of their cars with a gun. They also threatened African-American shoppers at a Paulding County Walmart and at a convenience store.
"Many good people in Paulding County saw you for what you are," McClain said before he handed down the sentence. "Everywhere you went 911 call centers were flooded with calls."

http://www.yourgeorgiacountry.com/ne...t6dAcMLfVxraL/

It wasn't just the birthday party - these folks were on a rampage.

Last edited by jacqueg; 02-28-2017 at 02:05 AM..

Old 02-28-2017, 03:24 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,453,881 times
The sentence is ridiculous.

They'll appeal and be given ten hours of community service.

I would have acquitted them.

Interesting that we have Latino "red necks" now (Jose Torres).

Maybe he's doing a job American whites "won't do" anymore.

I wonder if he's an illegal.

Last edited by dechatelet; 02-28-2017 at 03:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies