Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 01:21 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
The court of law disagreed with you. Zimmerman was found NOT GUILTY. Do I think Zimmerman is a wannabe cop and has huge issues, yes, but if someone is bashing my head against the ground and I can't reverse what is happening, I am doing anything possible to extract myself from the situation. This is not about what happened before to get to this point. Nobody actually knows that except TM and Zimmerman.
Yes, it disagreed because FL's self-defense laws are different with Stand Your Ground. Stand Your Ground is literally the opposite of "if you have the opportunity, flee, and don't use deadly force." It's why I have been saying "in most or many states" and referring the common law. FL has created an interesting situation with SYG, and it's easy for guys like Zimmerman to do exactly what he did, how he did it, and get away with it, whatever his true intent was. Someone is killed, with no witnesses around or no credible witnesses, all one has to do is claim self-defense. Any evidence of an actual fight is even more helpful for their case. I personally am not comfortable with this, but that's just me. And I'm glad my state doesn't allow it.

The jury in reality had no evidence to convict, not even of a lesser included offense like manslaughter, apparently. Nothing could refute Zimmerman's story because nothing existed to refute it. Had Trayvon lived and only been injured, the jury would have had to decide between their two conflicting stories (juries are fact finders), and he may have been convicted of aggravated assault or attempted murder or whatever the charge would have been. But that's not how it went down.

It wouldn't have had to get to the "bashing the head against the ground" point if Zimmerman had stayed in the car and waited for the cops. For all we know, Martin was on the defensive because he had noticed Zimmerman following him (and, according to court testimony, he did notice Zimmerman following him). In reality we don't know the true story. Anyone who would blindly trust Zimmerman's account is naive. He could be telling the truth, but he also very well may not be, because he had incentive to not in his situation.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:22 PM

66 posts, read 39,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Because the court is always right?
The court isn't always right. But I'll trust a judge and jury that looked closely at the case over the court of public opinion any day - a public that has been misled by the media nonetheless.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
There wasn't any evidence to even charge him with manslaughter you don't get to roll with some sort of middle ground just because it sounds better on paper than no charges at all. I think he did something to instigate it but it can't be proven since Martin clearly did attack him. It's like someone that wants to start a fight and eggs on a drunk on purpose or something.
LOL Well they charged with second degree murder. If there was enough evidence to get to a jury on 2nd degree murder (which there was, because it did), there sure as hell was enough for the lesser offense of manslaughter.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:29 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
I've always understood that neighborhood watch people aren't supposed to carry firearms. Zimmerman shouldn't have been packin' in the first place if he was a member of a legit neighborhood watch association. And if he hadn't been packin' the odds are about 100-1 that he'd have never gotten out of his car.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:30 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Because the court is always right?
Absolutely not but you have to accept the ruling. I disagreed with the Casey Anthony case but I have to respect the laws decision. Whining over something that happened years ago is NOT going to change the ruling.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:32 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellow26 View Post
The court isn't always right. But I'll trust a judge and jury that looked closely at the case over the court of public opinion any day - a public that has been misled by the media nonetheless.
OJ? Every single person released from the Innocence Project? Every person released after decades of sitting on DNA evidence and that DNA finally gets tested? The Walter Scott case? Casey Anthony?

Now you're switching to blaming the media. I see you.

Why does the appeals process even exist? Since we should just trust what happens in a court room the first time.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:34 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I've always understood that neighborhood watch people aren't supposed to carry firearms. Zimmerman shouldn't have been packin' in the first place if he was a member of a legit neighborhood watch association. And if he hadn't been packon' the odds are about 100-1 that he'd have never gotten out of his car.

In the State of Florida, people are allowed to carry firearms if they are properly licensed. Zimmerman was indeed properly licensed.

I do not believe there is an exception if you are on neighborhood watch.

None the less, you might be right that it gave him a bit of courage he would not otherwise have had. We will never know.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:34 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Absolutely not but you have to accept the ruling. I disagreed with the Casey Anthony case but I have to respect the laws decision. Whining over something that happened years ago is NOT going to change the ruling.
The thing is yall tried to pull that little slick "well the court ruled on it so its fact" thing...as if that shut us down. LOL.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:35 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I've always understood that neighborhood watch people aren't supposed to carry firearms. Wrong assumption. Zimmerman shouldn't have been packin' in the first place if he was a member of a legit neighborhood watch association. And if he hadn't been packin' the odds are about 100-1 that he'd have never gotten out of his car.
. Has nothing to do with the case but any "Captain Obvious" person would agree with that. Still has nothing to do with the case.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
When there is a jury, it is not "the law's" decision. It is a jury's. The judge in rare cases has the power to overturn a jury verdict (and I don't mean on appeal, I mean the trial judge), if the evidence is so overwhelmingly against what the jury found that no reasonable person could find how they did, but this is rare. In reality, there are just many cases that suck, due to evidence or lack thereof. This one and that of Caylee Anthony are two examples. Some people really do just get away with it, and it sucks but the system isn't perfect and can never be.

I don't think Zimmerman intended to kill Travyon that night. I do think he was entirely stupid in his actions and he could have avoided what happened had he acted smartly and, like someone else said, would not have been so paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies