Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 03:28 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So? That only proves how inefficient it is. Most jobs, but only 4.5% of the power production in the USA.

Economics of that absolutely fails.
LOL. Because most of the new electricity generated in the US and globally is solar. You're about 10 years behind the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 03:28 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And protesters here were instrumental in halting the construction of a third reactor at Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant, nearly succeeded in stopping an expansion of a Dominion Resources LNG facility and did stop the construction of a solar facility.
Calvert Cliffs?

The 4 reactors I'm speaking of are in South Carolina & Georgia. They are under active construction.

I know someone involved in the GA plants.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I can understand wanting to return jobs to the coal mining areas but going back to coal is a terrible idea now that renewable energy is actually workable - my electricity is provided by 100% renewable energy and doesn't cost me any more than having it provided by fossil fuels (my electric company lets me choose)
Most of the power you are using is coming from fossil fuel generation, nuclear or other sources. Look at it this way, if this was a water supply and you have a giant water supply from a lake. You paying for renewable energy is like paying for a plastic bottle filled with water and dumping it into the lake.

More importantly that supply from your plastic bottled water is not dependable and the reliable supply from the lake is what makes it doable.

As far as the cost somewhere along the line someone else is paying for that with subsidies, mandates etc. For example these renewable energy plants generate renewable energy credits. Utilities are mandated by most states to provide X amount of renewable energy in the supply. When they can't meet those goals they will buy the credits, the cost of those credits are passed onto consumers with higher prices for other electric.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:30 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Yet solar is .6 % of electricity. That doesn't help your case. That just sad.
How so? Solar and wind are outpacing all sources domestically and globally. Sooner than later it will become a significant source for electricity.

I understand how ignorance causes one to dismiss things they don't understand. Being knowledgeable about opening doors to show clients is a bit more complex then electricity generations.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:30 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Nope.

Link clearly says that 37% is the source for Duke's generation. For the USA it's 50%.
Where are you getting the 50% number?

Old 03-01-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
LOL. Because most of the new electricity generated in the US and globally is solar. You're about 10 years behind the times.
How silly.

Solar is 0.6% of all power generated in the USA.

And it requires huge taxpayer subsidies to even be viable. Why? Because it takes huge amounts of fossil fuel to produce a solar cell. Currently more energy is required to produce a solar cell than it will ever produce in its lifetime. The only economically viable solar is thermal, and that requires a massive plant to work on an economic scale.

Get back to us when you learn a few facts about it.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
How so? Solar and wind are outpacing all sources domestically and globally. Sooner than later it will become a significant source for electricity..
Significant sources? LOL. They have been building solar sites for 50 years and all it produces is 0.5% of the USA power needs. Wind, less than 5%.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Where are you getting the 50% number?
Link posted above from Duke Energy.

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Calvert Cliffs?

The 4 reactors I'm speaking of are in South Carolina & Georgia. They are under active construction.

I know someone involved in the GA plants.
And the one I referenced, which was stopped, is in Maryland. Two aging reactors reaching the end of their lifespan were to be supplemented by a new one. It was halted during the initial planning phase, partially due to protests and legislation backed by the protesters which made construction almost impossible.

6,574 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Yet solar is .6 % of electricity. That doesn't help your case. That just sad.
People swallow too much propaganda & actually think solar is important. Solar is a boutique energy source & will be for generations to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies