Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 01:29 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
And that's EXACTLY what's going to happen! People won't go to the doctor because they won't be able to afford it. Utilities, housing and food or medical bills? My deductible is so high this year it might as well be for catastrophic only! I have a congenital heart defect I was born with. I am supposed to see a Cardiologist annually and get an Echo. I'm seriously thinking of skipping it this year because I can't afford my deductible. Now tell me how this all makes sense? It doesn't! Don't worry, I'll go as I have two kids I need to be here for. But it will be putting even more stress on our budget. Especially since we are still paying off medical bills from my husbands car accident 3 years ago!
I've waited two years to get my heel fixed. Instead of the prior $2000, under Obama it went to $6500. Then premiums trippled.
So expensive I can't use it so far.

Now if I were a welfare joke, I would have gotten free everything to fix this two years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 01:36 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Most of that is to recover lawsuit costs. The blind need to include tort reform.

I know a doctor who is 55. Pays $200,000 a year in liability insurance alone; then he has to pay his rent, and employee salaries before he makes a nickle.
Tort reform, bring the $200,000 for liability insurance down to maybe $15,000 a year.
Agree, there are a lot of costs that get baked in. Though for liability insurance, it's kind of the same issue... if a doctor can get sued for hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars and their insurance is supposed to cover them, what does the insurance company have to charge the doctor to make that coverage profitable? Not a question I can answer but for sure something in this scenario would need to shift in order for the rate to change.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:54 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Most of that is to recover lawsuit costs. The blind need to include tort reform.

I know a doctor who is 55. Pays $200,000 a year in liability insurance alone; then he has to pay his rent, and employee salaries before he makes a nickle.
Tort reform, bring the $200,000 for liability insurance down to maybe $15,000 a year.
Not all docs pay that sort of MP premium. Very high risk specialties and some quacks might. In many cases like OB and neurosurgery, hospitals subsidize the premiums.

That being said, as a doc I'd love to pay less. If I do $M damage to some patient, and they can only collect $250K, that has to be good for me!

Old 03-07-2017, 01:55 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Tax calculators show that someone making $50 000 in Sweden pays an effective income and payroll tax of 27% before deductions.
Why depend on tax calculators when you can look directly at the source?

Quote:
We can start with making sure people on $300 000 pay the same as they do in Sweden
Actually, you'd have to go MUCH lower than that. Like the Swedish taxing authority states, those with an income of $62,140 and above pay their top income tax rates (51%-56%).

• 31% (7% county and 24% municipality tax): from ~$2,690 – $62,140
  • 31% + 20%: from ~$62,140 – $88,180
  • 31% + 25%: above $88,180
När ska man betala statlig inkomstskatt och hur hög är den? | Skatteverket

Would you agree to those tax rates on those incomes AND implementing a Swedish-style 25% VAT tax in the US?

Old 03-07-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruthIsImportant View Post
"Who cares if less people are covered?"

I care. I guess someone cares!
You're free to donate to pay for someone else's health care. As is anyone else. So, where's the problem?

Old 03-07-2017, 02:03 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Can that not be predicted? Why procreate if you know the result might be offspring with extremely costly health problems, unless you can afford to pay for that, or for an insurance policy that will cover it?

The responsibility factor at issue, again.

What kind of fantasy land do you live in? Seriously, where do you people exist? Is this really the US of A? It took an Act of Congress to make it illegal for insurance companies to not discriminate for coverage based on genetics and even then, insurance companies made it impossible to afford or obtain coverage for someone born with certain congenital defects or genetic anomalies before ACA.

And secondly, your knowledge of science sucks. S-U-C-K-S. SUCKS. No, you can not predict all serious diseases related to genetics, because if you had any basic understanding of science you'd know that things like Rett Syndrome, a ton of different types of cancers, Coffin-Lowry Syndrome, Proteus Syndrome, and a whole host of other de novo mutation disorders exist. And even if you were able to detect a genetic anomaly from a fertilized egg so that you could attempt to destroy it so that you don't produce what you think is a sick individual you could be dead wrong, because predicting phenotype is no where near as easy as looking at a gene alone or from the genetics of the parents. Every single person, including your ignorant self, harbors mutations.

So tell me again, how exactly can you be 'responsible' if you end up getting an unpredictable disease that costs a lot of money and if insurance companies won't touch you with a 40 foot pole (ala early 00s and 90s)?

Old 03-07-2017, 02:05 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Cute. So I was supposed to save $500,000 by 23 years old? Or $1,500,000 by 25, if I had relapsed? What about my friend who needed dialysis and a kidney transplant at 20? Should she have saved a few easy hundred thousands of dollars a year in babysitting money?

I have made sacrifices - like not being able to buy food and medicine while working full time against doctor's orders while sick. Just because someone can't afford hundreds of thousands of dollars for medical care doesn't mean they don't plan, save, and sacrifice.

I save 25% of my income. It would take me roughly 30 years to save enough for JUST the 6 months of chemo, to say nothing of any other health issues related to cancer or just, you know, aging.

Interesting that you say "another" handout. I haven't taken a handout in my life. Earned a full tuition scholarship to one of the best colleges in the country, worked my tush off to not have to take out any student loans and graduate debt free, and worked harder than you have ever worked in your entire life while going through cancer. Maybe you should, I don't know, be a little grateful for the help you have obviously by your own words taken?

I don't believe for a second that you save 25% of your income. IF you did as you claim, first off it wouldn't be in savings. 2nd... IF what you claim was true, a mere $100 per month (FAR less then your claimed 25% of your earnings) would typically become $185K in 30 years. But income isn't static. You aren't hired at a minimum wage and stay there for life, so you'd have far more than $185K in 30 years.

You want to know why I call BS?

In the eighties the minimum wage was $3.35/hr. Based on 40 hrs/wk that's $6968/yr. 25% of that per month is $145/month that a person saving/investing (paying themselves) 25% could invest. Assuming you're a complete loser who never made more than minimum wage AND assuming the federal minimum wage never rose above $3.35/hr, you would have over $500K in retirement had you saved 25% of what you earned.

You are yet another liar who is trying to use common core (retarded) math to justify your attempts at THEFT.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:15 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
But you probably didn't get there overnight. It took time.

Bad luck doesn't wait until someone's financially secure to strike.

...and how exactly did this become MY problem? Exactly when did I become responsible for an other person's healthcare or I should be thrown in prison if I don't pay? How is this not THEFT?

Old 03-07-2017, 02:23 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
If I couldn't afford being treated, YES, I WOULD just suck it up. Furthermore, IF I get cancer, I would never let an oncologist treat me with chemo or any other toxin they use. I'd go to the Burzynski Clinic, and they don't take insurance.

How about YOU thinking before you post.
You think unproven cancer treatment is your best cancer option from the start?

When you awake from 2 weeks of intubation, multiple life and limb saving surgeries after your car accident, do you just stand up and walk out of the hospital? I hope you didn't suffer head trauma, and can think!

(lol)

Old 03-07-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
What kind of fantasy land do you live in? Seriously, where do you people exist?
In personal responsibility land. Why do we have to be responsible for ourselves AND everyone else? Set up charities. Let those who advocate lack of responsibility voluntarily fund the consequences of such. They can put their money where their mouths are.

Quote:
And secondly, your knowledge of science sucks. S-U-C-K-S. SUCKS. No, you can not predict all serious diseases related to genetics, because if you had any basic understanding of science you'd know that things like Rett Syndrome, a ton of different types of cancers, Coffin-Lowry Syndrome, Proteus Syndrome, and a whole host of other de novo mutation disorders exist.
Yes, mutations exist. But when one is a KNOWN carrier of a genetic disease, one should NOT be procreating unless they're prepared to bear the costs an afflicted offspring would incur.

And if you don't want to be stuck with the costs of an expensive random disease/injury, BUY CATASTROPHIC INSURANCE. No one owes you, or your minor offspring freebies, just like no one owes me free shelter, food, or clothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies