Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 02:26 PM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruthIsImportant View Post
I already do by paying for health insurance.
That's not enough. There are still millions who aren't covered. Pay up. Put your money where your mouth is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 02:27 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I agree with you. That benefit should be socialized if we the people elect to remain a humane and caring society. The benefit should come from deficit spending, not more taxes on others.

I WELCOME you being humane and caring... with your OWN money!

Stop insisting on being a THIEF of what others earn!

Old 03-07-2017, 02:29 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I don't believe for a second that you save 25% of your income. IF you did as you claim, first off it wouldn't be in savings. 2nd... IF what you claim was true, a mere $100 per month (FAR less then your claimed 25% of your earnings) would typically become $185K in 30 years. But income isn't static. You aren't hired at a minimum wage and stay there for life, so you'd have far more than $185K in 30 years.

You want to know why I call BS?

In the eighties the minimum wage was $3.35/hr. Based on 40 hrs/wk that's $6968/yr. 25% of that per month is $145/month that a person saving/investing (paying themselves) 25% could invest. Assuming you're a complete loser who never made more than minimum wage AND assuming the federal minimum wage never rose above $3.35/hr, you would have over $500K in retirement had you saved 25% of what you earned.

You are yet another liar who is trying to use common core (retarded) math to justify your attempts at THEFT.

I've been in remission for 5 1/2 years. 6 months of chemo was $500K. I'd guess the 5 1/2 years of follow up and related healthcare since is probably about $150K. I have never made anywhere close to minimum wage (didn't qualify for any form of assistance during chemo despite my insurance copays and medication costs being more than my entire year's take home salary) and while I hope my income continues on an upward trajectory, nothing in life is guaranteed. The 25% savings rate has only been manageable for the past 2 years since I worked my way up in my organization and finally paid off my cancer debt, as well as regaining the energy to pick up some side gigs as well as taking advantage of an employer paid-for master's degree.

I didn't have 30 years to let my investments grow. I haven't even been *alive* for 30 years. I had been in the post-college work force for less than 6 months. I was speaking purely of *paying back* what I would have owed had I been diagnosed 4 months earlier when I was uninsured due to minor preexisting conditions in the pre-ACA era - and that's assuming that interest wouldn't accrue and doesn't take into account the additional medical expenses from follow up and related care. And if I had been 30 years older when diagnosed, I got sick in the middle of the recession when everyone's investments took a huge hit. No guarantees.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-07-2017 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 03-07-2017, 02:36 PM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I've been in remission for 5 1/2 years. 6 months of chemo was $500K. I'd guess the 5 1/2 years of follow up and related healthcare since is probably about $150K. I have never made anywhere close to minimum wage (didn't qualify for any form of assistance during chemo despite my insurance copays and medication costs being more than my entire year's take home salary) and while I hope my income continues on an upward trajectory, nothing in life is guaranteed. The 25% savings rate has only been manageable for the past 2 years since I worked my way up in my organization and finally paid off my cancer debt, as well as regaining the energy to pick up some side gigs as well as taking advantage of an employer paid-for master's degree.

I didn't have 30 years to let my investments grow. I haven't even been *alive* for 30 years. I had been in the post-college work force for less than 6 months. I was speaking purely of *paying back* what I would have owed had I been diagnosed 4 months earlier when I was uninsured due to minor preexisting conditions in the pre-ACA era - and that's assuming that interest wouldn't accrue and doesn't take into account the additional medical expenses from follow up and related care.

I'm sorry that your reading comprehension seems so lacking.
Not everyone lives. Little kids and other innocent bystanders are killed in drive by shootings all the time in Chicago. Not their fault, and no one saves them. Not everyone can be saved no matter how emotional anyone gets about it. That's reality. Why are people so unwilling to accept the reality that people get sick and die. Every day. And that's a natural reality.

Look at what happens in nature when humans interfere with and therefore artificially inflate the population of a species. This happens frequently with deer. They become a nuisance by eating residential gardens and increasingly collide with motor vehicles on the roadways when their natural habitat can't support their population explosion.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:39 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
I WELCOME you being humane and caring... with your OWN money!

Stop insisting on being a THIEF of what others earn!
Read what I said again.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:42 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not everyone lives. Little kids and other innocent bystanders are killed in drive by shootings all the time in Chicago. Not their fault, and no one saves them. Not everyone can be saved no matter how emotional anyone gets about it. That's reality. Why are people so unwilling to accept the reality that people get sick and die. Every day. And that's a natural reality.

Look at what happens in nature when humans interfere with and therefore artificially inflate the population of a species. This happens frequently with deer. They become a nuisance by eating residential gardens and increasingly collide with motor vehicles on the roadways when their natural habitat can't support their population explosion.
So I should have just died in 2002? My wife in 2004, 2008, 2012, or on Jan 1 of this year? I like nature like the next guy, but your solution is just sick!

Old 03-07-2017, 02:43 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
Of course they don't. The bulk of elevated healthcare costs can be attributed to the VERY SAME reason education costs are skyrocketing. That reason is government interference with the free market.

Just like government created a never-ending pool of money for education, they also created on for healthcare via medicare and medicaid. This got much MUCH worse under the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) because now supposedly everyone has access to healthcare and doctors, hospitals, insurance companies and healthcare facilities in general are no longer force to compete. there is a huge pool of money that they can draw from. Furthermore, and even worse, medicare and medicaid set prices, so that is what is charged for medical services, again rather than competing in a free market.

You people, as well intentioned as you may believe you are, are too stupid to understand the "unseen" portion of your economically disastrous good intentions. Economists including Milton Friedman and many others have covered this idiocy numerous times, yet you are more concerned with "feelings" and with imposing your idea of charity upon others so you can feel better about being a useless person who doesn't provide actual charity yourself. You demand your charity be paid for by others. That is THEFT!
I don't "want" you to do anything - you already are paying for those people. You were before ACA, you are to some extend during ACA, and you probably will after ACA because the mandate is getting looser. Except somehow the smart people with money in the industry (like me, actually, since this is my line of work) have convinced you that you aren't eating peas just because they blended it into the food instead of serving it to you on the side. Whatevs, believe what you want.

Yep, it sucks, and I hate that darn Uninsured Joe too. That's why I originally commented on this thread. We should all care that he's uninsured, because we're all paying for him.

And, no, healthcare costs didn't rise because of government interference. But go ahead and blame the gov't instead of addressing the real issue... my company keeps making money on the sidelines while y'all are fighting your own interests.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:46 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
Ignorance IMO, and I've only been a doc for 40 years, and my wife a cancer patient for 12, is to try unproven medical treatments before conventional. When conventional fails, then you might try and do as you suggest. Cash payer and all.
Don't worry, it worked for Steve Jobs. He'll be fine.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:48 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

I didn't have 30 years to let my investments grow. I haven't even been *alive* for 30 years. I had been in the post-college work force for less than 6 months. I was speaking purely of *paying back* what I would have owed had I been diagnosed 4 months earlier when I was uninsured due to minor preexisting conditions in the pre-ACA era - and that's assuming that interest wouldn't accrue and doesn't take into account the additional medical expenses from follow up and related care. And if I had been 30 years older when diagnosed, I got sick in the middle of the recession when everyone's investments took a huge hit. No guarantees.

I'm sorry that your reading comprehension seems so lacking.
In other countries they have been making great progress with CRISPR technology. Big Pharma no likey because they can cure many things with a low cost gene therapy injection.
Getting so sophisticated that in a few years they may cure most cancers for real.

Write down CRISPR and look for articles in the UK and elsewhere about it. Mostly it is blocked here in the USA with approval laws, so many go after this technology elsewhere, and this is not joke science either.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:57 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Quote:
So I should have just died in 2002? My wife in 2004, 2008, 2012, or on Jan 1 of this year? I like nature like the next guy, but your solution is just sick!

No one is saying that. What is being said is everyone is entitled to the healthcare or the healthcare insurance they themselves can afford. They do NOT have a right to demand anyone else pay any part of it. To do so is THEFT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies