Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Take them down or leave them up?
Take them down. They're offensive. 133 36.14%
Leave them up. It's history. 235 63.86%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 07:13 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times

Advertisements

Too bad they didn't hang all southern traitors with nooses from a tree and all without a fair trial.

Oh wait, we only saved that for innocent black people. I mean who cares about mutiny and acts of sedition, right? They should have steam rolled the south even harder.

It's amazing how many defenders of 'tradition' there are around these parts. You're the same type of people that would demand statues of Goebbels, Himmler, Eichmann, and Hitler be put up the in the hometowns they're from because it is still 'rich history'.

They should also publicly burn all Confederate flags and put out the flames with a healthy bath of cow urine. Flying the flag of traitors should also be a federal crime.

Last edited by fibonacci; 05-13-2017 at 07:24 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 07:20 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I'm not completely clear why some folks in the South would want to commemorate a completely failed effort and those responsible for it, but then again I don't understand why some guys in their 40's still wear their high school letterman jackets. I guess if that's the only thing noteworthy accomplishment in their lives, so be it but an "L" tattooed on their foreheads would be just as effective.
Actually, I will settle it.

I live in the South. I live in the Atlanta area. I hate that there is such a commemoration of a failed secession effort based on keeping slavery. That said, I will mention this. There are many things that have come out of the South.

Coca-Cola
Home Depot
Alot of great writers: William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, Tennessee Williams, Richard Wright, John Kennedy Toole, Truman Capote, Harper Lee.

The thing is, some people who have such a worship for Confederates, I often sense a siege mentality, a wounded pride mentality.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:22 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
It was as much a part of our history as is any other statue, memento, or display. Why do we display a U-boat? Do you realize how many Americans died at the hands of U-boats early in the WWII?

Besides, Lee was US military before the southern states ceded. As I recall, he had a hard time pledging loyalty to his home state, but he did end up doing so. Without Lee's promptings, the end of and time right after the civil war could have been much worse and many more people could have lost their lives. A Missouri/Kansas style war could have gone on along the border states for many, many years. Thanks to Lee, that didn't happen to any great extent. So give some credit where it is due. He did a hell of a lot more to heal the wounds than Sherman did.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:23 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am okay with removal the names of Confederates. They need to go. However, Tulane needs to stay Tulane.
2 down, all those on the New Orleans list (minus Mr. Tulane) to go!

(I'm ok with a token Confederate or 2)

Old 05-13-2017, 07:24 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
2 down, all those on the New Orleans list (minus Mr. Tulane) to go!

(I'm ok with a token Confederate or 2)
This is how I see it. If said person wasn't related to the Confederacy in any way, they can stay. I've done my research on Claiborne, no sign of being a traitor.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:19 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I'm not completely clear why some folks in the South would want to commemorate a completely failed effort and those responsible for it, but then again I don't understand why some guys in their 40's still wear their high school letterman jackets. I guess if that's the only thing noteworthy accomplishment in their lives, so be it but an "L" tattooed on their foreheads would be just as effective.
You see it as a completely failed effort. They do not. Attempting to erase history is a double edged sword. You may not like it when your history is erased because those in power don't like it. I say things as a Northern New Englander who for the past 400 years has not had any ancestors from further South or further West than Northern NJ. The Confederacy is not my history, but it is history and all traces of it should not be erased by the modern day politically correct.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:33 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Exclamation My how rewritting history is working so well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
You see it as a completely failed effort. They do not. Attempting to erase history is a double edged sword. You may not like it when your history is erased because those in power don't like it. I say things as a Northern New Englander who for the past 400 years has not had any ancestors from further South or further West than Northern NJ. The Confederacy is not my history, but it is history and all traces of it should not be erased by the modern day politically correct.
You might as well remove benedict Arnold's statue and full honorary monuments in downtown Burlington, Vermont. Its a centerpiece in downtown. Benedict was a traitor and sold his entire country, not just half of it.

Forget that he saved America during the British invasion along lake Champlaine before turning against America. Sound familiar with Lee, Jackson (Stonewall), and others?

Liberals want to act like mediators of freedom but then liberals shout down invited speakers at graduations. Liberals claim free will but try forcing bakeries to bake cakes for everyone. Liberals claim free will as long as it meets liberal elites' approval.

Liberals will remove statues of one era but not others. Why not take the Jefferson memorial down in DC. He owned slaves.

Where will liberals stop on their cleansing of American history? Imagine how liberal history teachers will characterize this to our children?

Old 05-14-2017, 06:39 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
How is 'history being erased' when one of the largest collections of that history, a museum dedicated in 1891, & located only blocks away from where these monuments to a 4 year old, failed, & never recognized Country are coming down?

"Confederate Memorial Hall opened its doors in New Orleans on January 8, 1891, and since that time has been commemorating the military history and heritage of the South. The museum is the oldest in Louisiana and houses one of the largest collections of Confederate memorabilia in the United States."

Home - Confederate Memorial Hall Museum

Old 05-14-2017, 07:04 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
There's a huge difference between trying to preserve history and celebrating monsters. We don't need statues of Hitler to remember the holocaust.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:44 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
exactly

Uh yeah chicago and illinois are both facing terrible pension problems and a bailout. More and more billions and billions american taxpayers sink into Democrat run ****holes like New orleans, Detroit, and on and on

The civil right movements int he 1960s didnt give blacks the right to vote but yes, the social revolution and civil right movements in the 1960s and "urban renewal" and the "Great Society" have been a disaster for American cities from St louis, Detroit, New orleans, Memphis, Camden ,Newark, Baltimore, Milwaukee, Rochester, Birmingham , Selma and on and on
So the Civil Rights Bill of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 weren't the outcome of the Civil Rights Movement? Blacks weren't prevented from voting prior to their passage?

How precisely has the advancement of civil rights led to urban decay? Are you saying that giving the right to vote to more blacks has led to a decline in American cities? That blacks are incapable of governing and any black run city is a hell hole? That Birmingham would be a better place if we could bring Bull Connor and his pack of dogs back?

Really?

If you had limited your criticism to an attack on Great Society liberalism as a root cause, I would have let it stand without comment because that's politics, but you went much further than that in attacking the civil rights movement in general. It can be reasonably assumed that you're inferring that the triumph of the civil rights movement that resulted in the end of segregation and voting for Southern blacks somehow led to urban decay and things would have been better off had the civil rights movement never taken place.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 05-14-2017 at 08:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies