Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:10 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times

Advertisements

Poor decisions make poor people, I avoid them, they're boring. Successful people are interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 08:14 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Preventative medicine is always cheaper than the alternative.
That was the point of the paying up front or on the back end. LOL. I personally don't care for too much government spending but sometimes we need to, even it's to protect people from their own stupidity in some cases, but whatever.

My faith in humanity is slipping the older I get. People can really be dumb and irrational with their life choices.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:26 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
That's ridiculous, businesses most certainly do know the actual cost of a service, right down to the penny.....and so do accountants when they are called upon to audit that business.

If you don't believe that, feel free to use imaginary numbers on your next tax return and lets us all know how that works out for you.
BS. Especially medical biz, those numbers are largerly approximate if not outright arbitrary like $90 tylenol pill at ER. In most cases they would not even tell you the price of a procedure upfront. Anyhow abortion is pretty much the only moderately priced surgical procedure. Forgive me for smelling an obvious 300 pounds rat.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:34 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
BS. Especially medical biz, those numbers are largerly approximate if not outright arbitrary like $90 tylenol pill at ER. In most cases they would not even tell you the price of a procedure upfront. Anyhow abortion is pretty much the only moderately priced surgical procedure. Forgive me for smelling an obvious 300 pounds rat.

If you think a hospital does not know how much it pays for a Tylenol pill you are naïve.

Just because YOU don't know exactly how much they paid for it doesn't mean their accountants don't.

The vast majority of abortions only require a local anesthetic which keeps the cost much lower than other surgical procedures. For instance, the cost of an in office D&C without anesthesia is right in line with the cost of an abortion, with anesthesia doubles the cost.

If you have proof otherwise, I'd like to see it.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:44 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
If you think a hospital does not know how much it pays for a Tylenol pill you are naïve.

Just because YOU don't know exactly how much they paid for it doesn't mean their accountants don't.

The vast majority of abortions only require a local anesthetic which keeps the cost much lower than other surgical procedures. For instance, the cost of an in office D&C without anesthesia is right in line with the cost of an abortion, with anesthesia doubles the cost.

If you have proof otherwise, I'd like to see it.
All I say that generally cuthroat medical biz gives a generous discount on abortions. A few stitches could cost way north of $1000. Abortion is an internal surgery that can have complications, sometimes deadly. Abortion pricing is an absolute bargain compared to everything else they do. in some estimates an average cost of a surgery stands at $147/minute (total time in an operating room). I doubt it takes less than 30 minutes total time to abort. Do the math.

I am sure Hospitals know how much they pay for tylenol, but the costs of service is what YOU pay for tylenol, and that number varies wildly because it is arbitrary. At the end of the day they need to collect $ covering costs + profit. How much this or that procedure or pill gets them is not exact science. It is mighty kind of them to make up for cheap abortions elsewhere.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:48 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
For some, they want free food, housing, medical and they get it and don't appreciate the value of their handouts nor do they care that someone else worked for the money that is paying their bills. Because they don't appreciate the value, or appreciate that other people paid their bill, they demand more.

Takers are abusive and will never be satisfied.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:15 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
All I say that generally cuthroat medical biz gives a generous discount on abortions. A few stitches could cost way north of $1000. Abortion is an internal surgery that can have complications, sometimes deadly. Abortion pricing is an absolute bargain compared to everything else they do. in some estimates an average cost of a surgery stands at $147/minute (total time in an operating room). I doubt it takes less than 30 minutes total time to abort. Do the math.

I am sure Hospitals know how much they pay for tylenol, but the costs of service is what YOU pay for tylenol, and that number varies wildly because it is arbitrary. At the end of the day they need to collect $ covering costs + profit. How much this or that procedure or pill gets them is not exact science. It is mighty kind of them to make up for cheap abortions elsewhere.

In other words, you have no proof.

You are using vague, biased generalizations that you can't back up with any facts.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:11 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
What percentage of abortions are performed to end pregnancies resultant from cases of rape?
Very few...30 percent of abortions are 2nd and 3rd abortions for those women. They aren't using birth control or using it incorrectly. If I didn't want to get pregnant, (and I didn't as an unwed teen, I used two methods. The pill and condom, or condom and spermacide. Or do other acts that have zero chance of a possible pregnancy.
With that said, I'd like to see implantable methods of bc offered for free at every hospital and clinic set up to do them. Require anyone getting an abortion to use an implantable method of bc if they get pregnant and want a 2nd abortion. Cut welfare program eligibility to 2 yrs, with the requirement the person must also work 20 hrs a week, unpaid for the city...picking up trash, child care facilities, animal shelters, etc. I would also start up free child care facilities that provide free child care and cpr certification, that those people using it, then work there 20 hrs a week. Allow anyone willing to work there unpaid for 20 hrs a week to also be able to use it for free for up to 60 hrs a week for as long as they need.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:47 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,237,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree in theory,

But the 3rd world comment solidified my point. People are still going to have babies, whether or not we "remove" the incentives to do so.

These unwanted babies are going to be more of a drain on the system than the smallish amount in relative terms that PP is funded through tax dollars.

It's still a net gain in my opinion. Like I posted, you're paying buddy, just whether its on the front or the back end.
We are not a third-world country.

Yet.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:09 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,237,693 times
Quote:
You complained about tax payers funding behaviors that carry risks, I listed risky behaviors that cost tax payers money, no matter how you label it.

How are those people going to learn from their mistakes if they are allowed to mitigate the consequences?

No one has a problem with people mitigating the results of an accident or a mistake except when it comes to a woman ending an accidental pregnancy, even though she pays for it herself.

BTW.....having an abortion IS a consequence. Do you think having an abortion is a fun, pain free event?
Public safety and public irresponsibility are two very different things. When public safety responds to irresponsible incidents that result in injury, property damage or violate another's rights, there are often legal consequences in addition to whatever personal consequences the irresponsible behavior caused.

A) If you don't want children, it is irresponsible to have sex without birth control. B) It is irresponsible to have an expectation that someone else should pay for your birth control if you can't afford it. C) It is barbaric to terminate a pregnancy because one would not be accountable for A and B.

And, this notion that taxpayers not funding abortions isn't true.

https://www.aclu.org/map/public-fund...ect=node/24455

Then there's this sentence...

"The Hyde Amendment forces many women to divert money meant for living expenses — like food, rent, utilities and bills — to pay for an abortion"

No, irresponsible behavior forces women to divert money meant for living expenses - like food, rent, utilities and bills — to pay for an abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies