Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:38 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times

Advertisements

Your tax dollars pay for things that don't directly affect you all the time. You realize this, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 09:39 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
Women so outraged about defunding planned parenthood? Why should our tax payers pay for other abortions? Each person should be responsible. Take proper precautions, if you can't afford birth control, get a second job or cut out something to have money for it. Or have sex on the days you know you aren't at risk....or abstain from it until you can be responsible. Mistakes do happen but people do have to take accountability.

after you apply the rules for men to unzip only when-- -- then we can talk

Old 03-08-2017, 09:39 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Your tax dollars do not pay for abortions. They help ensure that women are able to take responsibility, just as you are asking them to do. They pay for preventative care and access to birth control and other services that have nothing to do with obstetrics.

When I was a young married woman without health insurance, I used the local planned parenthood for my yearly checkups (at a reduced fee that I could afford out-of-pocket while my husband and I were getting our feet on the ground) and birth control at a reduced fee (I payed about the same amount out-of-pocket that I would have had we had health insurance). Planned parenthood helped ensure that we didn't end up with a baby before we could afford one, and I'll forever be grateful to them for that and the excellent care I received there as a patient.
Of course they don't. But don't let facts get in the way of the conservatives' fake outrage They don't want to pay for birth control for poor women, they don't want to pay for abortions (and they don't,) they don't want to pay for welfare for the unwanted kids when the poor women couldn't buy their own birth control, and now they don't even want to help subsidize healthcare for Americans, comparing the NEED for healthcare to a luxury like a Ferrari. Good grief.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:41 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times
Quote:
Women so outraged about defunding planned parenthood? Why should our tax payers pay for other abortions? Each person should be responsible. Take proper precautions, if you can't afford birth control, get a second job or cut out something to have money for it. Or have sex on the days you know you aren't at risk....or abstain from it until you can be responsible. Mistakes do happen but people do have to take accountability.
I've had a number of threads on here decying the obesity problem in america.
Yes, I believe in personal responsibility.
People need to wake up and get healthy...

this goes for righties, lefties, and others.

Trump needs to lose weight too as he's obese....sets a bad example to kids

Old 03-08-2017, 09:44 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Not only do they need to take away from paying for abortions. The government needs to stop paying for their daycare or other subsidies.

The primary institution that is responsible for raising children is the FAMILY. If mom is a deadbeat, than it's her parents burden. If they're a deadbeat, than various volunteer charity programs like churches are there.

This provides an ACCOUNTABILITY. There is none with big brother Government taking and paying for kids. There is an incentive of the uneducated single women to have more children for tax benefits.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:44 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
Yes, please lets focus on domestic issues. It is still better than paying for illegal immigrants & refugees. I dont mind using tax money for programs like planned parenthood but please lets stop foreign aid & wasting money on illegals' welfare programs. Whether we should support abortion or not are the real issues our leaders should be debating. Lets not be penny wise & pound foolish. When you are giving away billions in foreign aid & foreign wars, then debating about a few million dollars going towards planned parenthood is useless. Fix the unnecessary, big expenses first & start investing in domestic issues.

Some people have babies to get easy welfare money & some have abortions so that they dont have to go on welfare. So it is tough for me to pick a side. Depends on the person so I get the personal responsibility part.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:03 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
The primary institution that is responsible for raising children is the FAMILY. If mom is a deadbeat, than it's her parents burden. If they're a deadbeat, than various volunteer charity programs like churches are there.
Fathers get a free pass with you?

Old 03-08-2017, 12:35 PM

711 posts, read 688,676 times
You realize that Planned Parenthood provides services far beyond abortion, right?

Quote:
Abortions accounted for 3 percent of the nearly 10.6 million total services provided by Planned Parenthood clinics in 2013, according to its annual report.
Some services it provided in addition to abortions were:
  • 4.5 million tests and treatment for sexually transmitted infections
  • 3.6 million contraception related services
  • 935,573 cancer screenings including breast exams and Pap tests
  • 1.1 million pregnancy tests and prenatal services
Planned Parenthood’s Services

Old 03-08-2017, 01:24 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Officially, federal funding cannot be used to fund abortions.

Wages have been stagnant. People are working longer hours and getting less for it, all the while, inflation carries on. Abstinence is an unrealistic expectation. It's a natural impulse to want to have sex and there are large health benefits to doing so.

For what it's worth, I think birth control should be cheaper, sex education improved, and wages need to rise. I'm less concerned about abortions and in general would recommend people avoid getting them, though recognize at times that it may be a responsible option.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:41 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:

I wish conservatives would follow what they preach and stopping blaming Obama for their own failures and starting taking responsibility for their lives.

Conservatives: Under Obama, many Americans can't afford to write a $500 check!!

Me: So, it's Obama's fault that Joe Schmo doesn't have a high paying job and can't save enough money, when there are plenty of high-paying jobs begging for people????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies