Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: We are all immigrants in America
YES 53 25.00%
NO 159 75.00%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 11:11 PM

3,076 posts, read 1,684,531 times

Advertisements

Born here - as American as anyone else. My parents immigrated here ............. as did all the native Indians, if theoretical history is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 11:31 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
This whole thread doesn't really make sense, and seems like a conservative trick. The answer is only the Native Americans (read: Amerinians) are this countries rightful citizens. The rest of us are here because of immigrants.

Point is, no whites, blacks, Asians, or Latinos are indigenous to this country.

So I am not voting in the poll

Old 03-15-2017, 11:53 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
almost all of us are descended from immigrants
No, ALL of us who were born in the U.S. are descended from immigrants (EDIT: except those who descend ONLY from people brought here against their will). The first humans who inhabited the land that is now the United States came from elsewhere.

That said, the 'land that the United Staes encompasses' isn't what is now the United States. What is now the United States is the result of a lot of investment and ingenuity expended to create that whole. We have a right to sovereign borders.

Last edited by RMESMH; 03-16-2017 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: SEE EDIT NOTE

Old 03-16-2017, 12:43 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
No, ALL of us who were born in the U.S. are descended from immigrants. The first humans who inhabited the land that is now the United States came from elsewhere.

That said, the 'land that the United Staes encompasses' isn't what is now the United States. What is now the United States is the result of a lot of investment and ingenuity expended to create that whole. We have a right to sovereign borders.
No...NOT all of us. Some of YOU are descended from immigrants.

There are about 30+ million of us who are not descended from immigrants.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The answer is only the Native Americans (read: Amerinians) are this countries rightful citizens. The rest of us are here because of immigrants.
Wrong. ALL of us either came from elsewhere, or are descended from people who came from elsewhere.

Quote:
'This country' isn't the same thing as the 'land that became this country'.

Based on current findings, Homo sapiens (as well as the previous Neanderthal, Homo erectus, and Home habillis) were originally found in Africa.

Quote:
Bully for you. I doubt the OP cares. A number of people didn't share your desire to boycott voted, and you still didn't boycott the thread.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No...NOT all of us. Some of YOU are descended from immigrants.

There are about 30+ million of us who are not descended from immigrants.
I should have inserted/included 'except those who descend ONLY from people brought here against their will' (EDIT: I just added this to post #83). My intention was not to be insensitive to said group. I generally like Ben Carson, but I did think part of his recent speech to his department was cringeworthy.

Last edited by RMESMH; 03-16-2017 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: SEE EDIT NOTE

Old 03-16-2017, 07:29 AM

63,004 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
This whole thread doesn't really make sense, and seems like a conservative trick. The answer is only the Native Americans (read: Amerinians) are this countries rightful citizens. The rest of us are here because of immigrants.

The Ameridians were not native/indigenous to this country either. They migrated over the Bering Strait. Let's keep it real, shall we? They are the only rightful citizens of this country? Are you joking?

Old 03-16-2017, 07:35 AM

416 posts, read 253,753 times
Quote:

White people may not be indigenous to the Americas, but they are the founders of this country, which makes them indigenous to this country. American Indians are indigenous to the land but not this country.

This is a very important distinction that first needs to be made.

The second point that needs to be made, the liberal talking point that we're all immigrants or descended from immigrants and therefore need to allow in more immigrants - is just so dumb, I'm surprised people take it seriously.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
or they were basically ILLEGALS !

The first wave of Europeans also conquered more with their diseases to the point of almost wiping out the Native Americans population along with their guns.

I wonder how different America would be if the Native American population was immune to European born diseases and also had as many guns to defend them selves from these European "foreign" invaders !
How were the European settlers illegals? There were no immigration laws back then. There was no such thing as a native American either since they migrated over the Bering Strait. The Europeans were not invaders. In order to be an invader one would have to have been illegally in this land and they weren't.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
White people may not be indigenous to the Americas, but they are the founders of this country, which makes them indigenous to this country. American Indians are indigenous to the land but not this country.

This is a very important distinction that first needs to be made.

The second point that needs to be made, the liberal talking point that we're all immigrants or descended from immigrants and therefore need to allow in more immigrants - is just so dumb, I'm surprised people take it seriously.

All good factual points except that the American Indians weren't indigenous to this land either they migrated over the Bering Strait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies