Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 11:58 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
That average is a skewed figure. Many, many people get the $763 a month that is the minimum. A few get huge checks which inflates the average. You have to pay for part B. Try paying $108 out of the $763 and see how you can afford to eat. Then buy a supplement out of the leftover.
skewed how? In any case, medicare has programs for paying for part B and deductibles and co-pays for the very low income recipients
they are called QMB, SLMB, and QI

For the lowest income recipient there is QMB
QMB max income single $1001 couple $1348
Pays Part A and Part B premiums and other costs (like deductibles, coinsurance, and copayments)
https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/10126.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
No, but why throw out some extreme alternative? That accomplishes nothing.
There are indeed healthcare superusers. But healthcare in the US is already more than twice as expensive per capita as the average of all other developed countries, with poorer outcomes than most, and costs increasing significantly faster than inflation.
If I follow your lead, 'what do you suggest, doing nothing but raising taxes no matter how expensive it becomes?' We're going to have to find some middle ground, despite a willingly ignorant electorate - everybody can't have whatever they want. Grow up.
Grow up? What a peculiar comment from a poster who has offered NO solutions except that we can't give everyone what they want. As a civilized nation we have a moral and ethical obligation to avoid having our population die from lack of health care.

There are various solutions, single payer, public option, medicare for all, private pay with fee caps on hospitals etc. But to limit care because you are poor, that is disgusting.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:10 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiehere View Post
how come there is no premium for advantage plan, what's in it for them. It sounds too good to be true.
hmo

Old 03-18-2017, 12:16 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Medicare advantage is plan "C" and it takes care of drugs too, if you use this tool you can put in your zip code and find medicare advantage plans and rates for your zipcode

https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...ions/home.aspx
  • Enter your zip code and click 'find plans'.
  • On next page choose "original medicare" and "I don't get any extra help", click continue to plan results
  • On next page enter "i don't want to enter my drugs now" (you can enter them but you can get a good idea of costs without doing so
  • On the next page in the center frame choose "medicare plans with drug coverage"
  • click continue to plan results
  • You will get a list of plans with premiums, co-pays and deductibles.
Thanks. I don't need it. I'm just asking out of curiousity. My health plan covers overseas too so I'm not getting rid of it. My sister might need it though.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
hmo
In Reno my husband had an Anthem Advantage PPO plan

Old 03-18-2017, 12:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Here's a new hospital model being played out in the Cayman Islands that has the attention of some major US healthsystem. It's a worthwhile read.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertp.../#71f18d525b5b

Old 03-18-2017, 04:01 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Grow up? What a peculiar comment from a poster who has offered NO solutions except that we can't give everyone what they want. As a civilized nation we have a moral and ethical obligation to avoid having our population die from lack of health care.

There are various solutions, single payer, public option, medicare for all, private pay with fee caps on hospitals etc. But to limit care because you are poor, that is disgusting.
If 'we the people' decide to provide the desired HC for all our people it can be done. The money won't be the problem, as fiat can be created. The problem as always will remain in our productivity. If we don't spend and plan properly now, we won't have enough docs, HC providers and facilities in the future. And then access will be functionally rationed.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:09 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Here's a new hospital model being played out in the Cayman Islands that has the attention of some major US healthsystem. It's a worthwhile read.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertp.../#71f18d525b5b
Traveling for HC discounts can work for some patients, but far from all. Just concerning cardiac patients, don't forget that those needing expensive and complicated heart surgery tend not to be the best travelers. Getting all the way to Cayman may be a daunting task in and of itself. Then there will have to be insurance coverage for most patients. Next is the post-op period of recovery and rehab. Not so easy in a distant land.

Having just been through over a month of intense hospitalization with my wife being 150 miles away from home, this is no small matter. Getting her back to local rehab was a huge upgrade for all parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies