Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 10:46 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
This is why I have always liked your postings, MQ. Well thought out and well written. Not partisan.
Even though I'm clearly a conservative, my church is middle of the road / liberal and does quite a bit to help the less fortunate, which I am on board with.
Good. I think in the real world, most of us have more in common than not.

And thanks for noting my lack of partisanship. I equally can't stand most politicians!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 10:47 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Where is the outrage from the Christian Conservative part of the Republican party?
They're too busy contributing to charities as a higher rate than liberals, and dealing with IRS audits that target conservative charities that could be helping out.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:53 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Although I resent the labeling from ANY side, I tend to lean liberal with most things, conservative with others. Neither have I been whining about the cuts, but rather posted facts, which have been largely been ignored.

But I will give you this. I belong to a "liberal" branch of Christianity that believes "love your neighbors" is the primary commandment, difficult as that is to do sometimes. Most liberal Christians are very involved with feeding the poor through soup kitchens or food pantries. We don't spend time pointing out with glee who is going to hell because they didn't follow this verse or do that ritual.

You know where I live, BeerGeek. When Sandy hit, a lot of conservative types just sneered that people shouldn't complain that their homes were lost when they should have had more sense than to live near the water. Of course, most of the people who suffered from that storm were poor or lower-middle-class, who lived in the bayshore towns because that's where they could afford to live, so they weren't worth helping. The poor people who lost their homes were sleeping on the beaches, while the attention was given to the wealthy who lost vacation homes in the ocean towns, and it was the liberal churches who set up soup kitchens to feed them and help cleaning up while our Republican governor handed contracts to his buddies with FEMA money and ran around the country trying to persuade people that he should be President.

Conservatives help the poor and hungry, too, I know, but some of them more often seem to attach strings to their help and sit in judgment about whether others deserve help or not than liberal types do.
I saw a lot of reporting on the poor and middle classes when that happened. I don't know who watch that it wasn't reported. Once again, it is liberal types like you who are SNEERING at the middle class. Is it convenient thinking that you don't remember liberals calling us stupid, uneducated, deplorable's, even a one calling for the extermination of white people. That's why you're confused why you lost. You just refuse to see it. People are going to put up with it for so long, and it looks like that time came.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:25 AM

8,151 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The percentage of Sweden's tax revenue from income, capital gains and payroll tax IS lower than that in the US. The difference (a 13 percentage point defecit) is made up with Sweden's 25% VAT tax, which is highly regressive, resulting in Sweden having a MUCH more regressive tax system than the US.

This issue HAS been researched (I posted the link), and it's exactly as I state, your wishful thinking otherwise notwithstanding.

I can't really go through all the numbers but again, to talk about regressive, you need to look at everything. Coming back to the example of day care once again: 2 kids, 20k a year. Household income 200k, so equivalent to 10% tax in all the years the daycare is needed. Household income 20mil, that same daycare would be equivalent to 0.1% tax.

In terms of VAT or the sales taxes here, yes, they are regressive.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:52 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I saw a lot of reporting on the poor and middle classes when that happened. I don't know who watch that it wasn't reported. Once again, it is liberal types like you who are SNEERING at the middle class. Is it convenient thinking that you don't remember liberals calling us stupid, uneducated, deplorable's, even a one calling for the extermination of white people. That's why you're confused why you lost. You just refuse to see it. People are going to put up with it for so long, and it looks like that time came.
You really aren't making any sense here, Dude. Are you confusing me with someone else?

My statement had nothing to do with what I watched or didn't. I live here. And I was talking about the remarks of people on forums like this, website media comments, and so forth.

I AM white and middle class. Where do you get that I am sneering at anybody?

Yes, I remember people being called deplorables. That's one of the main reasons I didn't vote for Hillary--calling an opposing candidate names is bad enough. Calling the American people names is unconscionable.

I "lost" because I voted for someone who had no chance of winning. Nothing about that has me confused. I was going to lose no matter which of the two jackasses the rest of you chose to put in office.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-20-2017 at 12:24 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 12:00 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I suggest you get the dead weights off the dole and maybe people would be less angry.
And that includes the pencil-pushing bureaucrats that perpetrate the waste, fraud and abuse rampant in those agencies. I'd be more than happy to have my tax dollars go to the needy. But when I see the lavish office remodels, extravagant conferences and useless art purchased, I'm going to say NO to anything but drastic cuts. Because if those agencies have "extra" money available for those things, they have PLENTY for the truly needy.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
WOOOWWWWW

That is AMAZING that you think you know everybody's situation well enough to dictate such an action.
Funny how society expects children to live with their family, even to the point of giving a family tens of thousands of $$$$$ worth of benefits a year for housing, food, health care, etc., etc., etc. Aren't liberals always going on and on about the poor having the right to have 3, 4, 5, or even more children they'll never be able to provide for?

Well, guess what? It works the other way around, too. Elders who are poor can move in with one of their kids, a niece, nephew, brother, sister, cousin, etc.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:12 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
The percentage of Sweden's tax revenue from income, capital gains and payroll tax IS lower than that in the US.
Sweden's tax revenue from income, capital gains and payroll tax is much higher than its revenue from VAT. Thats the reality. And they have much higher taxes on income, capital gains, payroll than America as well.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:16 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Funny how society expects children to live with their family, even to the point of giving a family tens of thousands of $$$$$ worth of benefits a year for housing, food, health care, etc., etc., etc. Aren't liberals always going on and on about the poor having the right to have 3, 4, 5, or even more children they'll never be able to provide for?

Well, guess what? It works the other way around, too. Elders who are poor can move in with one of their kids, a niece, nephew, brother, sister, cousin, etc.
We are not living in rural America in the 18th century any longer. Many elderly can of course not do that. You just dont know what you are talking about, just like when you claimed anyone in Texas get free health care if they earn less than $40 000 a year.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:17 PM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If they are a danger to themselves or unable to care for themselves they need 24/7 care and most people have to work so they would still be home alone even living with kids.
That isn't always the case. It frequently happens that they just need regular help, not constant 24/7 supervision. The way our situation worked with my father-in-law when his health deteriorated severely at the end of his stay with us was regular (but not constant) home hospice care paid for by Medicare, and my spouse or I worked from home when we could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies