Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 08:44 AM

19,699 posts, read 12,275,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Probably because most of us (liberal and conservative) who actually work with these programs know what a shoe string budget they already operate on. We need federal money for many of these programs to work. Fact.
Yes, every little bit helps for programs like this. It really does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 08:45 AM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
How many of your liberals who are whining about the cuts, actually use any of your time, or money, to help your local food bank, or meals on wheels, or a similar type program? I'm curious.
Although I resent the labeling from ANY side, I tend to lean liberal with most things, conservative with others. Neither have I been whining about the cuts, but rather posted facts, which have been largely been ignored.

But I will give you this. I belong to a "liberal" branch of Christianity that believes "love your neighbors" is the primary commandment, difficult as that is to do sometimes. Most liberal Christians are very involved with feeding the poor through soup kitchens or food pantries. We don't spend time pointing out with glee who is going to hell because they didn't follow this verse or do that ritual.

You know where I live, BeerGeek. When Sandy hit, a lot of conservative types just sneered that people shouldn't complain that their homes were lost when they should have had more sense than to live near the water. Of course, most of the people who suffered from that storm were poor or lower-middle-class, who lived in the bayshore towns because that's where they could afford to live, so they weren't worth helping. The poor people who lost their homes were sleeping on the beaches, while the attention was given to the wealthy who lost vacation homes in the ocean towns, and it was the liberal churches who set up soup kitchens to feed them and help cleaning up while our Republican governor handed contracts to his buddies with FEMA money and ran around the country trying to persuade people that he should be President.

Conservatives help the poor and hungry, too, I know, but some of them more often seem to attach strings to their help and sit in judgment about whether others deserve help or not than liberal types do.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:46 AM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Oh? And what about those of us that never had kids? As a childless widow, I guess if I can no longer live in my home and can't afford assisted living and don't qualify for a nursing home, I should go live under a bridge? Oops, there's very few bridges in my rural county - guess I'll have to settle for a culvert.
Let me guess what the answer will be: "not having children constitutes poor planning on your part" At one time in these forums I mentioned having a few rough years when my husband walked out on me and our two kids and I probably got 10 responses basically saying: "That's entirely your fault for marrying a bum"

Old 03-20-2017, 09:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If they are a danger to themselves or unable to care for themselves they need 24/7 care and most people have to work so they would still be home alone even living with kids. I've seen families try to pull this and the doctor needs to legally order 24/7 care so the kids could not say they were caregiving when they were away from home for ten hours a day. They do this to try to save their inheritance. Some peoples adult kids are poor and live in studio apartments or with a loser boyfriend or have other problems. Some people travel for work.

Rich people can host their old and sick family members, with the help of home health and private nurses, and make sure the person has what they need. Otherwise decisions need to be made. Most seniors want to stay in their own homes as long as possible.
When my mom stayed with us, I had to put her in adult day care b/c she got into trouble while I was at work! We did move her into assisted living.

But you're right, everyone's situation is different.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,618,399 times
If PRESIDENT Trump was ever able to cure cancer, some would be upset that he's taken jobs away from doctors...
You guys are the biggest bunch of cry babies I've seen since I was in kindergarten...

Old 03-20-2017, 09:47 AM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Let me guess what the answer will be: "not having children constitutes poor planning on your part" At one time in these forums I mentioned having a few rough years when my husband walked out on me and our two kids and I probably got 10 responses basically saying: "That's entirely your fault for marrying a bum"
Yes, I've gotten that, too, for having married someone who turned out to be an alcoholic. I had no experience with alkies or addicts or compulsive gamblers, but I just "should have" known anyway. It's weird. All these perfect people are on the Internet, but I've never met one in real life!

Old 03-20-2017, 09:50 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,580,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMF View Post
If PRESIDENT Trump was ever able to cure cancer, some would be upset that he's taken jobs away from doctors...
You guys are the biggest bunch of cry babies I've seen since I was in kindergarten...
Hey, we learn from the master, your idol Trump.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:51 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,095,863 times
Where is the outrage from the Christian Conservative part of the Republican party?

Old 03-20-2017, 10:33 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,317,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Although I resent the labeling from ANY side, I tend to lean liberal with most things, conservative with others. Neither have I been whining about the cuts, but rather posted facts, which have been largely been ignored.

But I will give you this. I belong to a "liberal" branch of Christianity that believes "love your neighbors" is the primary commandment, difficult as that is to do sometimes. Most liberal Christians are very involved with feeding the poor through soup kitchens or food pantries. We don't spend time pointing out with glee who is going to hell because they didn't follow this verse or do that ritual.

You know where I live, BeerGeek. When Sandy hit, a lot of conservative types just sneered that people shouldn't complain that their homes were lost when they should have had more sense than to live near the water. Of course, most of the people who suffered from that storm were poor or lower-middle-class, who lived in the bayshore towns because that's where they could afford to live, so they weren't worth helping. The poor people who lost their homes were sleeping on the beaches, while the attention was given to the wealthy who lost vacation homes in the ocean towns, and it was the liberal churches who set up soup kitchens to feed them and help cleaning up while our Republican governor handed contracts to his buddies with FEMA money and ran around the country trying to persuade people that he should be President.

Conservatives help the poor and hungry, too, I know, but some of them more often seem to attach strings to their help and sit in judgment about whether others deserve help or not than liberal types do.
This is why I have always liked your postings, MQ. Well thought out and well written. Not partisan.
Even though I'm clearly a conservative, my church is middle of the road / liberal and does quite a bit to help the less fortunate, which I am on board with.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:44 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,997,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Probably because most of us (liberal and conservative) who actually work with these programs know what a shoe string budget they already operate on. We need federal money for many of these programs to work. Fact.
Which is how our country got into this mess. When you spend $1.70 for every dollar you take in, something has GOT to be cut. Fact.

Federal dollars should not be funding local programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies