Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 01:44 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
One meal a day does not keep people in their home. There are countless programs that provide various services to the elderly. There are countless charities that provide meals. People are put in facilities due to health reasons or because they become a danger to themselves or can no longer physically or mentally care for themselves.

And it was not just the wealthy that took in their elder relatives. My family roots are in Appalachian. Grandparents and greats were poor farmers, worked in the mines and for the rr and any type work they could. I grew up seeing generations caring for their elders. It was common practice there was no alternative, there were no homes. My grandparents cared for their parents, uncles and aunts, my parents and siblings cared for their parents. It's was not a matter of money.
That is true of our family too but now we all work so having someone at the home while your at work is expensive. I calculated it and with both me and my brother taking turns to be there and hiring help, it costs around $46k a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 01:45 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Please, saying your 'fingerprints were on something' and you were 'in the community' is hardly falling on one's sword.
It was Clapper's agency's WMD intel in the October 2002 NIE. Clapper was the Director of the agency at the time. He even admitted fault, more than a decade after the fact, to Congress.

Facts are facts.

Prior to that, in 1998, Bill Clinton also insisted Iraq had WMDs, so there would be no reason for Bush to doubt Clapper's analysis and assessment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENAV_UoIfgc

Old 03-16-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
How is a son who lives in, say California, going to take meals to his mother who lives in, say in Kentucky?

Families might not live near each other. Often elderly people don't want to leave their homes and communities that they are familiar with to move in with their children and lose their independence.

It's always easy to cut programs that don't affect you directly. Most of us on CD will become elderly people at some point. By the times that happens, some of us will lose our children and family, our money, our health, etc. Are you willing to depend on the locally funded state food pantry to get meals if there are no more federal funds for MOW?
Do you know the income limits for your community based programs. You better be at or below it or your chit out of luck. Those limits are lower than Medicaid income limits. You'll land in a nursing home. But don't worry, the poor get a lot of assistance to stay at home.

The qualifications don't make sense if their intent is to save the state money.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:47 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Now that you are no longer delivering these federally funded commodities, do you still visit these elderly women?

Well that was over 30 years ago so they are long dead. I did for a while but I was not seeking volunteer work as those who are actively looking to volunteer. I did it initially because someone asked me if I would. We did not deliver the commodities, people had to come and pick them up.
I would hope that if someone truly wanted to do volunteer work in there community and the actually visit to check their well being was of as great importance as the food itself that the presence or absence of a federally funded meal would not be what dictated their generosity.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There has been a push for "aging in place" or keeping elders in their homes as long as possible, and programs like MOW are key to that. It makes no sense to cut it as it works toward the goal of longer independent living which saves money.
Your right, it doesn't make sense but because I know how it works, at least here in PA, the only people it benefits is the very poor. The middle class pay for it but if their social security is high enough they won't qualify. The income limits are very low.

It's truly amazing the free things the poor get. I'm sorry to say, that the middle class better save their butts off or hope you have a family members who can help.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There has been a push for "aging in place" or keeping elders in their homes as long as possible, and programs like MOW are key to that. It makes no sense to cut it as it works toward the goal of longer independent living which saves money.
You keep saying that. Lay out for us how one delivered meal a day keeps elders in their homes longer.
Is one delivered meal the key to independent living.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You keep saying that. Lay out for us how one delivered meal a day keeps elders in their homes longer.
Is one delivered meal the key to independent living.
It won't make a difference. They give a lot of food at the food bank too and the volunteers deliver to shut ins.

All I'm saying is something has to give. The middle class can't keep footing these handouts. They need their money to take care of themselves.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:00 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,488,538 times
My grandmother tried to stay in her own home after my grandfather went to a nursing home. I tried to drive the 50 mile round trip once or twice a week to help her with meals but meals on wheels was a lifesaver. The food wasn't that great but it kept her nourished.

My mom has a goal to remain in her condo as long as she can. She is now 87. I live about 10 miles away and stop by weekly to bring by homemade soup and fresh fruit and veggies from our garden plus have some step family also stopping by. My sister is moving back home so she can help, also. My mom can cook now but just heating up soup or making a sandwich are the limit on what she wants to do. And, she was a great cook.

She won't need meals on wheels, but if she did it would keep her fed and someone could keep an eye on her. Our family is able but not everyone's can.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
That is true of our family too but now we all work so having someone at the home while your at work is expensive. I calculated it and with both me and my brother taking turns to be there and hiring help, it costs around $46k a year.
Yes thats the thing now everyone works so few have the ability to care for their people. I remember my mother quitting her job to move in with my grands and care for pa but not everyone has that luxury.

The thing people are missing is that its more than a delivered meal a day that elders need to stay in their homes. That is not what prevents them from having to go to a facility. Its the lack of families ability to actually be there to care for their daily needs. They may need help bathing, dressing, maintaining their home, with their meds, etc. Its nice for them to have one of their meals delivered but it wont make or break them as some keep suggesting.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
It won't make a difference. They give a lot of food at the food bank too and the volunteers deliver to shut ins.

All I'm saying is something has to give. The middle class can't keep footing these handouts. They need their money to take care of themselves.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies