Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 12:31 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
As a rural resident that has taken advantage of this subsidy, I agree with this move. The government shouldn't be subsidizing air travel. I'm sure urban residents don't want their tax money going to a subsidy like this and I can't say I blame them.
It's $175 million per year in the $4 trillion federal budget. That's a rounding error. This is not where any significant savings is going to be found but inconvenience lots of rural Americans. Considering that Trump is just fine spending $60 million a year protecting Trump Tower so his wife doesn't have to live in a black neighborhood in DC, I don't think they have their priorities straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 12:32 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Do you think if the guv didn't build roads we'd still be riding in horse and buggy?
4 wheel drive Baja buggies and expensive turnpikes, forget the interstate system.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:43 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
The government is still subsidizing the oil industry. Like they need our money?

Old 03-24-2017, 12:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Tell that to a burn victim who has to be flown to the nearest hospital with a critical burn facility. Or prepare to be brave enough to go watch the victim die, screaming in agony instead.

Talk is real cheap when the speaker has easy access to life and death matters. It's not so cheap when someone who lives far away runs into very serious trouble. You could need an emergency airlift yourself someday, if you ever leave the confines of your basement and venture out of the city limits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
As usual, your analyses are pragmatic & reality-based, thanks & respect, appreciated.

You're right, having worked in an emergency room, I've seen for myself that the time it takes to get the patient to treatment is a crucial factor in their outcomes. I've seen people come in with multiple bullet wounds who survive & also people arriving with much less serious injuries who didn't & solely because they didn't get to treatment in time.
Since when do hospitals use the commercial airlines to air transport to the hospital.
In my neck of the woods helicopters are used.
Big difference in using a helicopter to transport a medical emergency to the nearest hospital and subsidizing personal and business travel because someone is inconvenienced by driving to a bigger airport.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:13 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Whatever projects provide the most economic benefit for the least cost should be implemented. I'd argue that this bill is as wasteful as subsidizing streetcars in larger cities are. With that said 175 million really isn't that much.
we could keep a lot of rural airports open if Trump didn't want to spend 15-25 billion on a wall that no one in their right mind thinks will do squat to stop illegal immigration
Estimating the true cost

Old 03-24-2017, 01:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Federal highway funds pay for most of the interstates going through sparsely populated states like Montana, Utah, etc. Let's cut them off too, right?
Do you see a difference in the feds funding an interstate system as per their responsibility to act on behalf of the nation by connecting individual states and promoting a transportation module between and among states and subsidizing specific airports for the convenience of a set few people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
It's $175 million per year in the $4 trillion federal budget. That's a rounding error. This is not where any significant savings is going to be found but inconvenience lots of rural Americans. Considering that Trump is just fine spending $60 million a year protecting Trump Tower so his wife doesn't have to live in a black neighborhood in DC, I don't think they have their priorities straight.
Pointing out that each individual program is but a small portion of the giant funding machine therefore we not worrying with those thousands of little expenditures will not work towards balancing the budget.
Have you heard of Dave Ramsey and his snowball effect?
How about the phrase nickle and dime? or its the little things?

Quote:
inconvenience lots of rural Americans.
Do you honestly believe it is the responsibility of the federal to make sure Americans are not inconvenienced?

Quote:
so his wife doesn't have to live in a black neighborhood in DC
What? Living in the White House is akin to living in a black neighborhood. Now that has got to win the prize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies