Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 03:52 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
context.
The context of shopping? Why do you have to turn shopping into a racist thing? It's not. Like I said, the fact that I prefer to patronize businesses owned by locals to support our town's folks doesn't make me a xenophobe.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:55 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The context of shopping? Why do you have to turn shopping into a racist thing? It's not. Like I said, the fact that I prefer to patronize businesses owned by locals to support our town's folks doesn't make me a xenophobe.
the post the I originally quoted was about how blacks waste money on rims. You can go back and check. Context. And next time make sure you're actually addressing the exact issue I'm was typing about. You know you were strawmanning there. Have a nice day. . I'm done with you.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Financial illiteracy rears its ugly head, yet again. /SMH... How do you think that "$130,000 or whatever" average wealth was determined without including millionaires' net wealth? And 80% of those millionaires are first-generation wealthy, meaning they DIDN'T inherit "family wealth."

Wide-spread financial illiteracy is a serious problem in this country. It's what keeps so many poor, struggling financially, etc., for life.
So about 7% of Americans are millionaires, so this means the wealth gap isn't determined by this 7%. So why are you still bringing this up. What does derive the accumulation of wealth in the US? Home ownership and home appreciation.

While social mobility is decreasing over the past 20 years - family social class aka the social class of your parents correlates with your future social class. Considering more white Americans own their homes (due to policy), this means they are more likely to be middle class or higher and this contributes to the wealth gap. This represents the "wealth" passed down to the next generation. Wealth is not only monetary - access to a certain set of values and role models also impacts where you end up. White collar parents beget white collar kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies