Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 10:54 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
One thing I notice when in America......... security guards like to wear shiny metal badges on their chests. Must make 'em feel real important. Never see it anywhere else but America. Fancy badge covered uniforms as well...........I always find it interesting to observe.
Many security guards are folks who yearn to be cops but can't make the grade.

Hence all the fuss with fancy badges and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 10:55 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If your lease stated you could be bumped out of your house and compensated for the rent you lost, it would be fair, but I don't think the law would allow that anyway.

Flying cannot be compared to anything else. Schedules change all the time, it is pretty chaotic because of how many planes are flying to so many destinations and trying to keep it all going. That crew needs a certain amount of rest time and needed to get to where they were going to avoid an entire flight being cancelled. There are a lot of variables and restrictions particularly post 911 and some of us avoid flying because we don't like surprises.
This wasn't a schedule change though. I mean how many times are flights cancelled and all passengers scramble for future available flights? Quite often. This there is no proof that the flight crew for a future Louisville flight were on a cancelled flight or a delayed flight. And if they were, why did it take so long to try to entice passengers to deplane

Old 04-14-2017, 10:55 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
People are removed every day when needed, never heard of anything like this incident. He isn't the first unhappy customer that was led off a flight. Be happy this won't happen again and airlines will need to add in a few thousand more for incentive, the ticket price just went up because of this fool.
Or they could take it out of the CEO's multi-million dollar annual bonus.

Just read where they are considering postponing the announcement until the feathers settle on this.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:18 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The airplane is private property, is it not? What about the airport?
The airplane is personal property. The analog is a car not a house. It often is not even owned by the airline but leased. The airline has rights to the use of the gate through some contract arrangement but it may not even be exclusive. The airports are virtually all municipally owned though there may be a few in private hands.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:22 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Many security guards are folks who yearn to be cops but can't make the grade.

Hence all the fuss with fancy badges and so forth.
These guys are police...that is they can arrest you. They are not armed. The biggest source is not cop wannabes but retired Chicago Police officers. The discussion about "Police" on clothing deals with discriminating the Airport Security from the Chicago Police who patrol the public areas of the airport.

Weird arrangement.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:31 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
One thing I hope comes out of this is that policies for boarding, being bumped both voluntarily and involuntarily, compensation and the rights and responsibilities of both the passengers and the airline is spelled out in plain language. Just like hospital policies, their rights and patient's rights are now printed and handed out to the patient upon admission.

Now more numbo- jumbo fine print. After 51 pages of posting in this thread no one can link how to access that document on whether the airline was right in forcing a paying, not unruly passenger off a plane after he was seated or if the airline was wrong. If a customer cannot have that rights clearly displayed then something is wrong. Hope the Senate committee can change the rules on that.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:31 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Sorry, I no longer have the patience to even entertain your nonsense. Keep posting personal attacks against me and I'll keep making clear that you clearly have some personal hatred for me that you refuse to reveal.

Or, in a nutshell, the factual/legal arguments, on one side, and the emotional arguments, on the other side.

I think a highly trained and experienced police officer perhaps could have apprehended the violator without hurting him, but that kind of training perhaps is not part of the Chicago aviation police protocol, and regardless the city probably staffs the airport police department with less experienced officers since it has a much smaller budget per officer than the city police.

And how much of the original manipulation of social media was fostered by the lawyer the violator had on the phone at the time, we'll never know.

Sorry, I no longer have the patience to even entertain your nonsense. Keep posting personal attacks against me and I'll keep making clear that you clearly have some personal hatred for me that you refuse to reveal.

They weren't security guards. They were Chicago aviation police, employees of the City of Chicago.

Even worse: They're doing all that as a reflection of calculated risk analysis and driven by public relations. They're trying to manipulate the public in their favor just like the public was manipulated against them.

Another good point: Again, this is all factored into the costs of doing business, and if airline travel wasn't profitable enough, would just be reflected in a higher fare the next time you book a flight on United, or Delta for that matter.

Im simply asking you to substatiate your claims youve made. There is no hatred in that.

But it is very apparent that you are unable to do so and instead choose this route. But I asked you to do better, so maybe silence is your choice of how to improve your method of posting.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:35 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How about a hotel? If a hotel is overbooked, should they tell the customer that he cannot stay that night but instead, stay the following night?

This absolutely happens, what they do is book you at the nearest hotel with availability. I've seen it happen with my own eyes - it's called "walking" a guest.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:35 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
They're doing all that from craven cowardice, and fears over the damage to the image of the airline. Doesn't mean they really think what they did was wrong.

The doctor chose the way he would leave the plane......... by his dragging feet. He is a very unlikely hero to me. He probably thought they wouldn't dare do it......... he was wrong.

Now, he's won the jackpot. Doesn't mean he deserves it.

I dont think the doctor is a hero , and have even said in this thread I am not trying to make him out to be John Wayne . But I do respect him for standing his ground. Its something anyone who isnt a sheeple dreams of doing, telling these types " stick it, Im not putting up with your crap". This guy did it, and it seems to infuriate the sheeple to no end.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:36 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You are wrong.

I just watched the video and the man did not scream until the security guard launched into him.

Why lie about something so easy to check?
I said he is screaming well before he hits his face on the armrest of the seat across the aisle. Which he is. He starts screaming as soon as the security officers touch him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies