Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 08:03 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Sooner than later this man will discover that the sad and humiliating treatment will give him 15 min of fame and very well deserved pay check.
Courtesy of the tax payers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 08:03 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
I will never understand how or why people think it is OK to resist what the police are asking you to do. I mean sure it wasn't right HOW they did what they did, but it didn't have to escalate to that point.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I will never understand how or why people think it is OK to resist what the police are asking you to do. I mean sure it wasn't right HOW they did what they did, but it didn't have to escalate to that point.
I'll just say what I would do if I were the cop.

Once he showed me his boarding pass with that seat number, I'd tell the airline that I'd need to get a supervisor in order to remove him and it might be an hour or more.

I bet the airline would reconsider their options then.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:08 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Quote:
It escalated to that point because these people were already seated. They wanted to remove them for united airline employees who obviously showed up late. United screwed up big time in not holding out those seats in the first place.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
It escalated to that point because these people were already seated. They wanted to remove them for united airline employees who obviously showed up late. United screwed up big time in not holding out those seats in the first place.
I fully understand the story and what happened. Obviously United (and most other airlines) don't plan well, but it is within their rights to refuse service to someone, and when they call in the police to enforce those rights, there is nothing to be gained by clutching onto your seat, screaming like a maniac, and refusing their demands.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'll just say what I would do if I were the cop.

Once he showed me his boarding pass with that seat number, I'd tell the airline that I'd need to get a supervisor in order to remove him and it might be an hour or more.

I bet the airline would reconsider their options then.
As an officer you don't have the right to do that, its up to the airline to decide if someone gets removed.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
As an officer you don't have the right to do that, its up to the airline to decide if someone gets removed.
No, airlines can't tell an officer he can't wait for his supervisor.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:16 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Not that I think United was morally right to do what they did, but....

The plane was private property. Standard practice is that they probably have to reimburse the person if taken to court or possibly end up having to cough up money for damages, since they took money in exchange for a promise of specific services and they can not or will preform it, but they can demand someone leave that private property. If the person doesn't leave it is trespassing and therefore breaking the law.

Like everyone else, I think they should have upped the offer, at some point someone would have taken them up on it. Even if they ended up having to pay double or triple the amount they offered it would have better significantly cheaper than what this is going to cost them in attempted damage control.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
No, airlines can't tell an officer he can't wait for his supervisor.
The point is this isn't some consumer debate where you are trying to return an item to a store. The airline has the legal right to request a passenger be removed, the gate agents represent the airlines and the existing rules, there is no need to get a supervisor to enforce an existing rule. Additionally I'm sure it wouldn't take an hour to get someone, not to mention the fact that the pilot would likely chime in and ask the officer to comply with the wishes of the airline and remove the passenger.

It was an unfortunate and ugly situation and I hate the way airlines treat people, but they were within their rights. The officers and the passenger were responsible for the ridiculous behavior that ensued.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:20 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Quote:
I fully understand the story and what happened. Obviously United (and most other airlines) don't plan well, but it is within their rights to refuse service to someone, and when they call in the police to enforce those rights, there is nothing to be gained by clutching onto your seat, screaming like a maniac, and refusing their demands.
Well that is legal point that they will probably lose in a law suit. They contracted with a customer. The customer did not cause an incident on their own volition. United airlines failed to honor their part of the agreement. Yes they may have language in the fine print but that will take the court to hash out whether that language is enforacle and legitimate.

At the end of the day United would of saved a lot more money by dealing with in multiple different ways.

1. Puddle jump the United crew
2. Upped the offers to passengers to give up their seats voluntarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies