Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 05:00 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
To put things into perspective, the bomb was meant to clear out well dug in cave complexes the enemy is hiding in.

We have no business being over there but if we are, do what is needed to assist US forces.
I agree. Since our forces are there assisting Afghani forces, we need to do what is necessary to make sure they come home safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
If we put boots on the ground they'd be gone in a week, tops. Our military is no laughing matter. Make no mistake, we are just being nice right now. If we had the "public opinion" to do it, we would.
What tha? We have had Special Forces guys over there for quite a while now. It's not as easy as going in blowing up and leaving. We are there with the "train, advise and assist" mission.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Are we still at war with Afghanistan?

Do fancy single bombs break up more rocks than fleets of B-52's which have done the same thing?

They say intelligence is the ability to learn from experience or mistakes.

Oh, here is the year-ago announcement of Obama using B-52's and carpet bombing (vastly more efficient than single large bombs in most cases).
B-52 Bombers Deployed To Fight ISIS: Carpet-Bombing To Be Employed Against Terrorists?

Records show we dropped 25,000 bombs in 2016. Assuming many were J-dams and hit an exact target, we can assume a much better effectiveness. Assume the average weight was 500 lbs and that's 1,250,000 pounds of bombs.....but, I know, people like to crush a lot of rocks with a single one. Good PR.
A well worded post by an uninformed person.

If a missile misses you by 50 feet, you go on. Fight some more.

MOAB kills by concussion and heat. Blast radius of 300 meters. No one in that blast radius is going to fight again, or if they do they won't be able to hear.

If you are in a cave without blast doors you will die (that's why the really good caves have blast doors). The concussive force followed by the recovery will collapse your chest first and then suck all the air out of your cave. It's sort of like being a turd stuck way down in a toilet - a plunger will squash you first and then rip you to pieces. So there is no hiding around a corner. It's gonna suck. And you're gonna be dead.

We ain't fighting rocks. We are fighting people. And those people thought they had a hiding place.
Wrong.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
I like when they say they now go check and see if affected the atmosphere- let's see what sinkholes and earthquakes follow in time- not against putting Isis lights out -- but poor momma earth!. I remember few years back there were fires in Africa and of course the earth does spin... within a few days- FL was feeling the effects of that smoke- a lot of people with asthma etc suffered...

take out the leaders -- time to stop making the poor people pay and suffer- for these stupid a$$ men!

Old 04-13-2017, 05:07 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
OMG - that was one of his major talking points - in addition to the other dozens he's already went back on (China, Mexico, NATO, etc.)

AMERICA FIRST
He wouldn't have gone into Iraq (and we can assume other places).

He certainly didn't run on a platform of reinstating the draft and having large body counts.
Large body counts, lets talk about the large body counts when Bush took us over there.....do you remember that? No you probly don't.....my son was over there training the Afghanys to be police.
We were making progress, and those families that lost loved ones, well at least it gave them some sort of reasoning, then of course, Obama comes along, and brings a lot of them home, and guess what, after all those body's lost and all that money we spent, he set us right back to where we started from...so yeah, lets talk about body counts

You people think it's so easy to be a President, yes, they all make promises, but when they get in, they've got all kinds of advisers and secret covert missions checking out these things, and things change, and can change over night....

So, I am so sick and tired of all the cry babies, who hate this administration....your acting like babies and when push comes to shove, ya'll don't know much.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:12 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I like when they say they now go check and see if affected the atmosphere- let's see what sinkholes and earthquakes follow in time- not against putting Isis lights out -- but poor momma earth!. I remember few years back there were fires in Africa and of course the earth does spin... within a few days- FL was feeling the effects of that smoke- a lot of people with asthma etc suffered...

take out the leaders -- time to stop making the poor people pay and suffer- for these stupid a$$ men!
You're kidding, right? You think one bomb of that size is going to affect the Earth?

Wow. Science and math must not be taught in school anymore.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:29 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,323 times
Anyone else think how wonderful it is that in less than 100 days our military, which the Donald said was horribly depleted and led by generals that didn't know how to defeat isis, is now so wonderful and the best in the world. The Donald is just so magical. We truly are blessed to have such a magical and smart president.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:36 PM

13,693 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Trump will have been president for 12 weeks tomorrow, and he just dropped the largest bomb he can drop without going nuclear.
I agree, in part. Mr. Trump has been president for 12 weeks. I am pleased that this particular bomb found good use. However, it appears that its use was decided upon by the commander in Afghanistan, not President Trump.

However, President Trump DID give local commanders much more latitude to use such weapons. I imagine that Mr. Obama would have thought long and hard about using this MOAB, allowing the ISIS people to get wind of it, and so escape.

Hence, I do give President Trump credit for allowing his Generals in the Field authority to make such decisions.

WWII may have turned out quite differently if MacArthur or Patton had to appeal to the President for every action they took.

I understand that as "Commander in Chief', the President bears ultimate responsibility for his generals' actions. Yet, I believe that, often, the General in command has a good idea of what must be done. Good for Trump to give his Generals more power to make field decisions.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
Anyone else think how wonderful it is that in less than 100 days our military, which the Donald said was horribly depleted and led by generals that didn't know how to defeat isis, is now so wonderful and the best in the world. The Donald is just so magical. We truly are blessed to have such a magical and smart president.
Yes! He can do [URL="https://libertyviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/wp-1475460761428.jpg"]this[/URL] as well.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:52 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
Quote:
If you are in a cave without blast doors you will die (that's why the really good caves have blast doors). The concussive force followed by the recovery will collapse your chest first and then suck all the air out of your cave. It's sort of like being a turd stuck way down in a toilet - a plunger will squash you first and then rip you to pieces. So there is no hiding around a corner. It's gonna suck. And you're gonna be dead.
Depends on how the cave is constructed. Vents that allow pressure to bleed out will minimize the over pressure effects. If it's built in sturdy enough material say basalt/granite and not sandstone with the right shoring the blast effects will be minimal. It's said that in WWI German soldiers would place grenades on their helmets while it was on their head and pull the pin. The grenade went off with little effect on the joker doing it. The blast went up and out because of the helmet, the force took the path of least resistance. Bombing the tunnel complexes on the Pacific islands was all but ineffective because of the way they were built.

If this was an FAE (fuel air explosive) bomb that did not PENETRATE to the complex itself I don't think it could have done much harm.

I'd like to see proof of the complexes destruction.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:02 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
You have to admit this is a good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies