Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:10 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
And this pervasive attitude is where the problem lies. So if I own my own company I'm supposed to offer a worker part ownership? This is insane. His compensation is his pay and benefits. If he wants to own a company, start his own. This is precisely why Americans hire immigrants, because so many young Americans are so damn entitled. They think they should be given high salaries, opportunity for ownership for doing a job that others can just as easily do. I supervise 35 Americans and there are probably 5 that have a good work ethic. They are all making around 50K, do not have any education beyond high school, routinely call out sick and act as if they are the hardest working people in the world. They're delusional.
Maybe you're delusional for assuming that $50k/yr entitles you to whatever arbitrary standards you have. That workers will put up with any amount of abuse or working hours to work for someone like you.

That's the point here, labor exists in a market where you bid on it. If you lose the bidding war then you end up with whatever pond scum is left. The world doesn't owe you anything, it doesn't owe you X workers at Y cost who behave in Z fashion.

Last edited by le roi; 04-25-2017 at 06:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Delusional is correct.

These attitudes are the ones that claim they deserve an enormous wage but the work they produce isn't even worth the smallest wage. I have worked many levels of employment and it is always the same, the same attitude that complains about wage is the one that isn't worth hiring anyway. While they stand around complaining, the real workers are too busy getting things done (and they are the ones who move up or move on and excel eventually while the other is still sitting around complaining about their pay).
The value your employees produce is driven less by how hard they work and more by your business model.

If your business model is so flimsy that you can only afford to hire people that upset you, that's your own fault for not providing enough value to your customers. You're not entitled to "hard workers" at "whatever price you feel like paying."

Old 04-25-2017, 06:21 AM

There’s no such thing as a job an American won’t do.

There are such things as jobs that Americans in your geographic area won’t do at the conditions on which you are offering them.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Maybe you're delusional for assuming that $50k/yr entitles you to whatever arbitrary standards you have. That workers will put up with any amount of abuse or working hours to work for someone like you.

That's the point here, labor exists in a market where you bid on it. If you lose the bidding war then you end up with whatever pond scum is left. The world doesn't owe you anything, it doesn't owe you X workers at Y cost who behave in Z fashion.
Skilled labor has been turned into a commodity by the global economy.
Craftsmanship and pride went out the window years ago, for the lowest price and a breathing body.

Remember, you get what you pay for and cheap is never good, while good is never cheap.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:26 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
There’s no such thing as a job an American won’t do.

There are such things as jobs that Americans in your geographic area won’t do at the conditions on which you are offering them.
I think that's true.

I also think there are a lot of people in this country illegally who do not intend to work.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:30 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
That's a nice story, good for those kids. I'm an American who does his own landscaping, not afraid to get dirty here. This country still has some grit

Old 04-25-2017, 08:31 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Cool story, bro...but nearly all the landscapers and tree-cutters in my area are American. I wonder if those same kids would pick strawberries for 12 hours a day and minimum wage?
If California would just go back to the guest worker program it wouldn't be a problem. But no, they like slave labor. It saves them money. You're naive if you think they really have a bleeding heart for Mexicans.

Mexicans want the guest worker program also. It's safer, cleaner, regulated and they don't get crapped on and abused. Fancy that.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:49 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's amazing how much hatred and ridicule a person can receive by the left just by hiring 4 young Americans that want to work, instead of a few illegals. Who would have thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Very good! I only hire Americans. This is not the time to be hiring foreigners.
And this attitude is what I find so disgusting about this thread. What exactly is a foreigner? Someone with brown skin? Someone who doesn't speak English? Someone who was born here from parents born in another country? Someone here on a green card? And why doesn't someone here on a green card deserve a job anyway? What is foreign exactly? Just because a person is blonde haired and blue eyed doesn't mean they aren't foreigners. Just because they're high schoolers doesn't mean they aren't foreigners either. And why is it not the time to be hiring foreigners? I don't understand why someone of you have such a biased attitude toward hiring certain candidates.

You can't have it both ways. Either a person is the best candidate for the job or they aren't. Foreign doesn't even factor in. If an American is stupid or lazy, they don't deserve the job just because they are American. Think of the old quota system and how many people were against it because people of certain ethnicities were selected to fill positions based on their race, sex, or some other quality independent of merit. This is exactly what you are proposing in reverse.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
And this attitude is what I find so disgusting about this thread. What exactly is a foreigner? Someone with brown skin? Someone who doesn't speak English? Someone who was born here from parents born in another country? Someone here on a green card? And why doesn't someone here on a green card deserve a job anyway? What is foreign exactly? Just because a person is blonde haired and blue eyed doesn't mean they aren't foreigners. Just because they're high schoolers doesn't mean they aren't foreigners either. And why is it not the time to be hiring foreigners? I don't understand why someone of you have such a biased attitude toward hiring certain candidates.

You can't have it both ways. Either a person is the best candidate for the job or they aren't. Foreign doesn't even factor in. If an American is stupid or lazy, they don't deserve the job just because they are American. Think of the old quota system and how many people were against it because people of certain ethnicities were selected to fill positions based on their race, sex, or some other quality independent of merit. This is exactly what you are proposing in reverse.
Short answer is that illegals shouldn't be here to begin with and shouldn't be working here period. They broke the law entering this country. They don't have a right to work here as a gardener or brain surgeon. That's a good start.
Secondly, everyone needs to stop confusing illegals with foreigners. They are two very different things.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:42 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Very good! I only hire Americans. This is not the time to be hiring foreigners.
I Assume you're checking the kitchens of every restaurant and market you go to as well then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies