Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 04:55 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Are they though? Or would the truth be closer to America is doing it to itself?

'We don't blame you': Wisconsin farmers on Trump's blast at Canada's dairy industry - World - CBC News

'Don’t point the finger to Canada': Manitoba dairy farmers tell Trump to give his head a shake | Metro Winnipeg

Supply management versus make as much as you can and hope you can sell it somewhere, anywhere, .........please?

This is some of the loooong history behind the latest target of Trump's deflection away from broken promises.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada...lumber_dispute

Any number of challenges regarding softwood placed by America before the WTO have been decided in Canada's favour but that does not stop the U.S. from every few years attempting to impose countervailing duties to yet again start the whole debacle once more.

Here we go again.
i live in Washington state, this has been a big issue for decades. Canada is a very strong competitor, and when currencies move they can completely crush US sales.

So the business here collapsed , not because CAN cheated, but because our nation grew wealthy our currency strong and made it easy for CAN to sell into our market.

And you are completely correct the WTO rules for canada because they not being unfair. Sucks for the logging towns in WA many have vanished or become tourist spots. It is tough. But i bet Canadians get sick of our scale that makes it super hard for them compete in a whole range of industries. I go up there a lot in the winter to enjoy their great snow, and when currencies are the wrong way it is super costly but for the last year or so it is much better value.

I am not "current" on timber, but you have it right, the US goes to the WTO, and the WTO rules. Trump may have put this tariff in but CAN will lodge a complaint and get it sorted one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 04:55 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"Dumping" of foreign products on the US market at below market prices is poor trade practice, and that's what Canada is doing. It's wrong on any level. US manufactures have been hurt, and that translates to job losses. We all want jobs. We want cheap houses too, but at what cost? I support our construction companies, and our US Producers who are being hurt by Canada's trade practices. And if you go to Home Depot, you see a lot of lumber that is from Canada.
Prosperity costs. The race to the bottom costs even more, but not at the moment. Dumping may bring short-term cost benefits, but the hidden costs are much deeper and damaging than the small difference in the cost of raw materials is worth.

If Canada can't dump their lumber here, they'll find another place to dump it. If the lumber used in building my dream home costs a couple of hundred of extra dollars from an American supplier, so what? I don't mind digging a little deeper in my pocket if it helps out my neighbor or his son, or even some other American I'll never know.

I have nothing at all against Canadian industry or its products. They make good stuff. If it is fairly competitive price, so be it. But fairness is still important to me, as is my loyalty to my nation and its people.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:57 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Where do you get more American jobs? The lumber still comes from Canada at a higher price which drives the cost of a house up and lowers the number sold requiring less American labor.
Step away from the blackboard Mr. Economist.

Nobody "doesn't" build a house because of $3,000.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:58 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
This is all well and fine but Canada charges very expensive tariff on American goods and make no bones on protecting Canadian Business.
If Canada's govt wants to enrichen itself at the expense of their own people by making our products more expensive, that is their issue.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:59 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If Canada's govt wants to enrichen itself at the expense of their own people by making our products more expensive, that is their issue.
Then scrap NAFTA if they don't want to abide.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:02 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Step away from the blackboard Mr. Economist.

Nobody "doesn't" build a house because of $3,000.
Actually they do. Everyone has a point where they wont spend money to build, and this shifts that point. It really is basic economics..

Old 04-25-2017, 05:02 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookSearcher View Post
Its CNN for one....so taken with grain of salt 2. I would GLADLY pay 3k more as long as more AMERICANS will have or keep jobs.
The Canadians will still supply the lumber, but going forward, the US government will take a much bigger piece of the action. All of a sudden Republicans think funneling our money to the government is a great idea.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You're missing the point. It isn't about "starting a war." It's about fair trade practices. Canada has been "dumping" their products in the US for decades at below market prices, and US producers have been trying to get something done about it. They are happy that Trump is taking a stand.
You repeatedly saying this does not make it so. Every time this has gone before the WTO where the U.S. agreed to take it, the U.S. lost.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:11 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually they do. Everyone has a point where they wont spend money to build, and this shifts that point. It really is basic economics..
Lol. yes basic economics...in theory. Not in reality.

Ok honey our new house will be $220,000. We're prepared for that. Oh wait now it might be $223,000? Never!!!!!

Old 04-25-2017, 05:17 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Then scrap NAFTA if they don't want to abide.
Uuh; what part of the World Trade Organization deciding multiple times in Canada's favour whenever the U.S. has floated this balloon are you not getting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies